Sony MDR-V6 Counterfeit comparison thread w/ Pics
Dec 7, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #16 of 98
Great guide
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #17 of 98
"It might sound silly, but this should be a dead give-away: Do they have enough clamping force for the cups to make full contact with each other when not folded up? If they do make full contact, they should be real."

Yes, mine do make full contact.    The only question I still have is why the enclosures are plastic.   Aren't these cans supposed to have metal enclosures?

Also, I saw what I believe was probably your post in the Amazon reviews and that is what lead me to research the counterfeit issue.    Thanks.

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 98
2 easy ways to tell the fakes from the real ones:

a) The black "leather" bag they come with.  "Sony" should be in white.

b) There are detents on the metal bands that connect the ear cups to the headband.  The numbers should be more or less in-line with the lines (side by side).  If the numbers are in between the lines, then they are fake.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #19 of 98

My bag has Sony in white.   As well as the bad guys have done on copying the other parts, one would think that they could easily make the effort to use white lettering on the bag.

My numbers are also properly lined up.    Interestingly, I recently saw pictures of one guy's set where the numbers were lined up on the left side and not lined up on the right.   Go figure.

Anyway, I feel pretty good at this point that I have the real thing.

Thanks to all for responding.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #20 of 98
ksb457:

The cups on the V6 and the 7506 have always been made of plastic - apparent if you open them - with a centre cover of aluminum, showing in the lettering "SONY", "DYNAMIC STEREO HEADPHONES" and "MDR-V6" on the cups' sides.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #21 of 98
I recently got my MDR-V6s from a seller on Ebay after waiting for them for at least 7 days, and I got a fake pair. Almost everyone of the counterfeit pair's features were present with my copy, such as...

1. The headband on mine have little to no clamping force.
  2. The sound quality is Sub Par at best.

and so on and so on. The only thing it had that resembled the authentics was the fact that the cable was wrapped up.

I'm P'ed off...

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #22 of 98

Quote:
Quote:
In all of the pictures that have both headphones in the same shot, the fake one is the one on the right and the authentic pair is the one on the left.

Sigh...

In that case I have a fake pair. Eurgh.

The pink material is sloppily attached on my copy.
The printing is on a plastic insert behind the front of the box on my copy.
I can't remember if the cord was wrapped up or not, but I don't think it was.
I feel like the material on the headband is fairly tight, and there is a click when for each notch... but maybe not to the standard of real ones.
My cord probably looks more like the fake one.
The configuration of my holes looks like the fake one.
And neither driver has anything printed on it, as per the photo of the real V6 posted.

I spent hours looking at them when I got them, comparing to photos on the internet, trying to decide if they were real or fake.
To me, they sound good, better than any other headphones, but...

Quote:
I feel bad for anyone who bought a pair and thinks they are real, as they simply don’t know what they are missing.

I'm as disappointed as I am pissed off. I gave the seller good feedback, which is annoying, and on top of that I payed more for these fake ones than most did for fake V6s.

Any advice on what I should do now..? :frowning2:

I feel the same way man. And it's even more frustrating that these fakes actually sound good. Really good. The best headphones I've ever owned. But still.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #23 of 98
Thanks for the comparison.  I've got some V6s that I've had since 1994, bought in a Service Merchandise (long since out of business).  Mine say made in Japan.  Definitely real, they match every point you showed. 
I love these.  The only complaint has been the earcups which split and peeled.  I replaced them twice and then foudn out about the beyerdynamic pad.  Those pads are great.

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #24 of 98
I just ordered a V6 from Amazon.  Sold and shipped by Amazon.  I'll report back if I get a real or fake one.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #25 of 98

Quote:
I recently got my MDR-V6s from a seller on Ebay after waiting for them for at least 7 days, and I got a fake pair. Almost everyone of the counterfeit pair's features were present with my copy, such as...

1. The headband on mine have little to no clamping force.
  2. The sound quality is Sub Par at best.

Quote:
I feel the same way man. And it's even more frustrating that these fakes actually sound good. Really good. The best headphones I've ever owned. But still.

Eh?  You seem to have contradicted yourself.

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #28 of 98
I bought 7506's from eBay this year, new, about £40 from China. They are very similar design to the V6's and my headband is taut, like the authentic pair. The sound characteristic is very good, highly detailed with good bass. They run in over a matter of weeks to produce more bass. There is nothing cheap about the construction that I can tell, although I do have the plain black drawstring bag. If this is a copy, it is a damn good copy and worth every penny (cent). It would seem that there are authentic bargains out there.

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #29 of 98

Quote:
I bought 7506's from eBay this year, new, about £40 from China. They are very similar design to the V6's and my headband is taut, like the authentic pair. The sound characteristic is very good, highly detailed with good bass. They run in over a matter of weeks to produce more bass. There is nothing cheap about the construction that I can tell, although I do have the plain black drawstring bag. If this is a copy, it is a damn good copy and worth every penny (cent). It would seem that there are authentic bargains out there.

Not my experience.  My fakes sounded like crap.  Very boomy (and awful) bass.  Very easy to hear that they were not authentic  If you do not have the "Sony" embossed in white on the bag, then they are most probably fakes, and I think you are fooling yourself that they'd sound as good as the real thing.

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #30 of 98
Interesting - I bought them as monitor headphones for video sound recording. I also have HD650's, SR60's and SR225i's for listening for pleasure. The Sony are certainly a different 'flavour' but I guess for my purposes, their solid folding construction and price make them ideal for the task. Shame, if they are fakes, that the Chinese feel compelled to copy somebody else rather than stand on their own to feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back