Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #408 of 517
Hey,

Anyone experience with lining the driver back/case with acoustic dampening material? how would that influence the sound? increase or decrease in bass?

Also, I was planning to mod them pretty heavily the coming week(s). I already made the cable removable, and had two (or three) mods in mind.

* Acoustic lining on the inside of the cups with either reflective (wood/plastic laminate) or dampening (tacky rubber, foamsheet). No clue on how it'll influence the sound though. Anyone able to help with that?

From another head-fi thread, the insides of the v6/7506. How would poking holes in/removing the felt driver backing influence the sound? there is already one hole. Is my hypothesis correct that removing the felt will increase the bass because there is less air resistance on the drivers?

\

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #409 of 517
The Poly kinda makes the driver think it's situated in a larger enclosure. It also has some dampening properties. It's impossible to predict its effect on the cans. I'd suggest trying varying amounts of the Poly to tune the sound, if you like what it does.

Please let us know how this turns out. Good luck,

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #411 of 517
  Hey,

Anyone experience with lining the driver back/case with acoustic dampening material? how would that influence the sound? increase or decrease in bass?
  Also, I was planning to mod them pretty heavily the coming week(s). I already made the cable removable, and had two (or three) mods in mind.
   * Acoustic lining on the inside of the cups with either reflective (wood/plastic laminate) or dampening (tacky rubber, foamsheet). No clue on how it'll influence the sound though. Anyone able to help with that?

From another head-fi thread, the insides of the v6/7506. How would poking holes in/removing the felt driver backing influence the sound? there is already one hole. Is my hypothesis correct that removing the felt will increase the bass because there is less air resistance on the drivers?
  \

I do not recommend removing the felt, unless you intend to compensate for its absence, otherwise the headphone will probably become a resonance fest.  It's the same with almost all headphones.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #412 of 517

I do not recommend removing the felt, unless you intend to compensate for its absence, otherwise the headphone will probably become a resonance fest.  It's the same with almost all headphones.

hah, good to know.

I´ve tried varying a amounts of tacky rubber in the cups, and, honestly, I cannot reccomend anything beyond a very thin layer of that stuff.
The highs come a bit forward, and even a bit more detailed I feel, but there is so much mid sucked away that most music feels like needles stabbing your eardrums. on my Sansa clip+ I had to eq the treble down by 12(!) db down to keep it in check... pre-mod I only had to use -4 or -6 at most for some sax-heavy jazz tracks.

The bass doesnt reach quite as deep and lost a bit of its fabulous texture and resolution. the lower midbass does get a bump in volume...

All in all, I honestly dont think this (tacky rubber lining) mod is for me. Next up is the foam matting and wool/cotton fluff.

On another note, I was looking to import a cd900st as an upgrade for these babies. I REALLY want to buy/try them, having heard about their legendary mids. Being a poor student and all, is it worth taking the risk and importing them on a whim? I dont see many other options in the 150 euro pricerange that tickled my fancy...

May 3, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #414 of 517
  Are they completely circumaural? If the inside diameter on the pads is smaller than that on my HD600, they will then be on-ear headphones for me, and unusable as such.

They do go around most people's ears fine, but the main issue is not the inside diameter but the depth of the pads. It is very shallow and most likely your ears will touch the driver covering inside. There are deeper third party pads available but they'll most likely change the sound to some degree.

May 3, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #415 of 517

They do go around most people's ears fine, but the main issue is not the inside diameter but the depth of the pads. It is very shallow and most likely your ears will touch the driver covering inside. There are deeper third party pads available but they'll most likely change the sound to some degree.

Thank you. Do you happen to know which pads would do that? If they were any closer than the HD600 driver coverings, my ears would touch them. This makes me want to take them off in minutes. I think I could live with the change in sound delivery. 

May 3, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #416 of 517
  Thank you. Do you happen to know which pads would do that? If they were any closer than the HD600 driver coverings, my ears would touch them. This makes me want to take them off in minutes. I think I could live with the change in sound delivery. 

I unfortunately couldn't tell you from personal experience, but from the reviews of the others in the past and just by looking at the depth of the pads, these may be a good candidate:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=998386&gclid=CP2ljpC_psUCFQcdaQodz30Atw&Q=&is=REG&A=details

May 4, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #418 of 517
Thank you guys. I'm going to order both of these pads and I'm sure there'll be use for both.

V6 (and 7506) are often reported to be harsh-sounding phones. They say Shure SRH440s are in the same class and don't have the V6 harshness. But the build quality on the V6 seems better and I feel like taking a chance with it.

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #419 of 517
Brainwavz HM5 pleather pads. They also make the highs less peaky with a more controlled low-end.

Thank you guys. I'm going to order both of these pads and I'm sure there'll be use for both.

V6 (and 7506) are often reported to be harsh-sounding phones. They say Shure SRH440s are in the same class and don't have the V6 harshness. But the build quality on the V6 seems better and I feel like taking a chance with it.
I just bought a pair of the V6's with a removable cable mod for 15$. I slapped HM5 pads on them and I can say it's one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever used. Sound wise I find them on par with the K240 studio from memory, with these having the edge in much much better bass, but with more harshness in the upper mids and treble, and not as smooth and warm, and soundstage isn't near as good... I think they're an excellent sounding headphone, and from memory, I do also prefer these to the ATH-M50 and M50X.

EDIT: Build wise... They feel more solid than either headphone. By a large margin.

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #420 of 517

V6/7506 is better built.  Shures are all plastic, not even on par with Sennheiser plastic cans by a longshot.  The Shures make V6 look like it is made to survive being used on the frontlines of a world war by comparison, and by Shures I mean SRH440/840/940.  I'm assuming 240 is no better, if not a little worse, than 440.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back