Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #106 of 2,677
Hey all.

I have a question regarding the earpads of the MA900.  I had read they were made out of a textured cloth instead of a velour.

How comfortable is around your ears for long listening sessions (3+ hours).

Does it cause any hotness, itching, irritation, sweating, etc..?

How soft is it compared to say a velour pad of a beyerdynamic or audio technica?

I would have to order off the net since no place near me sells them, so i cant try them on beforehand.

Thanks
beyersmile.png

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #107 of 2,677
Quote:
Hey all.

I have a question regarding the earpads of the MA900.  I had read they were made out of a textured cloth instead of a velour.

How comfortable is around your ears for long listening sessions (3+ hours).

Does it cause any hotness, itching, irritation, g, etc..?

How soft is it compared to say a velour pad of a beyerdynamic or audio technica?

I would have to order off the net since no place near me sells them, so i cant try them on beforehand.

Thanks
beyersmile.png

Heya

No hotness, itching or irritation, compared to my HD598 earpads they are thinner but Sony has different approach, you can wear them all day long. It is a ,,summer can'' so if you live in hot area they are most vented constructions. Here is how it fits me :D

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #108 of 2,677
This has probably been mentioned in this thread, but I find with these headphones that the position changes the sound a bit. The further back I position them, the brighter and more detailed the sound. I actually kind of like them the best right in the middle. Not too bright, but nice and clear and sharp. And if a song come on that is recorded too brightly for my taste, I can just slide them forward a half an inch or so and tone it down a bit. Moving them forward also shifts the sound out in front more, so if that seems to fit the music, that is another option.

It is kind of like having a tone control on my head to quickly adjust to each song. Add to this the bass boost and detail/treble boost on the iCAN amp I am using and I can easily shape the sound to my taste for each song or according to my mood.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #109 of 2,677
Quote:
Won't the iCAN be too strong for the ma900? Not sure, just asking xD looking forward to your impression

I can report that the gain on my iCAN which is the original version without gain switches is just right with the MA900s. I listen mostly between 12 and 2 on the dial, so there is plenty of headroom above that, but also lots of easy fine tuning adjustment from very soft to very loud, and beyond to the point of hurting my ears.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #110 of 2,677
I can report that the gain on my iCAN which is the original version without gain switches is just right with the MA900s. I listen mostly between 12 and 2 on the dial, so there is plenty of headroom above that, but also lots of easy fine tuning adjustment from very soft to very loud, and beyond to the point of hurting my ears.

Thanks for the information! :D

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #111 of 2,677
This has probably been mentioned in this thread, but I find with these headphones that the position changes the sound a bit. The further back I position them, the brighter and more detailed the sound. I actually kind of like them the best right in the middle. Not too bright, but nice and clear and sharp. And if a song come on that is recorded too brightly for my taste, I can just slide them forward a half an inch or so and tone it down a bit. Moving them forward also shifts the sound out in front more, so if that seems to fit the music, that is another option.

It is kind of like having a tone control on my head to quickly adjust to each song. Add to this the bass boost and detail/treble boost on the iCAN amp I am using and I can easily shape the sound to my taste for each song or according to my mood.

Yes! My experience matches yours! Well, except for the ican part.

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #112 of 2,677
So I finally decided to get these, but.. did anyone else buying them from that one ebay guy get the box ripped open in the front? Mine came in with a large tear right where the headphones lie behind it, and taped over, almost as if someone ripped it open, took out the headphones, then put them back in. Rest of the box is intact with seals and all, and the headphones look new and genuine at first glance.. but very suspicious, especially given the low price.

Edit: Also, unfortunately, while they sound great and are very light, the top of the headband immediately started bothering me, similar to beyers. I might have to try to add some extra padding, like a towel...

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #113 of 2,677
Quote:
So I finally decided to get these, but.. did anyone else buying them from that one ebay guy get the box ripped open in the front? Mine came in with a large tear right where the headphones lie behind it, and taped over, almost as if someone ripped it open, took out the headphones, then put them back in. Rest of the box is intact with seals and all, and the headphones look new and genuine at first glance.. but very suspicious, especially given the low price.

Edit: Also, unfortunately, while they sound great and are very light, the top of the headband immediately started bothering me, similar to beyers. I might have to try to add some extra padding, like a towel...

That sucks the box was torn in the front.

I had a lot of issues with the headband at first, oddly it went away for the most part but it does still bother me here and there. I had that problem with Beyers as well. While I find the MA900 comfortable, I don't find them as comfortable as many rave them to be, I personally I found the Q701, K702 Annies, and the K240 with Beyer pads far more comfortable and the most comfortable headphones I have worn.

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #114 of 2,677
Quote:

From which seller you bought? I think no fakes exist still, it is very new product and not as popular as others

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #115 of 2,677
some might find uncomfortable with top of the headband since it don't have much soft materials.. but honestly I don't have much cumfort issues with this ma900. since ear pads barely touch my ears, it wont build up much heat compare to other headphones..  personally I don't like velor earpads with high clamping force since it can get dirty very easily (that was one of the main reasons I chose ma900 over dt880/990), especially if you sweat, then you ll get itching issues , and stains/odors could also be issues with velor if you sweat on them often..   
the only issue I'm having is, flimsy headband adjustment. it wont give any satisfy clicks or hold one position well..

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #116 of 2,677
I missed this thread?

The Sony MA-900 is impressing me more and more. The bass is good, the soundstage is fantastic, imaging is even better, the balance/warmth/body is great, the comfort is great. It makes a SERIOUSLY great alternative for the X1. Both are easy to drive (the MA-900 more so), both do exceedingly well for gaming and music, with the MA900 being a bit less fatiguing in the upper range, and better in the mids, while the X1 is a little more bass oriented and overall more refined.

To top it off, the MA900 is not picky about output impedance due to the impedance compensator.

For the price, I don't think I could recommend any other headphone more than the MA-900. It's REALLY good.

My personal problem is that it caters to the same things that X1 does for me to warrant keeping both. I do feel like I can just toss my MA900 with more abandon due to it's simpler aesthetics and black plastic finish. I'd be more wary of abusing the X1 in fears of scratching it.

Time will tell.

For under $200, the MA-900 is going to be my top recommendation for all purpose uses. Music, gaming, movies. Jack of all trades.

My main issue with the MA900 is that the pads seriously need an upgrade. They compress too easily, and have like zero density. Anyone tried swapping them out for 880/990 velours or something? Ideally something that doesn't isolate too much, so not the 770 pads.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #117 of 2,677
Quote:
I missed this thread?

The Sony MA-900 is impressing me more and more. The bass is good, the soundstage is fantastic, imaging is even better, the balance/warmth/body is great, the comfort is great. It makes a SERIOUSLY great alternative for the X1. Both are easy to drive (the MA-900 more so), both do exceedingly well for gaming and music, with the MA900 being a bit less fatiguing in the upper range, and better in the mids, while the X1 is a little more bass oriented and overall more refined.

To top it off, the MA900 is not picky about output impedance due to the impedance compensator.

For the price, I don't think I could recommend any other headphone more than the MA-900. It's REALLY good.

My personal problem is that it caters to the same things that X1 does for me to warrant keeping both. I do feel like I can just toss my MA900 with more abandon due to it's simpler aesthetics and black plastic finish. I'd be more wary of abusing the X1 in fears of scratching it.

Time will tell.

For under $200, the MA-900 is going to be my top recommendation for all purpose uses. Music, gaming, movies. Jack of all trades.

My main issue with the MA900 is that the pads seriously need an upgrade. They compress too easily, and have like zero density. Anyone tried swapping them out for 880/990 velours or something? Ideally something that doesn't isolate too much, so not the 770 pads.

I tried but it ruins sound completely, too bloated mid bass and more darkish tone...

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #119 of 2,677
Quote:
I tried but it ruins sound completely, too bloated mid bass and more darkish tone...

Ahh sorry forget to write, DT880 pads these http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Pair-Ear-Pads-Cushion-Replaces-for-Beyerdynamic-DT770-DT551-DT880-DT531-DT801-/350803529000?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item51ad850d28

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #120 of 2,677
Those don't look like legitimate Beyer pads. Might be a different density (altering SQ, etc). It doesn't have the holes on the Beyer velours or the driver cover (which I'd definitely remove for the MA900).

I want someone with legititmate Beyer pads to try it. :frowning2:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT990VB-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B008XEYT6G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1377162496&sr=8-5&keywords=dt880+velour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back