Sony MDR-V6 mods... sound like Grados?
Oct 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Danthrax

100+ Head-Fier
So I bought a pair of MDR-V6's and decided to apply some of the Grado mods to them. What surprised me is how much they remind me of Grados now. Obviously there are differences but these have replaced my sr-80i's as my go to headphones.

The mods:
Dynamat covered back
Silver Plated Cable with 2 ground wires instead of 1
1 extra vented hole on the driver back
Removed the foam plug from the center of the driver
Beyerdynamic Velour pads

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 11
They definitely have more bass than Grado and it sounds more controlled and detailed. And in general they seem slightly more detailed but for portable use when isolation is important they have the Grado feel but in a less in your face way. I wouldn't say get them instead of Grados but if you like Grados and you like modding Grados then you can get a similar sound with more portability out of the these. And tbh I am starting to like these more.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 11
I have had the V6 for years.  I had to fix the plug wires and they could use new earcups.  But I still use them.  Compared to the much newer HD238, the V6 has better mid range and seems more neutral.  These are vintage phones, which are good, but newer models from any vendor will be equal or better.

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 11

So I saw that the drivers come out fairly easily and the are essentially held in by a plastic clip. So I put some dynamat on them so they are a little bit sturdier in the housing and don;t interact directly with the plastic. It seemed to have reduced vibrations from bass a little bit.

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 11
Slightly more bass, but not that much of a difference. It might be worth it if you want to try to get more bass. You can also expose more holes to theoretically add more bass since the driver can move even easier.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 11
interesting.  do you know of any ways to maybe reduce the bass, but keep it clean?  it's presence is much bigger than i expected.  i mean there's always eq i guess. but just wondering.

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 11
I tried to stick the foam back in the drivers, but I realized it took away from the clarity some.  I think it's okay though, I'm starting to get used to it.  Did you notice a difference by scraping off that fabric thing covering all those small holes?  Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back