Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #586 of 2,677
I fail to see how that changes comfort. They felt the same. Your ears touch only the outer foam.

Well to me they didn't. My ears pressed against the foam because of it. It was slight but it was noticeable to me. I never said the DT 880s were uncomfortable, I found both the DT 880 and DT 990 very comfortable, I just found the DT 990 a tad more comfortable.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #587 of 2,677
In terms of comfort for the MA900s, I was wondering if anybody with big ears has any issues with it?  I actually found the DT880s uncomfortable since the pads rested on my ears.  The A900x's were a little better and now I've got an HD598 which fits better (due to the oval cups).  

At any rate, with the reduced weight and light clamp, probably I wouldn't have a problem, but would be nice to hear any comments people might have on this. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #588 of 2,677
Your ears are probably gonna touch the driver cover, like the Beyers, so if you're finicky with anything touching your ears, don't get the MA900.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #589 of 2,677
As a note concerning the K612, it's just the initial impressions I have of them before burn-in, my impressions can change a bit on them, I want to wait for a couple weeks or so before doing a proper review and a comparison to the MA900 once they fully burn-in, the pads break in, and I adjust more to the sound.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #591 of 2,677
With regard to ears touching, it would be a very gentle touch on the outside of the ear as there is no/very little clamp force with the Sony. The nice part for me is that the interior dimension of the pad is just huge. I can't imagine that anyone's ear would touch the interior of the pad. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #593 of 2,677
So, I discovered a small, easy mod for the MA900s.

I was listening to something with significant bass content, and I was adjusting the position of the headphones.  I happened to rest my hands lightly on the sides of the headband and adjusters, and noticed that the bass became a little firmer and less wooly.

After some experimentation, I determined that this mainly occurs due to looseness at the point where the sliders enter the headband.  I found I could get the same improvement by lightly grabbing that point.

So, I took some "Gorilla tape", which seemed ideal because it is a ) black, and b ) has very strong adhesive.  After getting just the right position of the sliders, I wrapped one thickness of Gorilla tape around the end of the headband and around the slider.   I also wrapped some around the pivot point for the earcups, because the same principle should apply - helping the headband and yoke to be stiff, and thus provide a more solid and stable anchor for the drivers to move.  (Remember that speakers and drivers are motors that push air.)

After I did this, resting my hands on the sides of the headband no longer changed the sound, proving that it works.

Note that this is a small sound change - do not expect any huge improvement.

But it is easy to do and easy to remove.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #594 of 2,677
  So, I discovered a small, easy mod for the MA900s.

I was listening to something with significant bass content, and I was adjusting the position of the headphones.  I happened to rest my hands lightly on the sides of the headband and adjusters, and noticed that the bass became a little firmer and less wooly.

After some experimentation, I determined that this mainly occurs due to looseness at the point where the sliders enter the headband.  I found I could get the same improvement by lightly grabbing that point.

So, I took some "Gorilla tape", which seemed ideal because it is a ) black, and b ) has very strong adhesive.  After getting just the right position of the sliders, I wrapped one thickness of Gorilla tape around the end of the headband and around the slider.   I also wrapped some around the pivot point for the earcups, because the same principle should apply - helping the headband and yoke to be stiff, and thus provide a more solid and stable anchor for the drivers to move.  (Remember that speakers and drivers are motors that push air.)

After I did this, resting my hands on the sides of the headband no longer changed the sound, proving that it works.

Note that this is a small sound change - do not expect any huge improvement.

But it is easy to do and easy to remove.
biggrin.gif

I know this is an easy mod, but i suck at modding. So pictures would be nice :) 

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #596 of 2,677
Sorry about the cruddy pic - it is hard to get the focus on the right part, most of the photos are worse
eek.gif

You can see the tape wrapped around the slider and the end of the headband.  I think you can also see the tape in the lower left around the pivot (which I think has less effect, but I did it anyway).
Black electrical tape should work too.   Some sort of clay or putty stuff might work too (I actually have something that would work perfectly, a putty that hardens when exposed to air - but I used up all the black colored stuff on my car, and the rest is white and various bright colors.
blink.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #597 of 2,677
Here is the principle involved:

Imagine you are standing on a skateboard, and you try to push someone.  Instead of moving the other guy, you will end up zooming away on your skateboard.  If instead you get off the skateboard onto solid ground, your push will apply much more force.

So, the idea here is to give the driver a more stable platform, when it starts to push the air.

Again, you can test this by just lightly touching your hands on the sliders with a bass heavy track.

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #598 of 2,677
  Here is the principle involved:

Imagine you are standing on a skateboard, and you try to push someone.  Instead of moving the other guy, you will end up zooming away on your skateboard.  If instead you get off the skateboard onto solid ground, your push will apply much more force.

So, the idea here is to give the driver a more stable platform, when it starts to push the air.

Again, you can test this by just lightly touching your hands on the sliders with a bass heavy track.

I think it's more like having an anorexic person shoot a magnum vs. a bodybuilder. The body builder will be able to absorb the recoil much better. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #599 of 2,677
  I think it's more like having an anorexic person shoot a magnum vs. a bodybuilder. The body builder will be able to absorb the recoil much better.

No.. the body builder would be totally *****d.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #600 of 2,677
Sorry about the cruddy pic - it is hard to get the focus on the right part, most of the photos are worse :eek:

You can see the tape wrapped around the slider and the end of the headband.  I think you can also see the tape in the lower left around the pivot (which I think has less effect, but I did it anyway).
Black electrical tape should work too.   Some sort of clay or putty stuff might work too (I actually have something that would work perfectly, a putty that hardens when exposed to air - but I used up all the black colored stuff on my car, and the rest is white and various bright colors. :blink:

Thanks for the pic, I'll try this when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back