Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Aug 31, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #541 of 1,173
Not an owner of the R10 but has anyone tried to assemble a registry of all R10's? I know its not rare in collector worlds to have a registry of every known unit and I am sure it would help authenticity to have a track record of known owners of each unit. Would also be useful to know for each of the R10's that are now broken/out of order and are not being repaired. Could have a tally of how many units are still in existence.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #544 of 1,173

So I got the headband and adjustment strap back from the leather guy. These look absolutely amazing. I am very happy and the materials feel great. 

I am sending them out with the headphones to be modded. I shall hopefully be getting everything back all finished

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #547 of 1,173
Recently compared the R10 and the Ether C side by side and the R10 is head and shoulder above the Ether C beside the bass department.  My recabled CD3000 is also considerably better than the Ether C, in fact, I don't discern a single area that the Ether C is better than my modified CD3000 sound wise.  Due to its being a planar the quality of soundstage continue to suffer a good bit.  The Ether C only has 70 hours in total so things may get better.  However, I can't see it even come close to my CD3000 let alone the R10 at this rate.  My opinion of course..

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #548 of 1,173
This exclusive club must be getting harder to join as time passes! Loch Ness monster is seen more often than these exceptional phones up for sale!

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #550 of 1,173
  Recently compared the R10 and the Ether C side by side and the R10 is head and shoulder above the Ether C beside the bass department.  My recabled CD3000 is also considerably better than the Ether C, in fact, I don't discern a single area that the Ether C is better than my modified CD3000 sound wise.  Due to its being a planar the quality of soundstage continue to suffer a good bit.  The Ether C only has 70 hours in total so things may get better.  However, I can't see it even come close to my CD3000 let alone the R10 at this rate.  My opinion of course..

Hmm very interesting, so @purk would you say that someone looking for an "endgame" closed-back headphone would be better off striving for a re-cabled CD3000 / R10 versus say the Ether-C or LCD-XC? (Of course I will never buy the LCD-XC though because it would surely break my neck.)

- InsanityOne 
L3000.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #552 of 1,173
  So are prices gone down for it? also are there any fakes out there?

I have looked for an r-10 off and on for the last couple years and prices have gone up dramatically. Darn near original Orpheus $10k ish. I think the new Orpheus 2 might drive prices down a little but I think its the original Orpheus that will see the biggest discounts from that.

There are not any fakes that I know of, but for sure there are units out there with different sony drivers in them CD3000 etc. There is also the chance that your drivers will fail and with no replacement drivers...plus scammers that just take your money and send you nothing.

If you already own an sr-009 with mjolnir kgsshv carbon and well built $10-20k source then I would say go for the r-10. Even the hd800 with a Apex Teton or ECP-dsha4 is probably going to set you back less than a r-10 and I think the r-10 is going to need quite the setup behind it to best it.

I have yet to convince purk to go the $5k amp route on the hd800 but I think if he had to pay $7-10k for an r-10 he would think about it allot harder. Maybe purk paid that much for his r-10's but my guess is it was more like $3k. Shoot it was only $2k brand new at the very end, 2004. He is also quite the fan of the hd800 with the Gilmore Ref. Balanced and ECP-dsha1 and L-2.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #554 of 1,173
The R10 was actually selling new in 2004 from some dealers, but the price was $6000 even then. There was some sort of Amazon ad back for 2K then but it turned out to be a mistake and unavailable.
As far as Sony restarting these, well, Sony can't even bring themselves to promote SACD anymore, or even get any SACD discs produced, so I wouldn't expect much from them.
It's a shame since SACD is so great, and it's a crime that the Beatles never made it to SACD (along with tons of other great music).
This is discussed a lot on the Steve Hoffman forums, and there has been an electronic petition going on for a few years now over on Steve's site.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #555 of 1,173
  There was some sort of Amazon ad back for 2K then but it turned out to be a mistake and unavailable.

Not a mistake. That's actually how I got my first pair. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back