Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #93 of 2,677
Quote:
I have owned the HD600 for a long time , HD650 briefly, AKG K700 for a few months but never had the DT880. In my opinion the MA900 is better than all of them in one respect or another.
They make all of these seem like closed cans, their soundstage is so spacious, it is the kind of presentation that can fool you into thinking you have speakers on, this is helped by the comfort which really does make these cans disappear.
The top and bottom end are by no means the best i have heard, the bass is tight , warm and keeps the tracks moving along nicely , the treble rolls off a bit but is detailed and enjoyable. The mids are great , they are a little forward but really vibrant (remind me of the W3000ANV a bit).
I got a good deal on these but in my headphone history i put these here W3000ANV > HD800 > MA900 > HD600 > loads of others , so i can safely say that these are a major bargain. 

Pretty impressive for a $180 can to beat all those $300-500 monsters. I am strongly considering getting one. 

These have an impedance of 12ohms right? Do they benefit from any amping? 

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #94 of 2,677
Pretty impressive for a $180 can to beat all those $300-500 monsters. I am strongly considering getting one. 

These have an impedance of 12ohms right? Do they benefit from any amping? 

According to sound science theory, the output impedance of the amp vs the headphone impedance, the amp output impedance should be around 8 times lesser to avoid damping factor to get the best sound. Headphone impedance as in different range of frequency, if the y headphone have impedance of 8 at bass section, it's always better to have a headphone output impedance at less than 1 to get the best bass respond, anything above 1 say 5 will result in rolled off bass and thin sound may occur

Billson :)

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #95 of 2,677
Quote:
According to sound science theory, the output impedance of the amp vs the headphone impedance, the amp output impedance should be around 8 times lesser to avoid damping factor to get the best sound. Headphone impedance as in different range of frequency, if the y headphone have impedance of 8 at bass section, it's always better to have a headphone output impedance at less than 1 to get the best bass respond, anything above 1 say 5 will result in rolled off bass and thin sound may occur

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

To be honest, i don't know the output impedance of either my LD MK2 or my FiiO E11. Will at least one of them work fine with the MA900's?

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #96 of 2,677
To be honest, i don't know the output impedance of either my LD MK2 or my FiiO E11. Will at least one of them work fine with the MA900's?

If I recall, the FiiO E11 have a output impedance at less than 1 Ohm so it shouldn't be a problem :) not sure about the other one thought :xf_eek:

Billson :)

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #98 of 2,677
My wife, who has not cared much about headphones and listens mostly to cheapo earbuds, tried out the MA900s and after 10 minutes she asked me to buy her a pair also.The biggest selling point was that they are so comfortable, but she also loved the sound.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #100 of 2,677
Quote:
Grr. I just broke the 3.mm plug. Guys, how do I replace the plug? I have a soldering iron.

Buy some nice plug and solder 3 wire that's all, probably 5$ max
biggrin.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-35mm-Male-to-3-5mm-3-Pole-Male-Repair-headphone-Jack-Plug-Metal-Audio-Solder-/261265635776?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3cd4a539c0

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #105 of 2,677
Just got mine this past week.  These are such pleasant sounding cans.  They do a lot genres(excluding much of the bass heavy stuff) very well.  The presentation of these is fantastic.  So wide and big.  I started out liking heavy bass.  But currently I've become quite addicted to big sound stages.  Just something about them appeals to me.  These are fantastic for my main genres.  Classical and metal.  To my ears they have the speed and attack for metal.  The mids sound right up front also.  However for classical they have that big sound stage that does so well for orchestral.  While at the same time being detailed and subtle for classical music.  It definitely is going to be a long time before I upgrade again.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back