Sony MDR-MV1
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #437 of 460
Apr 20, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #439 of 460
Lol. No go ahead. The more I know about the MV1 the better. I can't afford the composer yet but I can get the MV1.
"The Composer is like Austrian Audios own X65 on steroids. Very neutral from the subbass way up into the uppermids where it deviates slightly from neutral and sounds more like a Hifiman than a Sennheiser. This is how I hear it and also how it looks on paper.

The Sony is more neutral in the mids, like a Sennheiser, but the biggest difference is the treble. Whereas the MV1 is like Sony’s answer to the DT1990 (they are almost like two drops of water soundwise except for the Beyerdynamic having a tiny bit better bass extension), the Composer stays more in the ‘Sennheiser camp’ with a more polite treble tuning." Someone wrote to me in the dms

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #441 of 460
I haven't heatthe MV1 yet but I like the way you describe it. It definitely worth the asking price.
How are they with movies? Do you get a wider then average soundstage and deep rumble bass when asked for? Thanks.
personally I love them. I can see some prefering them to the mdr z1r, to me they're more of a sidegrade to each other.

wider, yes, not too much, mainly deeper and much taller.

the rumble is there but it's not insane, it's midbass oriented with more of a basskick oomph.

I tried the hd660s and 6xx, these are far better imo.

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #442 of 460
The MV1 is portable, comfortable, easy to drive and sound great, it has the characteristics of many people's "only headphone" managing to be competent for both desktop use and on the go. It does imo light in packaging and accessories for the price, but the build itself is not something that's easy to change, while buying cable and case is, so yeah. its great.

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #443 of 460
I tried the hd660s and 6xx, these are far better imo.
I've always wanted to try the 660s. I feel like these would be the opposite of those in terms of sound signature (V-shape vs mid forward).

The MV1 is portable, comfortable, easy to drive and sound great, it has the characteristics of many people's "only headphone" managing to be competent for both desktop use and on the go. It does imo light in packaging and accessories for the price, but the build itself is not something that's easy to change, while buying cable and case is, so yeah. its great.
I like that they went light with the packaging and accessories. I've never actually used a carrying case (they just sit in my closet). Better to put the money into the headphone and cable. I really like the cable that comes with this too.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #446 of 460
The hd660s doesn't sound mid forward to me, it sounds muffled / dark compared to the mv1.

The mv1 doesn't sound v shaped to me
I hear them as a V shape, and I've seen a couple graphs that point to this. Nothing extreme mind you. I was wondering if my other headphones spoiled me since they have super clean midranges (Edition XS and formerly the Elegia). The MV1 sounds a little more muffled and distant than those, but some say those headphones are a little anemic and unnatural sounding in the mids, where the MV1 is more conventional. In the end I ended up selling the Elegia and keeping these anyway due to the superior comfort.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #447 of 460
I confirm what someone said earlier in the thread, MUC-S12SB1 is a game changer on the MV1, at least to my ears. And I'm not a big cable-miracles believer, but this is distinctive with that combo; as good as the original cable is, the Kimber brings noticeable enhancement all around.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #448 of 460
I hear them as a V shape, and I've seen a couple graphs that point to this. Nothing extreme mind you. I was wondering if my other headphones spoiled me since they have super clean midranges (Edition XS and formerly the Elegia). The MV1 sounds a little more muffled and distant than those, but some say those headphones are a little anemic and unnatural sounding in the mids, where the MV1 is more conventional. In the end I ended up selling the Elegia and keeping these anyway due to the superior comfort.
Zero graphs show the sony MV1 as V shaped. To this day i am shocked at how many people dont know how to read said graphs. You want v shaped, sony extrabass headphones. That is v-shaped. The MV1 are nowhere near v-shaped. They are literally professional headphones meant for actual sound production. Its perfectly fine if natural bass is too much for you. And you prefer anemic "audiophile" headphones that have little to no bass. However that doesnt set the standard....

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #449 of 460
The hd660s doesn't sound mid forward to me, it sounds muffled / dark compared to the mv1.

The mv1 doesn't sound v shaped to me
Thats because they arent v-shaped. Audio snobs are just used to over priced headphones that have little to no natural bass. And its the cost fallacy, they have to justify spending insane money for trash, so they crap on other amazing products because it doesnt match what they wasted money on. Ive seen it too many times.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #450 of 460
Thats because they arent v-shaped. Audio snobs are just used to over priced headphones that have little to no natural bass. And its the cost fallacy, they have to justify spending insane money for trash, so they crap on other amazing products because it doesnt match what they wasted money on. Ive seen it too many times.
Fair enough.

All I know is that since I was a kid, sony headphones were the best :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back