Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #136 of 2,677
To any MA900 owner, please kindly comment:
1) Would you please measure depth and diameter (in centimeter) of the inner cups? Thank you!
2) I guess they don't ventilate as well as MDR-F1s (MA900s warm up ears more than F1s), correct?
3) Do you still sweat while wearing MA900s in a summer day?

My F1s are the only full-sized headphones that don't make me sweat (I don't have K1000s, as they make my wallet sweat). Not saying they don't sound good, however what I am primarily seeking in MA900s or F1s is comfort and ventilation. Sound quality would be icing on the cake -- I am aware that MA900s have better bass and tonal balance than F1s, which is why I am looking into MA900s.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #137 of 2,677
The MA900 stays the coolest on the ears out of every single over ear headphone I have ever worn. No comparison. This is THE summer wearing headphone for me.

The inner depth varies. The rear is super deep, but the front is shallow, and wearing the MA900 regularly, your ears will touch the driver cover, but is still very comfy (still the most comfy over ear I have ever worn).

The diameter is super wide. No way your ears will touch the walls of the pads.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #138 of 2,677
ZZ,

The MA900's are featherweight and the ergonomics are excellent. And they don't sound boxed in like most headphones and IEMs do. Due to these factors, I usually forget that I am wearing them.

As Mad notes, the diameter of the inner cups is large; the depth increases towards the back of the cups, although not in a linear fashion. For me, regardless of headphone positioning, the ears touch some part of the headphone. But the material is soft and clamping force is low so the MA900s are wearable for hours. For reference, all on-ear headphones I have tried become painful after 20-40 minutes.

"3) Do you still sweat while wearing MA900s in a summer day?"

It is a hot summer so everyone naturally perspires. However, wearing the MA900s, I don't notice any increased perspiration. 

In closing, I have tried dozens of headphones and IEMs and found the MA900 has few competitors (at any price) from an overall sound and comfort perspective.

FYI - I don't have any interest in Sony, financial or otherwise.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #139 of 2,677
Quote:
ZZ,

The MA900's are featherweight and the ergonomics are excellent. And they don't sound boxed in like most headphones and IEMs do. Due to these factors, I usually forget that I am wearing them.

As Mad notes, the diameter of the inner cups is large; the depth increases towards the back of the cups, although not in a linear fashion. For me, regardless of headphone positioning, the ears touch some part of the headphone. But the material is soft and clamping force is low so the MA900s are wearable for hours. For reference, all on-ear headphones I have tried become painful after 20-40 minutes.

"3) Do you still sweat while wearing MA900s in a summer day?"

It is a hot summer so everyone naturally perspires. However, wearing the MA900s, I don't notice any increased perspiration. 

In closing, I have tried dozens of headphones and IEMs and found the MA900 has few competitors (at any price) from an overall sound and comfort perspective.

FYI - I don't have any interest in Sony, financial or otherwise.

Competitors such as?

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #140 of 2,677
^ Thanks so much guys. You are very helpful.
I have giant protruding alien ears that sweat a lot, which was why I asked. It would be fantastic if someone can tell me if MA900's ventilation is noticeably less than MDR-F1s (F1s' driver covers do not touch ears at all), but I understand that not many own F1s.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #144 of 2,677
Quote:
^ Thanks so much guys. You are very helpful.
I have giant protruding alien ears that sweat a lot, which was why I asked. It would be fantastic if someone can tell me if MA900's ventilation is noticeably less than MDR-F1s (F1s' driver covers do not touch ears at all), but I understand that not many own F1s.

The rear opening is lesser by a notable margin becuase the driver's increase in diameter, as well as the angle being smaller slightly.  So yeah, less breathy than F1 but as others said it's still a notch above pretty much anything except HD800/K1000/PFR-V1 in this regard.
Quote:
Can any one compare MA900 to the HD600 . I nearly pull the trigger on the MA900 , I do some research and find out there is a mod for the MA900 called the resistor mod . Has anyone tried it ?

I did bypass the ressisors and it does bring a subtle improvemed clarity across the board, enhancing the openess even more... but it's really in the last few percent of improvement, like a nice upgraded cable might bring.

The current ebay deal is quite amazing i might add, I'm really buffled as to how the seller can offer such a floor-low price and still make a profit considering the original MSRP. Could Sony's inital mark-up been really that high?

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #145 of 2,677
Quote:

The current ebay deal is quite amazing i might add, I'm really buffled as to how the seller can offer such a floor-low price and still make a profit considering the original MSRP. Could Sony's inital mark-up been really that high?

I actually have the same question! I first thought that it is because the seller purchase a lotttttt of stock from Sony but then, it can't be that low!

Billson :)

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #147 of 2,677
Quote:
that's very impressive , It will be nice if you can show us how to open and how to bypass the resistor . Maybe some picture

popcorn.gif

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #149 of 2,677
So guys I'm tied up between the MA900s and the upcoming Vsonic VSD5.

Which one'll have better SQ leaving aside all other factors to be considered. I know it's not an apt comparison, but still, gimme your thoughts guys.

I suggest you to wait for awhile for some reviews on the Vsonic VSD5 review to show up! Since like you said, "upcoming"

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back