Sony MDR-SA5000 review
Dec 11, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #61 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Interesting; for what reasons did you prefer the CD3ks over the SA5ks?

The songs felt more alive. I choose the one that sounds more alive and/or overall more enjoyable sounding.

-Alex-

Dec 11, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #62 of 239
Quote:

I just don't have the sources to know what's good and what's not

I recommend Venetian Snares, Astral Projection, VNV Nation, Aphex Twin. If you want to try something a bit different Boards of Canada is great also.

Try the service Pandora.com you type in someone you like and they recommend a song/group its awesome. Soulseek has some very knowledgeable people in its chatrooms.

Also if you REALLY want to learn everything about Electronic Music join the IDM mailing list @ http://music.hyperreal.org/lists/idm/

A lot of music experts on that list, it has been around since 1995 and a lot of musicians hang out on it.

Quote:

you're running the SA5k's off of a G-Lite? You don't find the combination to be too bright? I'd really like The Hornet, but I'm turned off by the forward sound because I'm afraid that it might make the SA5k's too harsh and bright.

Not at all, it does have ear fatigue since the SA5000s are bright headphones, but nothing too extreme. I used the GL on my old Senn 595s also. I don't find it too bright. I couldn't tell you about the hornet vs the GL though since I have never heard it.

Dec 11, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #63 of 239
For some reason I can't download Azure's zip. At some point it gives me an error and the download stops. I've tried twice already.

Dec 11, 2005 at 12:04 PM Post #64 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
For some reason I can't download Azure's zip. At some point it gives me an error and the download stops. I've tried twice already.

Hmm...let me try uploading it elsewhere.

Dec 11, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #66 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
The songs felt more alive. I choose the one that sounds more alive and/or overall more enjoyable sounding.

-Alex-

So, in the instances where the SA5k was better than the CD3k or vice versa, it was really close and negligible?

Dec 11, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #67 of 239
Quote:

So, in the instances where the SA5k was better than the CD3k or vice versa, it was really close and negligible?

When the SA5K's were better the CD3K's were right right behind. When the CD3K's were better the SA5K's were also very close. If you like bass get the CD3K's because you migh feel the SA5K's are a little bass shy. I don't see it that way. I just see it as a completely different sound signature. All in all take all I have said with a grain of salt because overall I hated what I was listing to. But I can say that with electronic music you won't be disappointed with either the SA5000's or the CD3000's that is for sure

-Alex-

Dec 11, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #68 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu

Same thing happened with me, so I downloaded the little download app that you can get, I did a quick google and it didnt look like spyware but maybe they make downloads randomly cut out to get you to install it........hmmmmmmm.

Dec 14, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #70 of 239
I forgot some other songs, so I made another quick package (~16 megs):
http://rapidshare.de/files/9136017/music3.rar.html
With this, I'm mainly testing to see how well the SA5k's deal with no so great quality songs and one song that kind of has treble peaks. With "The Strong Jeager (Ryu remix)," I'd like to know if it gets too bright/fatiguing. With the other songs, I'd just like to see how well they sound on the SA5k's. Thanks in advance.

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #71 of 239
Just wanna point out, that MDRS-A5000 is not the most detailed headphone so far, cuz everyone should know that it is simply a stripped down cheap version of SONY Qualia : QUALIA 010/Q010-MDR1.

And if you ever had one of those, u know what is the most detailed as well the BEST made headphone so far!!!

regards...

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #72 of 239
eek.gif
you made an account just to say that...

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #73 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
eek.gif
you made an account just to say that...

Heh, maybe it's actually another Head-Fi member that's a Qualia fanboy and just wants to flaunt about 'em?
tongue.gif

Anyways, could some people check out the new package? It's less than 20 megs and the songs samples are really short.

Dec 14, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #75 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
"....I think these headphones would be amazing as studio monitoring headphones, because of their analytical and revealing nature. But I honestly don’t think I would recommend these headphones to those that truly love music , in the musicality sense, and want a headphone that can truly reproduce music. Those that have come to love the Sony MDR-R10s over time can probably appreciate what I’m trying to say here...."

That is exactly the way I feel about them, IMO you couldn't resume them better (even while I do not 100% agree with some of your other points of view, and opinions above, but that could be due to strictly personal points of view and preferences also)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back