Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Nov 12, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #1,081 of 1,173
sending their pair in
Whoah, I would not sent an R10 pair just for refoaming - to anyone. This is fairly easy procedure that can be done even by a two-lefthanded person like me. Currently mine R10 have practically no bass at all XD So thanks all!

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,082 of 1,173
I would never want a bass heavy headphone, I don't care for that but for whatever reason, mine are in no way bass light.

Yea but some some people do (although the TC is an extreme example), and as such, would see the R10 as bass light, and again. That is ok.

I find the bass sufficient, but I also love stats and listen to a lot of classical, acoustic, etc. So I'm on the same page, personally.

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,083 of 1,173
Whoah, I would not sent an R10 pair just for refoaming - to anyone. This is fairly easy procedure that can be done even by a two-lefthanded person like me. Currently mine R10 have practically no bass at all XD So thanks all!
Agree with this. Shipping courier can easily loose your package. It isn’t that tough to do just take time.

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,084 of 1,173

I think the reoccurring theme here is that refoaming them individually, without specific competency and product isn't recommended. No matter how easily it can be done. Anyways, again I was just adding some realistic perspective, as someone that has had them done by ES Labs, with much satisfaction. Good luck. :)

I was just saying that, personally, wouldn't take the risk in refoaming them, if they have already been done (again by a competent third party), with some sort of hope that the bass drastically improves. If the refoaming was done by yourself, that's an entirely different story.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #1,085 of 1,173
Agree with this. Shipping courier can easily loose your package. It isn’t that tough to do just take time.

Not to sound contradictory with my last post, but agree entirely. Not just lost of package, damage is probably a greater concern. I'd probably keep them as is regardless.

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #1,086 of 1,173
I think it's time I made a post about the R10! Though it's not always so binary, I have found that often the pursuit of perfection in audio is a balancing act between technical prowess and the essence of music. This is particularly evident in the case of the R10 headphones. In my view, the R10 stands as a constant beacon, reminding us that at the heart of every technical endeavor lies the true purpose: the music itself.

If we measure headphones by their Eargasmic Factor (EF), R10 has got to be at the top! I've had this headphone for about 5 months now, but have refrained from talking about it because of how much more effusive with praise I would have been! I had read about the king's legendary status many years ago as a young teenager browsing head-fi. Nothing prepared me for how much I would have gravitated to the sound they produce. In my mind, and from my experience this has got to be some of the most beautiful rendition of music out there. This headphone has a way of just getting to the core and soul of the music. It's almost like the note of every sound produced is tied with a bow at the end. It offers an unparalleled gateway into the depths of musical engagement.

To jump in on the foam discussion, my experiments with various foams, including those from Vesper Audio and ESLabs, have been insightful. The ESLabs HK foam, in particular, has significantly enhanced the bass response of my R10. The quality of the foam from ESLabs HK is of much better quality, no question about it. The bass on my R10, supposedly bass light, is now more pronounced than the bass on my Stealth. Prior to the refoaming this was not the case. Some type of chemical reaction makes the old foam disintegrate over time, and it is my hunch that foam degradation over time is one of the primary reasons for the variability of R10s sound profile.

While the Vesper Audio foam maintains the R10's enchanting midrange, it tends to accentuate the treble and does little to bolster the bass. In contrast, the ESLabs foam not only enriches the bass but also adds a tangible sense of intimacy and corporeality to the music. Instruments gain body, though at the cost of slightly diminished clarity and openness with respect to the original. I reckon this trade off might be a decent compromise for many. The ESLabs foam seems non porous and more dense to me. It has a firmer shape though still soft. The Vesper Audio foam is too malleable, tenuous, and too porous. It is not substantial enough. I cannot recommend it, but YMMV. I do however, think they do an great job on the replaceable pads. The replacement mechanism is neat, but I found it a tad complex to setup and simply clipped them off to use the pads the traditional way. Someone with more patience, or perhaps if clearer instructions are provided, one might better reap the promised results.

I must commend Benson from ESLabs for his exemplary work in foam replacement. His expertise and dedication are evident, and his service is commendable. I have no affiliation with him or his business, but he's a treasure trove of information and knows a lot about the history of specific headphones.

The HM1 amplifier, with its versatility in fine-tuning treble and bass, has proven to be one of the best companions for the R10 in my experience. Interestingly, the R10 doesn't synergize well with the WA23, a surprising revelation given the amp's otherwise stellar performance with other headphones.

IMG_8722.png

The honeymoon period with the R10 shows no signs of waning. This is not the headphone to dissect for its bass, mids, treble, or soundstage etc. It's a headphone that resonates with one's emotions, speaking directly to the soul. I say this as I lose myself in the melodies of Schubert’s "Sonata in B-Flat Major, D. 960 (Op. Posth.): Molto moderato".

This moment of musical bliss evokes a scene Alex Ross depicted in The New Yorker, where Leon Fleisher, during a master class, urged a pianist to play "prayerfully, as a penitent lifting his eyes towards heaven." The pianist, embodying this advice, frequently let his eyes "drift penitentially toward the rafters," revealing only the whites of his eyes to onlookers. In a similar trance, here I am with the R10, albeit with my eyes closed.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #1,087 of 1,173
refoaming them individually, without specific competency and product isn't recommended
There's really no way to do it wrong. There's no black magic. There are specific places to put the foams on the inside. You just place them on and screw the thing back :)

Nov 13, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #1,088 of 1,173
Yes, the foam matter, and not only the type, but the heigth and sealing. We had open cell foam in earlier sets, aiming to bass-light, but ended with the more dense closed type one. And I would not say it is easy to replace the foam(smaller one), it is rather complicated. You need to create a sufficient sealing on three surfaces at a time, and you have only one attempt, that is tricky, especially if the stock pads are worn out, with foam partly desintegrated.

Nov 24, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,090 of 1,173
Carry the r10 inside a plane would be dangerous in your hopinions?I’m going to reitire my unit but without the box,only the headphone..should I punt inside e bag or can I carry with myself?

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,091 of 1,173
Carry the r10 inside a plane would be dangerous in your hopinions?I’m going to reitire my unit but without the box,only the headphone..should I punt inside e bag or can I carry with myself?

Definitely carry it on with you. If it’s all you can take and you can afford to, use the original storage case. When I moved across the country this year, I bought small headphone hard storage cases on Amazon for it, the HE90 and SGL Sr. And placed those in a duffle bag I carried on with me. I would absolutely not check them.

I then shipped the carrying/storage cases that came with each separately. Something happens in shipping to those, not really a big deal.

Nov 24, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #1,092 of 1,173
Definitely carry it on with you. If it’s all you can take and you can afford to, use the original storage case. When I moved across the country this year, I bought small headphone hard storage cases on Amazon for it, the HE90 and SGL Sr. And placed those in a duffle bag I carried on with me. I would absolutely not check them.

I then shipped the carrying/storage cases that came with each separately. Something happens in shipping to those, not really a big deal.
Can you check me the link for the case storage? :)
P.s thanks for your answer!

Nov 24, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #1,093 of 1,173
I have done international travelling US to Asia round trip with R10 only wrapped with bubble foam, then packed in a soft and sturdy gym bag, cushioned with some T-shirts in my carry-on suitcase. Have gone through security checks multiple times, R10 suffered 0 damages or issues whatsoever.

Nov 24, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #1,094 of 1,173
Can you check me the link for the case storage? :)
P.s thanks for your answer!

Reading this just reminded me of a hardshell carrying case I bought last year and never used from Dekoni:

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-x-skb-headphone-hero-heavy-duty-travel-case/

Very cool as it has max protection, relatively compact, and the inside doubles-up on as a headphone stand on-the-go

I actually never used it (bought for a CanJam trip and ended up packing something else). I should probably list it for sale, if intereted ping me.

otherwise, I agree with the above comment - you can bubble wrap anything, just make sure to do it extensively. I'm not sure I'd take the R10 in this way, but I am sure it's safe..

Nov 24, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,095 of 1,173
Reading this just reminded me of a hardshell carrying case I bought last year and never used from Dekoni:

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-x-skb-headphone-hero-heavy-duty-travel-case/

Very cool as it has max protection, relatively compact, and the inside doubles-up on as a headphone stand on-the-go

I actually never used it (bought for a CanJam trip and ended up packing something else). I should probably list it for sale, if intereted ping me.

otherwise, I agree with the above comment - you can bubble wrap anything, just make sure to do it extensively. I'm not sure I'd take the R10 in this way, but I am sure it's safe..
I received a fool offer for the r10 bass light in amazing condition without box!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back