SONY MDR-V55 vs. SHURE SRH 240 vs. HD439 vs. MDR-XB600 vs. Pioneer HDJ-500
Mar 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BalaVerde

New Head-Fier
Hello,

so I am looking for some headphones under 100$, I've been studying this forum, dozen of reviews, unboxings etc etc. and still I have no idea what to pick.

Currently I am using Creative Aurvana Live!, they offer good sound, but the build quality is terrible and as for now they are sort of super-glued together. Anyway, I am looking for something to match CAL's sound quality with more solid build. Would be nice to have good comfort and Beats design (just kidding :wink:)

So far, from what I've read and heard myself:

1. MDR-V55 nice sound, but the test model in the shop was making this awful cracking noice, while I was adjusting, so Im not sure they cover the "good build quality" aspect.
2. Shure - great CAL alternative from what I've read, I think my favourite, altho I've come across some reviews that they are uncomfy and "not worth buying if u can add a bit more $ for 440". If only 440 had 240's design...
3. HD439 - nice design, they seemed comfy when I put them on, but it seems like all cheap-plastic, especially where the headband meets the cups, I'm having CAL's deja vu looking at that.
4. XB600 not sure about the ear cups nor about the sound
5. Pioneer - detachable cable, nice design, cool slide to the side feature, but I've read that they break almost by looking at them :). And I have no idea if they ever match CAL's sound.

Please help, Im going crazy over this. My decision making skills are just horrible.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 12
Sony MDR-V6 (~$70) and Sony MDR-7506 (~$90)

The difference between the two is that the 7506 has supposedly better wiring, a gold plug instead of nickel, and a sticker that reads "Professional".

Probably the best built headphones under $100. Metal driver housings, headband, and hinges, high quality plastic everywhere else. Mine have been through quite a few accidents pretty much intact, and you can find stories of MDR-V6/7506 surviving years of abuse everywhere. Also very comfy (imho). 

Sound is fairly neutral, but somewhat V shaped, with slightly more treble emphasis than bass. Analytical/unforgiving depending on whether you like that trait or not. They are also very easy to mess around with equalization with. 

Compared to the CAL, V6 is more neutral, less bassy, and less forgiving. I personally prefer the sound of the V6 though there are a lot of people that prefer the CAL. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 12
Hey, thanks for the answer.
However, for reasons I dont understand, there are a few headphones that normally here fall under this price range, but here where I live (Poland) they are much more expensive. So you wrote $70 for V6, I found them for $170 and 7506 for around 150$. Similar story with ATM-M50 and a couple of others (Grados), not sure why, but what can you do.

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 12
Didn't notice you had replied, sorry. So no MDR-V6... 

Hmmm...
I would check about the MDR-V55 again. Build quality isn't the best, but I don't remember them as being that horrible when I played around with them. 

As for the XB600. Sound: lots of bass, okay everything else. Super comfy though, just like the rest of the XB series. 

Also, JVC S500? It isn't sold outside of Asia, but finding a merchant that imports it isn't hard (at least in the US), and they have good sound quality, and still pretty cheap (unless Poland has massive import fees on stuff from Japan). Build quality is decent. The only problem is that since its import only, unless you can find someone you know that can let you try them, you are pretty much buying blind. 

btw, there is a big thread for recommendations. You should probably post there. There are a lot of people there which makes it hectic and confusing and I generally avoid it, but you're more likely to get your questions answered there simply because there is more traffic. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 12
With V55 if the cable goes that must be pretty much game over? I really like the look of them, I wish I haven't gone to the shop to see them, the test unit must had been beaten up hence the cracking. Simultaneously I probably went past XB600 without bothering to check them, coz I didnt back then know that they are follow-ups to legendary(?) XB500s, they also do look very cool imo.

I wish there was a shop where you could just test them all. Here it's like there are only Sennheisers and Sonys

As for JVC I found one unit at auctions site, for around 70$, but USED. Also warranty probably will be a problem if anything goes wrong since there is no official distribution as you mentioned.

Nevertheless thanks for replying

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 12
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Free-Shipping-JVC-Victor-HA-S500-B-Black-Headphones-gift-new-NIB-japan-/170969234556?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item27ce8f7c7c

Free shipping from Japan for $56 US.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 12
How about the Noontec Zoro?
-Under $100
-Detachable cord
-Good sound quality
-And it has your most important demand..... Beats design

Tyll says the sound quality is a bit better then the CAL!

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
How about the Noontec Zoro?
-Under $100
-Detachable cord
-Good sound quality
-And it has your most important demand..... Beats design

Tyll says the sound quality is a bit better then the CAL!

Interesting, never heard about them. Yea I was joking about the Beats, I havent even seen Beats IRL, but what the hell I might consider those Noontec. I could also add Philips Uptowns, I was testing them, they seemed nice allround. What do you think about them?

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Interesting, never heard about them. Yea I was joking about the Beats, (me too 
tongue_smile.gif
) I havent even seen Beats IRL, but what the hell I might consider those Noontec. I could also add Philips Uptowns, I was testing them, they seemed nice allround. What do you think about them?

Sorry I've never had a chance to try them so I don't know how they sound like, but from what I've read about them they're better than the M50, and a bit light on bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back