Sony MDR-V6 Counterfeit comparison thread w/ Pics
Jun 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #46 of 98
Is anyone aware of any new "improvements" counterfeiters may have made to their fake V6's so that they would be even harder to tell? I quickly ordered some directly from Amazon the other day (not a third part seller) because they were only $54 usd shipped, and then the next day they went back up to the usual $69! I'm pretty sure they will be real, but has anyone ever gotten fakes directly from Amazon before?

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #47 of 98
I bugged the hell out of hifiguy528 and he was really a nice guy and for that i must say i am very gratefull. I sent them some pictures of the md rv6 i got last last week and he told me they looked legit the moment he saw this....

He says that the fake ones red sticker as really bad quality when compared to this.

I got mine on amazon uk from a seller called appods. Here in europe the mdr v6's are not sold directly through amazon like in the us unfortunately. Not that it is bad, it just makes feel saffer when you choose to buy something directly sold buy amazon.... specially when you know the v6's are counterfeited as hell....

Once again a very big thank you to hifiguy528 for all his patience.... :)

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #48 of 98
They arrived!!! I have them plugged in and they are detailed and bright just like I remembered when I auditioned them about a week ago. I don't know how people say these have no bass, the bass is not lacking at all on my pair. The only thing mine did not have was the yellow tape on the packaging around the cable; it was clear tape. I also noticed the inside of the carrying bag is a light grey colored canvas material and not velvet like on the fakes, and mine have perfect white lettering. Everything says made in Thailand.  I even checked the metal around the drivers, which are the authentic shaped ones, and all the print on box/ manuals/ headphones was crisp and clear. Build quality seems on par with every other Sony product I've bought and I would just be shocked if these were fakes! 

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #49 of 98
It depends of the content you feed them and equing.... if you listen to them straight of an ipod without any equing the bass is there but it is very light and with little pressure. In this case if the songs are of low quality the bass sounds really bad (loose). Now if you eq them.... I use for example the rock or the eletronica eq on my ipod touch since i listen to edm and believe methe bass is there. They are not bass mosnters like my k518 or the Cal! but to be honest with good eq they have just the right amount of bass and most important of all it is tight and beautifully controled.:)
and you also get more pressure on the sound as well... They are amazing but to be honest if you listen to them with a flat eq the highs are just to much and makes the overall presentation of the sound too harsh, loose, and tiny sounding. They are very eq friendly and that what makes them so great. With just a bit of tuning you can make them sound amazing and believe me if you listen to them on flat again after equing them according to your taste you will see how bad they sound without the eq.

Try to listen to something like rage against the machine or vega by pryda with a flat eq on any source... :wink: You will see why people complain and why equing makes wonders on the v6...

Mine are exactly like yours. Got the clear tape on the cord bag as well.
The only thing that bugged me so for in terms of built quality is that begining of the coiled cord (jack side) looks like a pig's tail while the other side ends in a perfectly round coil... I can live with that though....

The other thing is that my left pleather earpad came a little loose on one of the sides and with just a gentle slide you can easily lift that side of the pad.... but i am not even bothering to replace them because i can probably have to pay for the transportation fees and that is halfway to buy a set of dt250 velour pads...

Edit:

Pig tailed coil on the right (jack side)

Slightly loose pad (only on this side, the rest of the pad fits well so i want to believe it will not get completely loose soon)...

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #50 of 98
I am listening strait out of my laptop without eq. using Spotify most of the time. The Asus laptop I currently have is naturally a bit more bass heavy than my old Toshiba was. Sometimes the highs get a little fatiguing but it hasn't been a problem since I am kind of a treble head anyways and usually keep my devices at lower volumes unless a track just completely is asking to be cranked up :) On my set one earpad wasn't seated all the way, but I could work it in back in there with no problems after that. I also have a slight pigtail on the headphone side of coiling. In the future I am probably going to try either velour pads or some genuine sheepskin leather pads I found online. I am just afraid I may add more bass or treble and/ or lose detail which I do not want to happen.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #51 of 98
Yes it can also depend on the source as well but to be honest i have not plugged to anything beside my nexus 7 and my ipod touch so i cant really say if they perform better on my laptop. I'll try that later but my laptop's sound card is not really from what i recall and thats why i never use it for music listening.

If you also have the slight pigtail then i am not bothering at all since that may vary from unit to unit and if i replace them i can get the same as well.

Tha only thing that bug me is the fact that the sliding mechanism easily moves... if i put them on the number five (i usually use them on size 4 or 5) with just a bit of head movement or something the adjusting mechanism slides down  very easily (not very good grip). But once agin it is not really a bother....

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #52 of 98
There is some movement of my sliding mechanisms sometimes too, but I do get the distinct clicks when going number to number which is a sign of authenticity. Sounds like our pairs possibly came from the same batch

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #53 of 98
I've listened to several counterfeit models. Almost universally, they had incredibly mismatched drivers.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #54 of 98
Mismatched in visual or on then way they sound?

Other thing i noticed is that from sliding up and down the sliding mechanism i got a a continious scratch in the middle of the metal bars (on both). But i reallu dont know if that was already there when i got them. But still a minor thing and not enough to be bothered...

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #55 of 98
Quote:
Mismatched in visual or on then way they sound?

Other thing i noticed is that from sliding up and down the sliding mechanism i got a a continious scratch in the middle of the metal bars (on both). But i reallu dont know if that was already there when i got them. But still a minor thing and not enough to be bothered...

sound

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #56 of 98
My drivers are definitely not mismatched. My sliding mechanisms did not have scratched down the middle when I first got them, but they developed some rather easily. I would think this would prove authenticity since the counterfeits had nothing to resist their sliding and I would think the scratches are from a spring or something.

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #57 of 98
Quote:
Is anyone aware of any new "improvements" counterfeiters may have made to their fake V6's so that they would be even harder to tell? I quickly ordered some directly from Amazon the other day (not a third part seller) because they were only $54 usd shipped, and then the next day they went back up to the usual $69! I'm pretty sure they will be real, but has anyone ever gotten fakes directly from Amazon before?

So maybe I'm not understanding, but are people purposely going out there and buying counterfeit versions of the V6? If so, why?

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #58 of 98

The pig tailed coil hangin' from my ipod.... "Why a pig tail!!?!?!?! Why!?!?!?" XD

The middle sctrach on the midele of the metal...

MY left and right drivers sound exactly the same and ake a perfect match.

My headband "clicks" when i go up a makes a slight sound when going down (like a subtle click but contained (more like a "clock"))

Stillshot2 is it me or do we have twin v6's in every possible way???? XD

We are v6 brothers!!!! XD (stupid joke i know...)

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #59 of 98
@[size=18.18181800842285px]roguegeek[/size]:
I was not looking for fake ones, but read somewhere that third party sellers that say "fulfilled by Amazon" may be mixing their fake mdr-v6's in Amazon's warehouses with the real mdr-v6's. This might just be speculation, but I was asking if anyone ever received fakes directly from Amazon because I was a little worried about the lower than normal price. Mine were, however, real. I also wonder if there may be any newer batches of fakes produced that have fixed the imperfections that threads like this have pointed out. I definitely never want fakes and highly frown upon them!

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #60 of 98
Quote:
@[size=18.18181800842285px]roguegeek[/size]:
I was not looking for fake ones, but read somewhere that third party sellers that say "fulfilled by Amazon" may be mixing their fake mdr-v6's in Amazon's warehouses with the real mdr-v6's. This might just be speculation, but I was asking if anyone ever received fakes directly from Amazon because I was a little worried about the lower than normal price. Mine were, however, real. I also wonder if there may be any newer batches of fakes produced that have fixed the imperfections that threads like this have pointed out. I definitely never want fakes and highly frown upon them!

Gotcha. Yeah, I was just looking for clarification. Was thinking maybe there was so strange thing where people were actually wanting the counterfeit versions of the V6 and I wasn't "in the know."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back