Sony MDR-MV1
Aug 4, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #241 of 461
Personally, even just on placement accuracy alone it and M70x is the top dog on this price range, i can hear when someone is moving their head, which direction it go and how far, on a podcast.
I also prefer this over my old Z7.

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #242 of 461
Hi @namcost, how do you compare Z7M2 with 1AM2 and HD660S2? I am interested because I want one for the office at work so must be closed. As long as it's a little better than 1AM2 I am OK. I know I will like Z1R's sound, but that shape with the bulge is just too much.

The HD660s2's are open back, which as you said is NOT what you are looking for in terms of office environment.

I would probably say, if you were choosing something for office use, the 1AM2's are sleek and more normal looking while the Z7M2 are big, and look bulky. So you would be better off with the 1AM2's....

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #243 of 461
just finished watching Way of Water with the mv1, the wing flaps, jets and gunfire is so big it shakes on my head, so far im really enjoying the MV1, its really solidly becoming portable Z1R for me, good for everything the Z1R excel at while being lighter, more airy and comfortable on the head and single side cabled.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #244 of 461
The HD660s2's are open back, which as you said is NOT what you are looking for in terms of office environment.

I would probably say, if you were choosing something for office use, the 1AM2's are sleek and more normal looking while the Z7M2 are big, and look bulky. So you would be better off with the 1AM2's....
Agree, 1AM2 is one of the comfiest headphones ever made, I would say just behind the MA900 which is the bee's knees. Also Sennheiser headphones have a lot of clamp force to begin with so the pads have to wear in for it to get comfortable, afterwards it's pure bliss

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #245 of 461
just finished watching Way of Water with the mv1, the wing flaps, jets and gunfire is so big it shakes on my head, so far im really enjoying the MV1, its really solidly becoming portable Z1R for me, good for everything the Z1R excel at while being lighter, more airy and comfortable on the head and single side cabled.
Do you find the MV1 to be sibilant? there's a peak at around 8-9khz, which I find extremely harsh and unrefined in headphones that have the same characteristics

Attachments

• MV1.JPG
    MV1.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 0
Aug 7, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #246 of 461
Do you find the MV1 to be sibilant? there's a peak at around 8-9khz, which I find extremely harsh and unrefined in headphones that have the same characteristics
Do you know what gear rtings actually tests on? Because everything is different. Gotta take response graphs with a grain of salt.... My fiio k9 pro will have a different output vs my topping dx7 pro.... Not wildly different but still. I dont notice a 8000-9000hz peak at all. I tried to eq that frequency range down and it sounds bad. So i would say that hump isnt there for me....

Aug 8, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #247 of 461
Just ordered these. Curious how they compare to my Sony MDR-7520. Will post impressions. Have been looking for a good pair of open backs that aren't too crazy expensive.

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #248 of 461
Just ordered these. Curious how they compare to my Sony MDR-7520. Will post impressions. Have been looking for a good pair of open backs that aren't too crazy expensive.
Me too, I'm been searching for years for an open back that can do sub-bass justice, it's a lot to ask but I know for damn sure it's not impossible

Aug 8, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #250 of 461
What's a decent yet simple cable I can attach to this that has a 3.5mm TRS jack? Not looking for balanced.

Aug 8, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #252 of 461
Comes with a 6.35 to 3.5 adapter. It does not come with balanced.
Yeah, but that looks like a heavy cable. Looking for a lighter cable for when I plug it into my laptop, for example. Any suggestions? Is it a simple 2.5mm > 3.5mm cable I need to look for? Or is the jack on the headphone also 3.5mm?

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #253 of 461
Me too, I'm been searching for years for an open back that can do sub-bass justice, it's a lot to ask but I know for damn sure it's not impossible

Tried any open ortho/planars? I guess I wouldn't say they did subbass justice, but in my limited over-ear experience I've heard a few that seemed to have decent extension for open headphones.

IMO Z7 isn't a bad compromise if you can deal with the eccentric tuning- almost like a semi-open but with deep bass (kinda slow, not the punchiest).

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #254 of 461
Tried any open ortho/planars? I guess I wouldn't say they did subbass justice, but in my limited over-ear experience I've heard a few that seemed to have decent extension for open headphones.

IMO Z7 isn't a bad compromise if you can deal with the eccentric tuning- almost like a semi-open but with deep bass (kinda slow, not the punchiest).
I had a chance to demo the Z7 along with the SRH-1540 back in 2014. VERY bassy but not in a bad way, much better than beats and whatnot. For most music you'd want a bass shelf at around 0-150Hz, anything after that then the mids will just sound muffled. Are you into the Harman tuning?

Aug 10, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #255 of 461
Joining Sony Headphone side..
TBF, always find Sony Headphone have a laid back Vocal, Based on my experience & also my gear. But when I demoed MV1, I was quite surprised, that I liked the Tonality. MV1 consider not Dark tonality. What I liked is how good the imaging clarity...
Someone in the my local community, mentions, changing the cable to TRRS, may increase the Bass oomph...
20230809_074936.jpg

Another highlight that I consider this, is the light weight..
I always like how ATH R70x can sit in my head for Gaming hours... now I have high hope for this MV1...

20230811_045908.jpg

Gears : Music Player: Audirvana - DAC: D70s - Amp: A30Pro

Brief of my own impression, MV1 vs R70x,
Build quality, By looks, R-70x is sturdier, and MV1 looks like cheap plastic, but it really makes from Anodize Alumunium... So Call me old school, I prefer R70x looks.

Sounds Impression, My challenge is the Headphones impedance, The gap is to wide, R-70x 470 ohm VS MV1 24 Ohm. Finding the same listening volume is really struggling for me...
O yeah, my R70x alrd used after market 4.4TRRS Cable UP-OCC copper, while MV1 is based on original 6.35 SE OFC cable.

R-70x (Compare MV1) will sound more darker, the high is more roll off, even the upper mid, So Safe for sibilance issued. Vocal in certain Song, is more weight & lush.
The fitting still better then MV1, more comfortable like you barely feel of using it. I still choose this for long hours gaming session. Where you need just need imaging precision, not detail or clarity...
Edit 12 Aug : My R70x Ring foam is detoriate, so I customed made it, After this, I find the vocal is more natural on R70x... IMO

MV1 (Compare to R-70x), sound more neutral, with better clarity. Yes, I find sibilance in certain song, yet it's in my margin of acceptance. Sounds placement (Spatial resolution) is probably the main highlights for this MV1, the imaging detail is better. And fell more depth clarity for good pin point the sound source.
Soundstage will be a bit wider.
The fitting clamp give more force, but still Comfort for me.
For Audio serious listening hour, I often grab MV1...

BTW, when there's Other MV1 user mention to me, that Vocal placement is dead center, and I can pouch for that, I also exp the same...
For mobile usage, MV1 with tiny DAP M0 Pro, already sings & enjoyable... but you need high Gain, to get that clarity in position (weird but that what I felt)

20230810_171645.jpg

Sound Impression to be continue...
When my TRRS 4.4 already done

edit : I find unusual Timbre, like electrical guitar... when I use portable gear (M0Pro - HUGO2)... The sounds seems not natural IMO... edit : according to other local MV1 user, the cable stock seems the cause of unnatural Timbre, need to try with other cable...

Edit 12th Aug : Earpads, I have a thicker Velor earpad(4 cm)... when I used this, The overall sound become far & yes laid back, just like other Sony Headphone that I know, It gaves better soundstage(wider). after take sometimes listening, it became darker, some of the treble seem smoother… but also sound a bit flat ( lack of depth)
20230812_102309.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back