Sony MDR-R10 with CD-3000 drivers - is this copesetic?
Nov 11, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #16 of 47
Yeah, it's already far beyond what I personally would pay just for housing, and the housing on my pair is quite good anyway, so there is no real need for me, fortunately.

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #17 of 47
purk should be the only one bidding on these because I believe he has a spare set of R10 drivers. Alternatively, some collectors are looking for the box and papers because a lot of R10's have been sold naked.

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #18 of 47

And another thing, this thread taught me how to spell copestic
Quote:
Well, thanks for the post and replies.  I didn't bid on it but I was thinking about it. I knew there was a reason I'm doing this now instead of working!

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #19 of 47

Quote:
thats why i have no interest in r10s.
once it goes bad, its pretty much done.

Same. R10s are like musical chairs, eventually the music will stop, and you don't want to be the guy holding the bag when it does. There's still some value to a non working pair of course, but it's probably 1/6 that of a fully functional pair, if not less. Electrostatic phones should last considerably longer, so I'd be more comfortable buying something like an SR-Omega.

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #21 of 47
[size=10pt]Wow, someody really want them. I would not bid on these even if he replaced broken driver with original one. The drivers are glued dead with special glue and not really replaceable by design. Unless the set was restored by Sony these are never sound like they should.[/size]

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #22 of 47

Quote:
purk should be the only one bidding on these because I believe he has a spare set of R10 drivers. Alternatively, some collectors are looking for the box and papers because a lot of R10's have been sold naked.

The seller was trying to sell me a spare driver but nothing was ever materialized.  It is true that I have a spare set of R10 drivers, but I recently put them on a broken R10 shell that I obtained from yahoo japan for a really good price.  I now have two fully working bass heavy R10, both balanced with 4-pin XLR connector.  

I'm quite surprised that an R10 with a CD3000 drivers in them can fetch nearly 3 grands.

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #23 of 47
$3050.00 !!! I guess it's true that ..."there is one born every minute."...

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #24 of 47
That's just perplexing.  Can't see it being worth 1/3 that.

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #25 of 47
Is there anything to stop the buyer from putting them up for sale as an R10?  I don't think it will be long before we see an ad on Audiogon (or here) for a "8/10 condition pair of R10.  I am the second owner, and they sound absolutely amazing."

Nov 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #26 of 47
this is why i avoid all out of production headphones. sure -- some of them sound great but the possible negatives outweigh the positives. in addition, there are several current production headphones of very good quality.

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #27 of 47
I have to agree with Seacard. These will probably get stashed away for a bit and then resold as a genuine R10.

When prices get high enough these hijinks will turn up. Look at how bad the collector car market is.

Also, good point, vcoheda. I've been mostly storing the OOP headphones; I don't want one to go south while I'm just about as happy listening to the HD-800. The rest of the gear doesn't bother me because I know I can fix it or find a workaround. A replacement driver would be considerably more difficult to deal with.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #28 of 47
IMO, the seller should state the serial number of this particular R10 to prevent buyer from selling it as a real R10.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #29 of 47

Quote:
IMO, the seller should state the serial number of this particular R10 to prevent buyer from selling it as a real R10.

Has anyone contacted the seller and made this specific request?  It certainly would be helpful if the serial number was posted along with the closed sale.

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #30 of 47
Yeah, that is why when I bought my R10, I bought from a long-time member here.  Would never buy those on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back