Sony MDR-V6 Counterfeit comparison thread w/ Pics
Mar 5, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #31 of 98
I bought a pair of MDR-V900 from ebay during Christmas time for $75 that turned out to be fake even though they were labeled "Made in Japan". I filed claim, won, and sent that crap back to seller. Just used $ to buy a used pair of Sennheiser HD-595.

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #32 of 98
Kevin - I did a double take, you are dead right. When new, the Sony's had hardly any bass and for monitoring, I don't normally encounter too much in vocal work. I burned them in for a bit and the bass filled out. I just fed some rock music through them and the bass has now become boomy and horrid. Not so much as a burn-in as being burnt.

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #33 of 98

Quote:
Not so much as a burn-in as being burnt.

beerchug.gif

May 23, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #34 of 98
If you order them directly from China, you can be pretty sure they are counterfeit.  They look good but sound lousy.  I complained to paypal and got all my money back.  I told the seller he can send me another $20 to cover postage back to Shanghai.

Giveaways:  Lousy sound, bag is cheap and Sony lettering is in black, and the plastic insert of the box.  Plus the box and packaging is thin and cheap.

The sad thing is, a lot of people can't tell the difference from listening to them.  I found them unlistenable.  They sound like $20 headphones, which is what they are.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #35 of 98
hey had to revive an old thread.

I bought a fake v6 few years ago and really hated the sound so I just kept it in my drawer until now.
I took it out while I was cleaning and tried them on just for fun.

and what?? Batman!! They sound so much better than how I remember them.

It has a strong highs and comparably punchy bass rather than quantity bass. The highs can be harsh but 
It has a good instrument separation, good resolution, and spatial separation. I am comparing it to my HD650 and DT990
and these fake v6 do not sound like it is $300 cheaper heads. (I think I bought these for $40?? cant remember)

If I EQ the highs down, it sounds excellent. 
Do these fake v6s use same drivers but not tuned properly??

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #36 of 98
I bought a mdr-v6 for 40 (39.99 actually) bucks from amazon. It was a black friday deal. It was being sold by amazon directly (not just fulfilled).

I am yet to get it as I am having it shipped all the way to India. Here's to hoping amazon hasnt started selling fakes...
biggrin.gif

First post BTW. Hello to all!

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #37 of 98
I have updated the pictures in the first post to work again.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #38 of 98
I bought mine off of Amazon, thru the "Amazon LLC" dealer.

i found my pair 100% authentic genuine.

but be careful people, some things may be too good to be true even on amazon.

note: Amazon is a trusted, verified Online dealer for sony.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_Sony_Retailers

Amazon LLC is an authorized Sony dealer. so please be aware about it.

May 4, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #39 of 98
omg.. I compared mine and I found out that there is a huge chance that it might be a fake!!
1st: the bag has the word Sony in black. 
2nd: the drivers in the headphone is similar to the fake one
3rd: there is almost no "click" sound when I adjust the notch 
4th: the packaging is exactly like the fake one 

but the cord is wrapped up when it came and the cups to make full contact with each other when not folded up. 

The headphone has the word: made in thailand 

any chance of it that it might be genuine?

ps: I bought mine from Japan

May 28, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #40 of 98
Guys got these this monday from a seller called Appods from Amazon uk (49 pounds)...

Please help me check if they are legit...

Pouch... (and my aurvana live!'s.. XD )

Made in Thailand...

Plastic that was around the cable and the tape wich is not visible beacause it is also transparent...

Flyers in the plastic (made in thailand) and dotted v6 on the card that comes on the box,...

Pedro Oliveira
Today at 4:32 pm

Card and red cloth...

The plastic insert is not stuck on the sides but it is glued to the box (up and down) so i guess i can say it is part of the box...

Pedro Oliveira
Today at 4:35 pm

Small wrinkles on the headband... But most part is well padded and with no wrinkles. Algo the pads stay together because of the good clamping force...

And to finish the well allined dots on the word digital and even letters....

May 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #41 of 98
Only minor cosmetic flaws i found so far...

The small scratch mark i told you about on the folding mechanism

On both sides...  I guess it is normal... DO you have them?

The slightly part of the pleather pad that remains out... tried to put it in but it stands out again... XD

As you can see really minor cosmetic flaws.....

Sq wise they sound good, nothing exceptional but on the level of my aurvanas in terms of detail but with a different sound signature of course....

Good bass but not covering the other frquencies, slightly recessed and just a tiny little muddy mids (but really almost not noticeable), also the highs stand out a bit with some sibilance sometimes, for example kendrick lamar on swimming pools is kind of "issy" sounding... Only 24 hous of burn in....

Seems like the typical v6 sound sig?

What do you guys think? Real or fake?

Saw every video and pictures i could find about real vs fake and mine seem ok....

Cheers....

Ps: By the way... How do the fakes sound?

May 29, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #44 of 98

Only minor cosmetic flaws i found so far...

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

The small scratch mark i told you about on the folding mechanism

On both sides...  I guess it is normal... DO you have them?

The slightly part of the pleather pad that remains out... tried to put it in but it stands out again... XD

As you can see really minor cosmetic flaws.....

Sq wise they sound good, nothing exceptional but on the level of my aurvanas in terms of detail but with a different sound signature of course....

Good bass but not covering the other frquencies, slightly recessed and just a tiny little muddy mids (but really almost not noticeable), also the highs stand out a bit with some sibilance sometimes, for example kendrick lamar on swimming pools is kind of "issy" sounding... Only 24 hous of burn in....

Seems like the typical v6 sound sig?

What do you guys think? Real or fake?

Saw every video and pictures i could find about real vs fake and mine seem ok....

Cheers....

Ps: By the way... How do the fakes sound?

Last pictures...

Stickers.... (maybe i am just being picky... XD )

Right....

Left...

Headband...

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Full headphones...

Judging from the pictures and such.

I must say they are legit...?

I could provide some pictures of my own. but it would seem as similar to your pictures.

and yes the parts in the folding hinges, the little scratch mark IS there on mine.

being that i bought mine from an Authorized dealer marked by Sony themselves (AmazonLLC)
i could say they ARE legit cans!

so please be in rested thoughts. you should have nothing to worry about.

May 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #45 of 98
Thanks PinoyPogiman. Really good to know that. I've seen every video to check if they are really original and they really seem legit. They are exactly equal to the ones unboxed by hifiguy on youtube. But Most important they sound as many of you describe the original. Good tight bass but not much, only a atiny bit recessed mids and highs above all with a bright and clear sound sig (comparing for example ith my Cal!).

The cool thing in the us is that they are sold directly buy amazon but here in europe although they are fulfilled by amazon they are sold by other sellers. But i am starting to think that probably the us amazon that provides the v6's to those sellers and then they sell them on european amazons. Just a theory....

The seller in this case is named appods and had about 10 000 + ratings and a 98% positive feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back