Sony MDR-SA5000 vs Everything Else!
May 15, 2010 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

crumpler

500+ Head-Fier
Just a brief background:
I'm currently a proud owner of a pair of SA5000s and have been enjoying them for a month or so. My very basic setup is as follows: Laptop -> Flac/320Kbps via Foobar2000(ASIO4ALL) -> USB -> Nuforce HDP -> SA50000.

To be honest, this is my most expensive headphone to date and i've tried several others but didn't seem to like them as much as the SA5000s. The Shure SRH840s were way too heavy and uncomfortable for me to enjoy music for hours on end. The MS-1is being supra-aural were uncomfortable after a while. The Bose AEs were supremely comfortable but were too bass heavy and lacked any real detail. The AT M50s were comfortable but i felt the bass were not defined and it lacked the detail throughout its entire spectrum.

Seeing that i'm not looking to change my desktop setup anytime soon, would i really benefit from an upgrade to one of the premier headphones like the HD800, T1 or LCD2? What i really like in the SA5000s are its speed, detail and definition, soundstage as well as comfort and weight. Before getting the SA5000s, i thought the UM3x were really fast and detailed, but upon the arrival of the SA5000s, i finally understood how fast and detailed a headphone can be. And now i'm really suckered into hearing even the most tiny nuances in my music. After doing some A/B with the above listed headphones, i really appreciate the clarity of the SA5000s and it appears crystal clear compared to all the other headphones i've had the pleasure of owning.

I've tried looking up threads comparing the SA5000s to the other top tier headphones from the more established names in the industry but have so far been disappointed since majority of the threads are dated back from 05/06/07 when neither the HD800s, T1s nor the LCD2s were around. I'm really considering these top tier headphones if i can spot an appreciable difference using my current setup with the said headphones.

Does anyone have the SA5000s as well as other top tier headphones that can enlighten me if i'm really missing out a huge chunk of the "listening experience"? What i'm looking for as a response would be something like this, "if you think the SA5000s are detailed, wait till you here the  ________"! Or "if you do enjoy the soundstage of the SA5000s, you ain't heard nothing yet beside the _______!"

Many thanks in advance! :)

May 15, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 51
Yes, I sold my SA5000 in favor of the DT48..Even more speed, detail, clarity, IMO then the SA5000 minus the hot teble & brightness.. But the Bass extension lacks compared to the SA5000, & the sound stage is a bit smaller.. Also, from my experience, the DT48 performs best with certain genres, & are a shock to the ears upon first listening. I think all listeners had a What experience when they first tried them.

Quote:
Just a brief background:
I'm currently a proud owner of a pair of SA5000s and have been enjoying them for a month or so. My very basic setup is as follows: Laptop -> Flac/320Kbps via Foobar2000(ASIO4ALL) -> USB -> Nuforce HDP -> SA50000.

To be honest, this is my most expensive headphone to date and i've tried several others but didn't seem to like them as much as the SA5000s. The Shure SRH840s were way too heavy and uncomfortable for me to enjoy music for hours on end. The MS-1is being supra-aural were uncomfortable after a while. The Bose AEs were supremely comfortable but were too bass heavy and lacked any real detail. The AT M50s were comfortable but i felt the bass were not defined and it lacked the detail throughout its entire spectrum.

Seeing that i'm not looking to change my desktop setup anytime soon, would i really benefit from an upgrade to one of the premier headphones like the HD800, T1 or LCD2? What i really like in the SA5000s are its speed, detail and definition, soundstage as well as comfort and weight. Before getting the SA5000s, i thought the UM3x were really fast and detailed, but upon the arrival of the SA5000s, i finally understood how fast and detailed a headphone can be. And now i'm really suckered into hearing even the most tiny nuances in my music. After doing some A/B with the above listed headphones, i really appreciate the clarity of the SA5000s and it appears crystal clear compared to all the other headphones i've had the pleasure of owning.

I've tried looking up threads comparing the SA5000s to the other top tier headphones from the more established names in the industry but have so far been disappointed since majority of the threads are dated back from 05/06/07 when neither the HD800s, T1s nor the LCD2s were around. I'm really considering these top tier headphones if i can spot an appreciable difference using my current setup with the said headphones.

Does anyone have the SA5000s as well as other top tier headphones that can enlighten me if i'm really missing out a huge chunk of the "listening experience"? What i'm looking for as a response would be something like this, "if you think the SA5000s are detailed, wait till you here the  ________"! Or "if you do enjoy the soundstage of the SA5000s, you ain't heard nothing yet beside the _______!"

May 15, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 51
I tried the SA5K some years ago and was deeply impressed by it's speed, resolution and build quality. Too bad I didn't like its tone, waaay too cold and sharp, and there was a slight metallic peak in the mids that didn't suit to my listening habits.

May 15, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 51
That's strange. I've read somewhere before that the SA5000 has very little soundstage, especially considering it's an open headphone. Do you hear your music as if it came from inside or outside of your head?

May 15, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 51
Indeed the soundstage isn't very wide but also not at all small-in-your-face-conjested. It's very well defined, Imaging is top notch but it lacks some depth and space. But it's the least problem with them IMO, the 2 major drawbacks are bass impact, which is even weaker than K701 if memory serves me right, and tonalilty that is agree is too coldish and though i don't find it sharp really just somwhat unnatural. 

Other than these 2 issues they are amazing cans, SSSOOO airy and the effortless presentation is unlike any other i've heard   

May 15, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 51
The soundstage if fine on the SA5000.. It's only small compared to headphones like the K501/701/AD700.. To the op, I'd also recommend the Sony CD900ST. One person claims their tonal balance is on par with the O2.. & he has experience with high end headphones like the K1000.. You should look towards reference grade studio monitor cans which offer many benefits over 'audiophile.' headphones.. The SA5000 was my technical reference headphone. I didn't think any open, dynamic head headphone could better then in their technical merits.. Headphones in production.. This was before the HD800/T1.. But I read that a member who was selling the DT48 stated it's more detailed then the SA5000 in the mid range.. So I bite.. & the DT48 is technically much better then the SA5000, to the point I sold my SA5000.. It does more right then wrong compared to the SA5000. Theres also the 4070 which is even more resolving then the DT48..

Quote:
That's strange. I've read somewhere before that the SA5000 has very little soundstage, especially considering it's an open headphone. Do you hear your music as if it came from inside or outside of your head?

May 15, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 51
Honestly, I feel if you have the SA5K you need one of the DT48's also.  They compliment each other so well.  But for me the SA5K is a better all around "detailed" can.  The comfort factor kicks it over the edge.  I can wear the SA5K for hours on end and hardly even notice they are on.  Not so with the DT48's

But I would not sell either of these cans.  They are for me are what I desire in detail and clarity.   Each one has its merits.

May 15, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 51
Didn't you say the DT48e 25ohm was more detailed in the big DT48 thread?

Quote:
Honestly, I feel if you have the SA5K you need one of the DT48's also.  They compliment each other so well.  But for me the SA5K is a better all around "detailed" can.  The comfort factor kicks it over the edge.  I can wear the SA5K for hours on end and hardly even notice they are on.  Not so with the DT48's

But I would not sell either of these cans.  They are for me are what I desire in detail and clarity.   Each one has its merits.

May 15, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 51

Quote:
The soundstage if fine on the SA5000.. It's only small compared to headphones like the K501/701/AD700.. To the op, I'd also recommend the Sony CD900ST. One person claims their tonal balance is on par with the O2.. & he has experience with high end headphones like the K1000.. You should look towards reference grade studio monitor cans which offer many benefits over 'audiophile.' headphones.. The SA5000 was my technical reference headphone. I didn't think any open, dynamic head headphone could better then in their technical merits.. Headphones in production.. This was before the HD800/T1.. But I read that a member who was selling the DT48 stated it's more detailed then the SA5000 in the mid range.. So I bite.. & the DT48 is technically much better then the SA5000, to the point I sold my SA5000.. It does more right then wrong compared to the SA5000. Theres also the 4070 which is even more resolving then the DT48..

Wow! I've never even considered the DT48 before! I'll be sure to do some research on it now. To be honest tho, i can't imagine a pair of headphones being faster and more detailed than the SA5000s but then again, i've only been in this for 5 months.

Quote:

If you love the SA5000 then try the CD3000 if you can get hold of one,it has everything that the SA has and a whole heap more.

CD3000? Yeah, i was kinda looking at these sister phones a while ago as well and if my memory serves me well, there's actually one now on sale at headphile.com yes? Albeit highly modified version of it.

I'm looking intently at the LCD2s as well and am quite interested in the planar technology since being fast and detailed are some of the inherent traits of planar phones. I'm just kinda waiting for the dust to settle on the other LCD2 thread and people to stop gushing and start listening. They look solidly built for 1k and don't require any post-purchase modifications to sound their best.

Anybody in Perth with a HD800/T1/LCD2 i could audition with? :)

May 15, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 51
Maybe upgrade source and amp? I'm sure these cans will scale a bit more, and even if you upgraded to the HD800/T1, they deserve a better amp than the HDP.

May 16, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 51
Well.. The newer DT48e models, the differences are pretty small..The SA5000 have a very slight veil to them.. The vintage DT48e 25 ohm are a bit better.. & the NAGRA 50's, 5 ohm model, is IMO, the king of all DT48 that I owned, which have been 11. & clarity is much improved over both the vintage DT48e 25 ohm & SA5000.. Too be frank, I didn't think any headphone would better the SA5000 in detail and clarity..Dynamic headphone still in production. So I was very surprised.. I'm a huge SA5000 fan myself, & regret selling my pair..

The DT48 is just a acquired taste.. Upon first listen you won't know what to make of them, 'unremarkable' or bland might come to mind. I was having buyers remorse for the first hr I had them, then things started to click for me. You will never hear a headphone like the DT48.. That doesn't mean in a good or bad way.. Compared to the SA5000 the DT48 has a some what 'muted' treble, albeit, the newer models have better treble extension, & generally less bass impact then the SA5000.. Smaller SS.. But the DT48 are not bright or fatiguing.. Some might argue they sound too polite & maybe even laid back. & are tonally sound compared to the SA5000. The biggest difference is comfort.. The SA5000 wins this hands down. If you are serious about the DT48.. I'd really audition a pair first, or buy used.. I think the newer models would suit you best. They sound more conventional then the older models.. The 25 ohm model. They have many of the same strengths, yet are so different.. You still might find the SA5000 to be more detailed & just as fast.. Different ears, amps, source..

Quote:
Wow! I've never even considered the DT48 before! I'll be sure to do some research on it now. To be honest tho, i can't imagine a pair of headphones being faster and more detailed than the SA5000s but then again, i've only been in this for 5 months.

CD3000? Yeah, i was kinda looking at these sister phones a while ago as well and if my memory serves me well, there's actually one now on sale at headphile.com yes? Albeit highly modified version of it.

I'm looking intently at the LCD2s as well and am quite interested in the planar technology since being fast and detailed are some of the inherent traits of planar phones. I'm just kinda waiting for the dust to settle on the other LCD2 thread and people to stop gushing and start listening. They look solidly built for 1k and don't require any post-purchase modifications to sound their best.

Anybody in Perth with a HD800/T1/LCD2 i could audition with? :)

May 16, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

I currently own the SA5000 along with the Sony Qualia 010, Grado HP1000/HP2, JH Audio JH13, and Audio-Technica AD2000, along with my electrostatic headphones (Stax OII MKI and SR-X MKIII). My opinion is that the SA5K is more "detailed" than the average headphone (beating out specifically the K701 which I also have, and the HD600, which I used to have at the same time), but if you want more "detail" it'll cost substantially more money. I'd call the Qualia an "improved" version of the SA5K but the SA5K is very good on its own.

I also now have the Beyer T1 but have put in very little listening on it so far and cannot offer any impressions on it. Edit: forgot I also still own the HE-5.

May 16, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:
Maybe upgrade source and amp? I'm sure these cans will scale a bit more, and even if you upgraded to the HD800/T1, they deserve a better amp than the HDP.

Wow! I never thought i'ld have to upgrade my source, dac and amp for a while at least. As far as i understand, streaming digital data through USB would be one of the purest way for sound reproduction? I guess i could start looking at the M2tech Hiface but from what i gathered after reading the thread on it, reducing digital jitter wouldn't be as significant as compared to say changing my headphones. And it is also my understanding that the DAC on the HDP is a gem of sorts, with the AMP at least above average, so i wouldn't call my source, dac or amp limiting by any measure. I could be wrong of course! :)

Quote:
Well.. The newer DT48e models, the differences are pretty small..The SA5000 have a very slight veil to them.. The vintage DT48e 25 ohm are a bit better.. & the NAGRA 50's, 5 ohm model, is IMO, the king of all DT48 that I owned, which have been 11. & clarity is much improved over both the vintage DT48e 25 ohm & SA5000.. Too be frank, I didn't think any headphone would better the SA5000 in detail and clarity..Dynamic headphone still in production. So I was very surprised.. I'm a huge SA5000 fan myself, & regret selling my pair..

The DT48 is just a acquired taste.. Upon first listen you won't know what to make of them, 'unremarkable' or bland might come to mind. I was having buyers remorse for the first hr I had them, then things started to click for me. You will never hear a headphone like the DT48.. That doesn't mean in a good or bad way.. Compared to the SA5000 the DT48 has a some what 'muted' treble, albeit, the newer models have better treble extension, & generally less bass impact then the SA5000.. Smaller SS.. But the DT48 are not bright or fatiguing.. Some might argue they sound too polite & maybe even laid back. & are tonally sound compared to the SA5000. The biggest difference is comfort.. The SA5000 wins this hands down. If you are serious about the DT48.. I'd really audition a pair first, or buy used.. I think the newer models would suit you best. They sound more conventional then the older models.. The 25 ohm model. They have many of the same strengths, yet are so different.. You still might find the SA5000 to be more detailed & just as fast.. Different ears, amps, source..

There, right there is the deal breaker for me, the comfort and lack of bass impact. I wouldn't mind a listen on the DT48s and there's actually one that just got posted FS here in Australia. Hmmm.

Quote:
This damn headphone is still interesting to me. Gah.

I'll be in Brisbane at the end of year and if i still have the SA5000s, i'll be sure to bring it with me when i head over. :)

Quote:
I currently own the SA5000 along with the Sony Qualia 010, Grado HP1000/HP2, JH Audio JH13, and Audio-Technica AD2000, along with my electrostatic headphones (Stax OII MKI and SR-X MKIII). My opinion is that the SA5K is more "detailed" than the average headphone (beating out specifically the K701 which I also have, and the HD600, which I used to have at the same time), but if you want more "detail" it'll cost substantially more money. I'd call the Qualia an "improved" version of the SA5K but the SA5K is very good on its own.

I also now have the Beyer T1 but have put in very little listening on it so far and cannot offer any impressions on it.

Wow! Nice collection of headphones you have there! How do they compare to the JH13s in particular? I was actually intending to get the JH16s sometime in the near future as a pair of do-it-all earphones but i'm having second thoughts since i'm pretty sure my UM3Xs would be a good enough portable earphones when out and about and having the JH16s would be an overkill. So i'm kinda looking for a full sized instead for my listening when indoors. However, if the JH16/13s do prove to be that good, i would just settle for them and call it a day, whether when indoors or out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back