Sony MDR-MV1
Apr 17, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #424 of 454
You like the MV1 better then Z1R? Can you explain and what cable do you use? Post some photos if you don't mind.
PXL_20240417_212326103.MP.jpg

Black dragon cable, mod by @purk .

The bass is far less overwhelming, mids are more present, imaging is more precise along with layering.

Staging is a tad narrower, but deeper and taller than z1r, along with that open back sound.

The cable is Moon Audio Black Dragon, 4.4mm through my modded wm1a :)

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #426 of 454
Very interesting considering the price difference between the two. Heard that MV1 can scale very well with a quality balanced cable and a great audio source.
So far my modded wm1a is the best source I've tried, If I get something like an a&k ca1000 I'll let you know if they scale with power or if they're pretty much at their full potential with the wm1a :)

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #427 of 454
The more I use the modded mv1 and mdr z1r, the more it feels to me like the differences between the ier m9 and ier z1r.

one is warmer, more midbass, darker, smaller staging but more precise imaging, more of a traditional headphone sound, less fatiguing. (MV1)

The other is more V shaped, less midbass, brighter, bigger staging but a bit more diffuse, more of a speaker sound, more fatiguing (Z1R)

End of the day, good chance I'll keep both, and will update thoughts when I get my acro ca1000.

Apr 20, 2024 at 5:24 AM Post #428 of 454
Did you get a balanced cable for the MV1 in the end? Do you still like it very much or you are moving in a different direction?
I ordered the Noir from Matt yes, after I lost money on Brise with the refund, wish they would add a note saying things are not available on their site, I would never order again 😅
The MV1 sounds smooth and musical to me, bit like old days in a good way, bass is the best feature, not mega detailed set but it doesn't matter its a special set

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #429 of 454
The more I use the modded mv1 and mdr z1r, the more it feels to me like the differences between the ier m9 and ier z1r.

one is warmer, more midbass, darker, smaller staging but more precise imaging, more of a traditional headphone sound, less fatiguing. (MV1)

The other is more V shaped, less midbass, brighter, bigger staging but a bit more diffuse, more of a speaker sound, more fatiguing (Z1R)

End of the day, good chance I'll keep both, and will update thoughts when I get my acro ca1000.
Your modded MV1 use a black dragon cable only and no other modifications right? Have you thought about real leather earpads? That may change the sound signature further.

Apr 20, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #430 of 454
Your modded MV1 use a black dragon cable only and no other modifications right? Have you thought about real leather earpads? That may change the sound signature further.
Yeah only the cable.

I'll get around to earpad mods in the future, after others do it or a company like yaxi makes pads for em, stock pads are very comfortable :) haven't had too much luck with pad rolling in the past tbh

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #431 of 454
I want some good leather earpads for mine too. Any recommendation?

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #433 of 454
Yeah only the cable.

I'll get around to earpad mods in the future, after others do it or a company like yaxi makes pads for em, stock pads are very comfortable :) haven't had too much luck with pad rolling in the past tbh
How they compare to the D9200 you had in the past and have you heard the Composer at all? Are you not curious?😄 I really like it.

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #435 of 454
The D9200 to me is better than the stock MV1 for sure. With a directly modded done, the two are almost a side step but the D9200 is still better. I am traveling to Thailand soon and I want to take the MV1 with me. Knowing how hot and humid it is going to be, I much prefer leather earpads for hygiene reasons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back