Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #571 of 2,677
  I am finding that the excellent imaging of the MA900s makes instruments sound very natural, because the sense of space around the instruments makes them seem more real.  So, while the "timbre" (balance of fundamental frequencies and overtones) is not quite as good as the Mad Dogs, the superior imaging makes the sense of realism on the MA900s competitive with the Mad Dogs.

My choice of which to use, would depend more on the difference between lightweight, cool/airy and "leaky" versus heavier, hot/warm and well isolated, rather than any audio differences.  Even though there are many audio differences, the different strengths are roughly equal.

In contrast, the HiFiMan HE-400 lose out in a comparison with either the Mad Dogs or the MA900s.  The imaging and soundstage on the HE-400s are nowheres as good as the MA900s, and the timbre and midrange clarity of the Mad Dogs are superior to the HE-400s.   The HE-400s are the heaviest of the three, and have no isolation whatsoever.   So, while the HE-400s are very enjoyable headphones, they lose out to the Mad Dogs and MA900s for my use, at this time.

I would agree with most all of this. The MD and ma900 would seem to make an excellent pair of complementary hp's on a budget. 

These really are light as all get out. I remember reading about the comfort while I was using my Q701 and thinking how much better can they be? But these are on another league comfort wise and I think the Q701 or very comfortable!

I didn't think anything could be more comfy than my hd650, until I got the ma900. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #572 of 2,677
  I'd be happy to mod mine and let you have a comparison. I can save you from having to buy another MA900. :)

So, how exactly do I remove the clay stuff to do the mod? Scrape it off with a knife?

Oh well now, that sounds like a good idea too :3

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #574 of 2,677
I didn't think anything could be more comfy than my DT880's, until I got the ma900.

Yes the only headphone I have tried that comes close to the MA900 is the DT880. But the MA900 is in it's own league. Don't get me wrong, the DT880 is very comfortable and if I was on a desert island with one headphone (a strange island indeed) it wouldn't kill me to have the DT880, but the MA900 is so comfortable it literally feels comforting to me haha.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #576 of 2,677
Yes the only headphone I have tried that comes close to the MA900 is the DT880. But the MA900 is in it's own league. Don't get me wrong, the DT880 is very comfortable and if I was on a desert island with one headphone (a strange island indeed) it wouldn't kill me to have the DT880, but the MA900 is so comfortable it literally feels comforting to me haha.

The MA900 is very comfortable, they feel almost feel like nothing. I found the DT 880 very comfortable but not as comfy as the DT 990(which has more spacious ear cups due to no foam in front of the driver). I have finally found something just as comfortable as the MA900 for me at least, the AKG K612 Pro. They sound quite different than the MA900; the K612 is a thicker, warmer, and more intimate sounding headphone with even smoother treble. I can appreciate both headphones for different reasons. Although the K612 Pro is probably going to replace my beloved K240s as it's basically a better version of it.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #577 of 2,677

The MA900 is very comfortable, they feel almost feel like nothing. I found the DT 880 very comfortable but not as comfy as the DT 990(which has more spacious ear cups due to no foam in front of the driver). I have finally found something just as comfortable as the MA900 for me at least, the AKG K612 Pro. They sound quite different than the MA900; the K612 is a thicker, warmer, and more intimate sounding headphone with even smoother treble. I can appreciate both headphones for different reasons. Although the K612 Pro is probably going to replace my beloved K240s as it's basically a better version of it.

Really? Not that I doubt you, I haven't heard that AKG. It's just tough to imagine thicker, warmer and smoother treble. Sounds promising to me. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #578 of 2,677

I was eyeing the K612 Pro's, I am quite hesitant to purchase an AKG headphone to be honest after the disappointment with the K701. In terms of overall clarity and detail, which one would you say is better? And which one odd you prefer out of the two?

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #579 of 2,677

Really? Not that I doubt you, I haven't heard that AKG. It's just tough to imagine thicker, warmer and smoother treble. Sounds promising to me. 

Yes, I found the MA900 is quite airy sounding in comparison. I think with the K612 they just get overshadowed by the K7xx series so people often overlook them, it's not worse than the K7xx series, just a different sound that focuses more on warmth.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #580 of 2,677
I was eyeing the K612 Pro's, I am quite hesitant to purchase an AKG headphone to be honest after the disappointment with the K701. In terms of overall clarity and detail, which one would you say is better? And which one odd you prefer out of the two?

I personally heard the warm and lush K240 as my first AKG, I personally find warm-sounding AKGs extremely euphonic to my ears. I wasn't a fan of the K701 and other bass-lean and analytical AKGs. It's nothing like the K701 at all, the K612 doesn't has no center imaging issues at all, it has no upper midrange glare, doesn't sound thin at all. I found the bass extends very well for an open headphone, there is subbass with these. They aren't overly fickle with amps like the K7xx series is either. Compared to the MA900, I find them a better headphone overall in terms of clarity, detail, extension, and transparency. I prefer them of the two due to their greater musicality and warmth; which is my preference in audio. They are fairly demanding of amps of course though.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #581 of 2,677
I personally heard the warm and lush K240 as my first AKG, I personally find warm-sounding AKGs extremely euphonic to my ears. I wasn't a fan of the K701 and other bass-lean and analytical AKGs. It's nothing like the K701 at all, the K612 doesn't has no center imaging issues at all, it has no upper midrange glare, doesn't sound thin at all. I found the bass extends very well for an open headphone, there is subbass with these. They aren't overly fickle with amps like the K7xx series is either. Compared to the MA900, I find them a better headphone overall in terms of clarity, detail, extension, and transparency. I prefer them of the two due to their greater musicality and warmth; which is my preference in audio. They are fairly demanding of amps of course though.

Good to hear that. Seems like they would strike the perfect balance between the MA900's and the dt880's. I'm quite surprised though, they go for $130-200 on Amazon and they're pretty new.

Anyway thanks for the info man. I'll look forward to the K612.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #582 of 2,677
Good to hear that. Seems like they would strike the perfect balance between the MA900's and the dt880's. I'm quite surprised though, they go for $130-200 on Amazon and they're pretty new.

Anyway thanks for the info man. I'll look forward to the K612.

Yeah, it will be a different sounding headphone than either of those. They are new, I think it's yet another great bargain at $200 or below like the MA900.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #583 of 2,677

I have owned like... 7 pairs of 990s (all impedances and Pro/Premium models) and they ALL have foam just like the 880s... the only way to physically tell them apart is the outer grill/cup. Eben a quick Google image search confirms this.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #585 of 2,677
I fail to see how that changes comfort. They felt the same. Your ears touch only the outer foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back