Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #512 of 517
Any trusted spare cushions lot from Ali? My originals started to molt. I am not
a big fan of 7506, but use them as cheap closed headphones.

BSW - Broadcast Supply Worldwide. Caution though: they are extreeeeemely tight, and can be torn if not carefully stretched around the edges and into the grooves that hold the pads in place on these two models. The pair are authentic, and the plastic envelope is marked 'MDRV6' plus a string of other characters. Their price is fair though.

I still maintain that the MDR-7506 ear plates - the flat surface closest to the ears when wearing them - are perhaps 1-2mm greater in diameter than the equivalent part on the MDR-V6 - which might explain that tight fit. Although, I broke and discarded my V6s decades ago, and bought both of my 7506s new within the last 11 years, so I have no direct comparison

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #515 of 517
By the way, Admins:

I checked 'Keep me logged in' when logging in after site upgrades this weekend, but am still getting logged out after periods of inactivity. Has been happening only since the upgrade period, not before.

Dec 19, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #516 of 517
I've recently "rediscovered" my V6's. I replaced them as my daily driver 6 or 7 years back after I got a crazy deal on HD25 Amperiors which genuinely seemed to trump them out of the box ... at the time.

I had given up replacing the pads after 17 years of use the headband was developing the same leprosy as the 5 or 6 pairs of pads did and the cable was all sticky and somewhat "grotty" at this point with masses of corrosion on the jack. Time to let them retire I thought and stuck them in a storage container. Until a week or so ago when I found them doing a clean up.

So I was on a local shopping site, and came across ALL the parts available to "rebuild" them - not original parts of course, but reckoned worth a punt at the prices, not expecting too much.

Headband, decent enough looking, although the print is white rather than silver and not as textured like the original.

The ear pads I got are absolutely amazing, really plush with memory foam cores. They feel similar to the MDR-R1 pads, but deeper.

A "beats" Studio semi-coiled knockoff cable looked nice and a good match cosmetically, so I snagged one of them as well.

Grand total in USD : $20 !

So all parcels arrived and managed to get everything soldered up today... put them on and WHOA !

I was treated to a whole mass of stereo separation that was missing on the Amperiors, oodles of ear-rocking luxurious tight sounding bass and a far less harsh mid section than the Amperiors with much more comfort. I was hearing things that were just not apparent with the Amperiors, fret slides, amp hum etc ...

I'm not sure if it was the 17 years of high volume burn in when I used to gig them a couple times a week, the new pads (which are really quite deep with good seals) or just that they simply feel so dang "different" to the HD25's. But I genuinely feel like I just got an ear transplant !

Damn I love these things and so glad I found them again.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #517 of 517
I listened to my V6 today for the first time in years and with my new dac and amps they sound as good or better on many things than what I had been using for my go to headphones and they are more comfortable as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back