Sony MDR-SA5000 review
Dec 11, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #46 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Would you mind sampling some of my music and seeing if it matches well with the SA5000s?

Sure if I have some of them. I can compare them to the AKG 240s and the Sennheiser 457s, I have them both sitting right here.

Dec 11, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #47 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
Sure if I have some of them. I can compare them to the AKG 240s and the Sennheiser 457s, I have them both sitting right here.

Great! You can download the package here:

Thank you SO much!

Dec 11, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #49 of 239
double post

Dec 11, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #50 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Great! You can download the package here:

Thank you SO much!

Downloading now, should have it in like 2 or 3 minutes

EDIT: What, I downloaded it and I couldn;t open the file, downloading again

Dec 11, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #51 of 239
Quote:

Downloading now, should have it in like 2 or 3 minutes

EDIT: What, I downloaded it and I couldn;t open the file, downloading again

I used winrar and it extracted them just fine.

-Alex-

Dec 11, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #52 of 239
Well the SA5000s are known as "the electronic music headphones" and it plays this stuff very well. Setsugekka sounded great in the intro, the notes sound very clean and extremely fast. Great stereo effect, the rest are similar. EXE was really good on these.

So yeah since you like techno you should love these, I can recommend them to you totally. The only thing is you might expect booming bass, the SA5000s have great bass but it is ACCURATE. Unlike my old Senn 595s that made every bass note into a kind of monotone *BOOM* The SA5000s aren't like that.

...oh yeah... I wasn't going to say anything but I hope you listen to a bit more than this. There is so much great music that has come out in the last few decades, I would hate to have someone spend $350 on headphones just to listen to game music. Try Astral Projection - Amen, or VNV Nation - Futureperfect for some good fast techno. Venetian Snares is great fast drum and bass. Aphex Twin makes good stuff but not all of it is fast dance techno.

Buying the SA5000s just for video game music is like buying a 75" Plasma TV to watch The Simple Life with Paris Hilton :p I like some game music, like Silent Hill and Final Fantasy OSTs but there is SOOOOOOO much more to music
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #53 of 239
Quote:

...oh yeah... I wasn't going to say anything but I hope you listen to a bit more than this. There is so much great music that has come out in the last few decades, I would hate to have someone spend $350 on headphones just to listen to game music. Try Astral Projection - Amen, or VNV Nation - Futureperfect for some good fast techno. Venetian Snares is great fast drum and bass. Aphex Twin makes good stuff but not all of it is fast dance techno.

Buying the SA5000s just for video game music is like buying a 75" Plasma TV to watch The Simple Life with Paris Hilton :p I like some game music, like Silent Hill and Final Fantasy OSTs but there is SOOOOOOO much more to music
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually didn't have that much video game music in there, only like 2 songs
confused.gif
The rest is actual, real music by real artists that make albums and stuff. I'd like to expand to more "commercial" techno/trance, but I just don't have the sources to know what's good and what's not (I've been told that I have a very unique taste for music, so unique that people have a tough time suggesting music for me, even when I tell them that I mainly like jpop/trance/techno; I guess I'm just really picky or something).

EDIT: Hmm...and you're running the SA5k's off of a G-Lite? You don't find the combination to be too bright? I'd really like The Hornet, but I'm turned off by the forward sound because I'm afraid that it might make the SA5k's too harsh and bright.

Dec 11, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #54 of 239
Ok I just listened to every one of those songs in my CD3K, SA5K, and W100. I decided to leave the ER4S's out to make this easier for me. I listened to each song for anywhere between 40 seconds and 1 minute sometimes more then once when it was close between 2 headphones. In the end the SA5K's are what I prefer with the CD3K's very very close behind. Overall I really don't like most of that music as I feel like I am playing DDR with my fiancee and not listing to music. As for some numbers. I liked the SA5K's more in 6 of the songs, the CD3K in 5 of the songs, and the W100's in 3. All in all you are safe to go with the SA5K's if that is the type of music that you prefer to listen to. I hope this helps some, but do look for other techno/electronic music as there is a lot better out there at least to me.

Enjoy the music.

-Alex-

Dec 11, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #55 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
Ok I just listened to every one of those songs in my CD3K, SA5K, and W100. I decided to leave the ER4S's out to make this easier for me. I listened to each song for anywhere between 40 seconds and 1 minute sometimes more then once when it was close between 2 headphones. In the end the SA5K's are what I prefer with the CD3K's very very close behind. Overall I really don't like most of that music as I feel like I am playing DDR with my fiancee and not listing to music. As for some numbers. I liked the SA5K's more in 6 of the songs, the CD3K in 5 of the songs, and the W100's in 3. All in all you are safe to go with the SA5K's if that is the type of music that you prefer to listen to. I hope this helps some, but do look for other techno/electronic music as there is a lot better out there at least to me.

Enjoy the music.

-Alex-

Mind listing which songs were best with which headphones? I'm quite curious as to the results as I've battled back and forth in my head between the SA5k and the CD3ks because I remember reading that the latter had punchier bass.

Dec 11, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #56 of 239
Quote:

Well the SA5000s are known as "the electronic music headphones" and it plays this stuff very well.

Actually I find my 650s better with that stuff and use SA5000 mainly for rock/metal/hard rock music. They really shine on those areas. I had to choose between HF-1 and SA5000 and SA5000 stayed.

Dec 11, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #57 of 239
The CD3K's have a stronger bass.

Here is how I had them.

[enko] - N32 - Hitoshi Sakimoto - Tension 1 = CD3K
[Hyper Japanesque] Terra - Mugen no Hikari = SA5K
[Hyper Rock'n'Roll] AKIRA YAMAOKA - April Fools Song = CD3K
[Ryusei Rave] Akira Shintani - Ryusei-Honey = W100
04.setsugekka = SA5K
106 [Soundtrack] RAM- LAB = SA5K
11.Fly Away = CD3K
14.RISLIM = SA5K
15.Ending = W100
48 - X2 - Flame Stagger Stage = SA5K
EXE = W100
Lion Suki (HEADLINE MIX) = SA5K
Rainbow Rainbow = CD3K
Rislim-Remix- = CD3K

-Alex-

Dec 11, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #58 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Actually I find my 650s better with that stuff and use SA5000 mainly for rock/metal/hard rock music. They really shine on those areas. I had to choose between HF-1 and SA5000 and SA5000 stayed.

To me CD3000's are better for techno/electronic for me. The SA5000 do ok, but I love them with rock/metal as you said. I haven't found a spot yet for the W100's as I have only had them for 1 day.

I have no idea why the SA5000's won here I guess the bass was killing my head with this music. I do listen to a decent amount of electronic and techno, but its not as repetitive and bassy.

-Alex-

Dec 11, 2005 at 11:34 AM Post #59 of 239
Dec 11, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #60 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
The CD3K's have a stronger bass.

Here is how I had them.

[enko] - N32 - Hitoshi Sakimoto - Tension 1 = CD3K
[Hyper Japanesque] Terra - Mugen no Hikari = SA5K
[Hyper Rock'n'Roll] AKIRA YAMAOKA - April Fools Song = CD3K
[Ryusei Rave] Akira Shintani - Ryusei-Honey = W100
04.setsugekka = SA5K
106 [Soundtrack] RAM- LAB = SA5K
11.Fly Away = CD3K
14.RISLIM = SA5K
15.Ending = W100
48 - X2 - Flame Stagger Stage = SA5K
EXE = W100
Lion Suki (HEADLINE MIX) = SA5K
Rainbow Rainbow = CD3K
Rislim-Remix- = CD3K

-Alex-

Interesting; for what reasons did you prefer the CD3ks over the SA5ks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back