Sony MDR-R10 with CD-3000 drivers - is this copesetic?
Nov 14, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #31 of 47
I sent a request regarding the SN but he never gets back to me.

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #32 of 47
To everyone wanting to get in touch with the seller - He is a registered member of this forum; as I've said before, he posted here a while back with concerns about his pair of R10s that had a busted driver, this very same set, and was looking for ways to repair it. He opted to sell in the end.

This is the thread where he voiced attempted to seek advice for his issue: http://www.head-fi.org/t/545314/busted-driver-on-a-sony-r10-what-to-do

His username is judgeschreber, if anyone wants to try to find more ways to contact him, though I doubt he'll respond to anyone on here, since he doesn't seem to have much recent activity at a glance.

Good luck trying to hunt down the serial number. His description on eBay mentions the cans being in the 1000s, but doesn't mention an exact number.

EDIT: From the thread -

Quote:
"Also the phones have a very late serial number (I can't remember off the top of my head, but I know it's 10xx), and the driver has no markings, which sounds consistent with the info from Mikhail."

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #34 of 47

Quote:
cant believe the auction went over $3K...

Ditto. -__- I saw the starting bid, and I thought for sure it wouldn't go above 1.5-2k...

Prestige goes a long way, even in tattered form, I guess. eBay is a horrible place to score a good deal from a buyer standpoint nowadays.

Like others have said, the resale value could potentially score the buyer a lot of profit if they were to resale claiming they're an immaculate pair.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #35 of 47
phail auction.

its not an original driver, its not a true authentic r10 anymore.

worthless.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #36 of 47
So they're just over 21 years old dating back to 1989 and many of them from that era are popping
drivers like bubblegum even though they've been treated like one's own children? Hardly, inspiring stuff 
confused.gif

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #37 of 47
i had asked the seller a few questions regarding things such as the serial # and the sound and here is his reply:

[size=10pt]"Hello, and thanks for the interest. I bought them with the driver already broken, so I do not know how it failed. The person I bought them from said he was selling them for his elderly father, so he did not really know anything about how it failed (in fact, he thought they were working - it was only when I tested them that we found out they weren't). When changing out the drivers I first replaced only the broken driver with a cd3000, because I had the same question you did - how would they compare to r10 drivers? So, I listened very carefully with high-quality mono recordings to determine if there were any subtle differences in either driver, and they sounded perfectly matched to me. I did ultimately replace both drivers with cd3000 drivers, however, just in case there were any subtle differences that I hadn't been able to discern. But, to my ears the drivers sounded identical. The pair has serial number 1095. Many thanks, Joe[/size]"

this is consistent with what he posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/545314/busted-driver-on-a-sony-r10-what-to-do/30#post_7493710

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #38 of 47

Quote:
i had asked the seller a few questions regarding things such as the serial # and the sound and here is his reply:

[size=10pt]"Hello, and thanks for the interest. I bought them with the driver already broken, so I do not know how it failed. The person I bought them from said he was selling them for his elderly father, so he did not really know anything about how it failed (in fact, he thought they were working - it was only when I tested them that we found out they weren't). When changing out the drivers I first replaced only the broken driver with a cd3000, because I had the same question you did - how would they compare to r10 drivers? So, I listened very carefully with high-quality mono recordings to determine if there were any subtle differences in either driver, and they sounded perfectly matched to me. I did ultimately replace both drivers with cd3000 drivers, however, just in case there were any subtle differences that I hadn't been able to discern. But, to my ears the drivers sounded identical. The pair has serial number 1095. Many thanks, Joe[/size]"

this is consistent with what he posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/545314/busted-driver-on-a-sony-r10-what-to-do/30#post_7493710

so basically is a CD3000 in an R10 shell?

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #39 of 47
Nov 19, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #40 of 47
either way kinda makes it pointless since you're paying for the r10 style rather than the original drivers/sound

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #41 of 47
I once hook up my spare R10 drivers against a set of spare CD3000 drivers and the R10 drivers were more powerful sounding.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Quote:
either way kinda makes it pointless since you're paying for the r10 style rather than the original drivers/sound

DG, please see the post i've quoted above yours. the guy who did this felt that the transplant sounded very similar to the r10 as far as he could tell (it'd be interesting to put them side by side with some full fledged r10s. this may turn out to be possible as the set may well have sold to a head-fier. if so hopefully it's to an honest party who won't try and scam them by passing them off as genuine r10s. now that i've posted the serial # it will a least allow astute folks to be aware of what this phone is).
there are many frankenphones (hybrids mixing different drivers and enclosures, +/- other mods) out there, done by both diyers as well as folks who derive income from it (such as headphile). things such as earpads and the enclosure can have a major impact on the sound of headphones, so this is not merely a cosmetically updated cd3000. it is possible that his claim of it being very close to an original r10 may not be so outlandish. there was a post made a few years back about an r10 with bad drivers having (joe) grado hp1000 drivers transplanted into it. that poster thought it was the most outstanding headphone he had ever heard. iirc he felt it combined the outstanding neutrality of the hp1000s with the lush spaciousness of the r10.

Quote:
I once hook up my spare R10 drivers against a set of spare CD3000 drivers and the R10 drivers were more powerful sounding.

so you too put cd3k drivers in an r10 shell?  how closely did it resemble an r10? was it closer in sound to a cd3k or r10, or was it entirely different to your ears?
i view the cd3k sonically as sort of a baby r10. do you share that perspective?

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #43 of 47

so you too put cd3k drivers in an r10 shell?  how closely did it resemble an r10? was it closer in sound to a cd3k or r10, or was it entirely different to your ears?

Nope, I merely hooked them up side by side without the shell.  The difference was obvious enough to my ears that they are not an identical driver.  However, I did pressing each driver against my ears and did notice that the sound of the R10 had more impact and sound more powerful than that of the CD3000.  This make sense given the fact that the R10 drivers is designed to work in much bigger housing.  In a way, the CD3k is a baby R10, but the R10 is much better sounding in a direct comparison.  

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:
DG, please see the post i've quoted above yours. the guy who did this felt that the transplant sounded very similar to the r10 as far as he could tell (it'd be interesting to put them side by side with some full fledged r10s. this may turn out to be possible as the set may well have sold to a head-fier. if so hopefully it's to an honest party who won't try and scam them by passing them off as genuine r10s. now that i've posted the serial # it will a least allow astute folks to be aware of what this phone is).
there are many frankenphones (hybrids mixing different drivers and enclosures, +/- other mods) out there, done by both diyers as well as folks who derive income from it (such as headphile). things such as earpads and the enclosure can have a major impact on the sound of headphones, so this is not merely a cosmetically updated cd3000. it is possible that his claim of it being very close to an original r10 may not be so outlandish. there was a post made a few years back about an r10 with bad drivers having (joe) grado hp1000 drivers transplanted into it. that poster thought it was the most outstanding headphone he had ever heard. iirc he felt it combined the outstanding neutrality of the hp1000s with the lush spaciousness of the r10.

Insane combination or forces, lol! I wish I'd find this post.

It's not copecetic or copestic, it's "copasetic"! lol, it's an adjective meaning "completely satisfactory".

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #45 of 47
Yes, a very old thread but I know a manufacture that has the R10 and CD3000 and many, many others. He did dissection and said the drivers are the same but the sound from the DC3000 housing is inferior and to him, unlistenable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back