Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #76 of 2,677
The other listing expired, but I just bought a pair as they were relisted for another 5 days at the same price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330986774496&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I look forward to trying them with my Tera Player and iCAN amp.

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #77 of 2,677
Aug 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #78 of 2,677
Aug 15, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #81 of 2,677
Generally speaking the US is always cheaper for everything, Scotch is cheaper in the US than where i am ... Scotland. A good example (although not Sony) at the moment is the ATH-A900Xx , in UK £340 , if i import £140.
So yes Sony is cheaper.

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #82 of 2,677
Generally speaking the US is always cheaper for everything, Scotch is cheaper in the US than where i am ... Scotland. A good example (although not Sony) at the moment is the ATH-A900Xx , in UK £340 , if i import £140.
So yes Sony is cheaper.

Thanks for the info! Guess will be patient a bit

Billson :)

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #84 of 2,677
Are these headphones really that good? I see them being compared to the big boys in mid-fi such as HD600/650, DT880, and AKG x701. I might get myself a pair if it compliments my DT880's well, since the detail and treble energy of the Beyers can be a bit much sometimes. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #85 of 2,677
I just posted my first impressions of the MA900 with my iCAN amp on my review of the iCAN (http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail )

But here it is again pasted in:

So I got my Sony MDR-MA900 yesterday, and my impression so far is that this is a great match with the iCAN. The MA900 by itself is a spacious headphone with a unique and wide soundstage due to its unique construction. But it is the first pair of headphones that have a very wide soundstage that still benefit a lot from the iCAN's 3D effect. The other two headphones I have tried with the iCAN that are know for their spacious sound (the Beyer T1 and AKG K702) were too bright to handle the added treble energy when the 3D is turned on. So they would get too bright and edgy, and in the case of the AKGs, the sound would sometimes get an un-natural tone.

But the MA900 has a wide soundstage and yet is rolled off in the high end, so it only gets better with the 3D effect on the iCAN. And it is quite amazing how spacious and open the sound is. The instrument separation is the best I have heard yet. It is easy and effortless to follow each instrument and hear it's unique location in space. And yet the music still has a wonderful gestalt. It is just a very large gestalt! When I switch back to my ESW9s, the sound is much more compressed and can feel a bit claustrophobic until my ears adapt.

In addition, I find the bass on the Sony's to be very polite, so I mostly listen with the xBass cranked up all of the way to the high setting. The bass stays nice and clear and tight even with the full on boost, and it warms up and fills out the body of the sound nicely.

I would say these Sony headphones benefit the most from the extra features of the iCAN of all of the headphones I have tried. They are definitely a keeper, and provide a nice contrast in sound to the ESW9s. The ESW9s are more like delicious hot chocolate. Rich, sweet, fun and somehow warming to the soul. The MA900s are more like the clearest, cleanest cold spring water: the sound is so realistic and open and spacious that it leaves a totally clean and empty aftertaste which is totally refreshing.

The Sony's are available at a very good price on Ebay for another day or so: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330986774496&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #90 of 2,677
Quote:
Are these headphones really that good? I see them being compared to the big boys in mid-fi such as HD600/650, DT880, and AKG x701. I might get myself a pair if it compliments my DT880's well, since the detail and treble energy of the Beyers can be a bit much sometimes. 

I have owned the HD600 for a long time , HD650 briefly, AKG K700 for a few months but never had the DT880. In my opinion the MA900 is better than all of them in one respect or another.
They make all of these seem like closed cans, their soundstage is so spacious, it is the kind of presentation that can fool you into thinking you have speakers on, this is helped by the comfort which really does make these cans disappear.
The top and bottom end are by no means the best i have heard, the bass is tight , warm and keeps the tracks moving along nicely , the treble rolls off a bit but is detailed and enjoyable. The mids are great , they are a little forward but really vibrant (remind me of the W3000ANV a bit).
I got a good deal on these but in my headphone history i put these here W3000ANV > HD800 > MA900 > HD600 > loads of others , so i can safely say that these are a major bargain. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back