Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #166 of 2,677
I'm certainly going to be recommending the MA900 as much as possible. There's way too much to love about it to not shine a spotlight on it.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #167 of 2,677
have any of you guys had a chance to message the ebay seller? he didn't mark mine as shipped and messaged twice never responded.

top rated seller i know. not first time happen maybe guy's busy.

i am in canada anybody else ordered from this guy for 140 bucks plus shipping? how long take to deliver?

can't wait to find out how this sounds vs the dt1350 on the xonar stx. also hearing it sits between hd600 and 800 makes more more eager lol.

do any of you guys buy something on ebay like back to back when you receive the item then same day buy another one so have something to look forward to? ebay addiction? i would say i got half of my electronics on ebay like cameras, headphones, other than computer. but monitors definitely ebay. xonar stx from ebay. hard to support loco when significant saving is there.

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #168 of 2,677
  have any of you guys had a chance to message the ebay seller? he didn't mark mine as shipped and messaged twice never responded.

top rated seller i know. not first time happen maybe guy's busy.

i am in canada anybody else ordered from this guy for 140 bucks plus shipping? how long take to deliver?

can't wait to find out how this sounds vs the dt1350 on the xonar stx. also hearing it sits between hd600 and 800 makes more more eager lol.

do any of you guys buy something on ebay like back to back when you receive the item then same day buy another one so have something to look forward to? ebay addiction? i would say i got half of my electronics on ebay like cameras, headphones, other than computer. but monitors definitely ebay. xonar stx from ebay. hard to support loco when significant saving is there.

Funny you posted that...mine didn't arrive as scheduled and there was no tracking posted so I raised the issue with ebay and then he quickly responded and sent them out 2nd day delivery the next day.  Guy is a tad defensive but I can handle that at this price. Box was torn and scuffed but product is fine.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #169 of 2,677
To any kind MA900 owner:
Would you please measure the width of the headphones' arm (straight portion right above cups), and inform me how many centimeters it measures.

Is it closer to 0.7cm, 1cm or 1.5cm? I have a DIY project that could use that measurement (it has to be wide enough otherwise MA900s won't work for my purpose).

Thank you so much!

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #170 of 2,677
To any kind MA900 owner:
Would you please measure the width of the headphones' arm (straight portion right above cups), and inform me how many centimeters it measures.

Is it closer to 0.7cm, 1cm or 1.5cm? I have a DIY project that could use that measurement (it has to be wide enough otherwise MA900s won't work for my purpose).

Thank you so much!

No micrometer here, just a ruler, but it appears to be close to 0.7 cm, perhaps 0.75.

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #172 of 2,677
I'm certainly going to be recommending the MA900 as much as possible. There's way too much to love about it to not shine a spotlight on it.
The recent rave and review on your gaming thread is probably the biggest boost of recognition to the MA900 on Head-Fi since that early shoddily-done negative review that killed the MA900 discovery bandwagon.

By the way, anyone have recommendations on what to use and how to clean the MA900 pads?

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #173 of 2,677
The pads slip off easily, so id just remove it, fill up the bathroom sink with water add some mild hand soap and just dunk them in. Then rinse and air dry. Probably wouldn't even take long, due to how thin and porous the pads are.

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #174 of 2,677
I want to see what these look like opened up, im curious about the acoustic valve , it appears to be simply some thin card oragamied into a circular basket shape with a whole in the middle.
Word of caution as well , be careful lifting these by the cup as your thumb is likely to squash this acoustic lense out of shape.

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #175 of 2,677
Just received the Sony today, on loan from MLE. Thank you kindly for the loan btw. Here are my unbiased impressions of the ma900 as I don't know jack didley about it tbh.

Really like:

*supreme comfort. This hp simply "rides" on your head with a sub zero level of clamp. At first I wanted more clamp from it as it felt as though it would slip off my head if I bent over to tie my shoes. After a few minutes it simply disappears on the head and feel like nothing is there. Comfort is a very close second to sound signature in my book and I'll give the comfort on the Sony a solid 9.

*good balance across the spectrum. No part of the signature is much out of place. The bass doesn't bleed into the mids. There is a nice transition from mids to treble without any congestion which is a common for many hp at this juncture in the sound. Everything flows freely between the mids and treble and feels easy and relaxed in presentation without any sense of strain to reproduce the music.

Don't like:

*the cable stinks. It couldn't be more cheaply made or any longer. It could double as a repelling apparatus should I ever decide to take up repelling. The first thing that I'd do is chop that cable in half and replace the jack with something decent. 

*build quality and design. Still getting my brain around this. Looks and feels like a cheapie, at first. The more I use it though, the better it seems to be put together and more solid than my initial impression was. Seriously angled and open pads adds to the sound stage for me. I wonder if the pads could be about twice as thick. They feel somewhat like memory foam but I'm not sure on that. The real issue that I have with the design is that the cups are largish. I'd want to use these as a home portable and the cup size holds them back from doing that somewhat. 

Kinda like:

*The bass does go somewhat deep but the weight and visceral impact are somewhat lacking. This is not a deal breaker for me at all, particularly at this price point. The mid bass is present and not bloated. The sub bass in tight and in balance with the rest of the sound. 

*The mids lack some of the natural tonality that I have come to love and appreciate. There is a hint of graininess that is present especially in female vocals. Again, I'm being VERY picky here and this is not a deal breaker either. In fact there is some nice body to the mids that impressed me after I got past the slight grainny sound. 

*The treble is pretty darn good. I like a darker treble but one that can still resolve and extend when the material calls for it. There is nothing harsh or fatiguing whatsoever about the treble here. Cymbals and violins came through with nice realism. 

Overall:

After about three hours going through my test material, the Sony's are really growing on me. I wasn't even sure what the price point was and just went to check amazon.  Looks like about $200 shipped. In my estimation, what they offer certainly justifies the asking price. Will I go out and grab a pair? Not sure. If I see them on the used forum here for less, I'd jump on it for sure. 

I was a bit disappointed when I listened to these on the x3 by fiio. Fortunately with the A2/bf the sound scaled up quite nicely and I found myself really getting lost in the music. These are good hp's, very good. The offer NO isolation. They do offer a nice comfortable experience and don't do much wrong and do so many things right. 

Anybody want to sell their pair?  
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #176 of 2,677

*The bass does go somewhat deep but the weight and visceral impact are somewhat lacking. This is not a deal breaker for me at all, particularly at this price point. The mid bass is present and not bloated. The sub bass in tight and in balance with the rest of the sound. 

*The mids lack some of the natural tonality that I have come to love and appreciate. There is a hint of graininess that is present especially in female vocals. Again, I'm being VERY picky here and this is not a deal breaker either. In fact there is some nice body to the mids that impressed me after I got past the slight grainny sound. 

After a few days with these headphones, I really fell in love with them. After about 2 weeks, I really didn't use them that much at all. Basically it came down to these two complaints. The midrange had grain that always stood out to me, especially when I would switch headphones. It really messed up a lot of vocals. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #177 of 2,677
I can hear the grain also. Could be that the uberfrost helps to melt some of it away, not sure. There was certainly more grain in the vocals when I listened with the x3. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #178 of 2,677
  I can hear the grain also. Could be that the uberfrost helps to melt some of it away, not sure. There was certainly more grain in the vocals when I listened with the x3. 

I tried these headphones with a handful of amplifiers I had at the time, and I thought it was most noticeable on the Audio-GD NFB-10SE I had at the time. 

If I had been really bent on keeping them, I might have had that little resistor removed. Although I admire the physics behind it, the result is ultimately, no matter what amplifier you are using, you are reducing the quality of the driver. Somewhere I saw someone remove it on the MDR-F1, and they said it noticeably improved the clarity of the driver. Guess it's just further proof Sony is an electronics manufacturer over an audio company 
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #179 of 2,677
After reading a few reviews with comparisons to the hd650, I'll say this..."the hd650 thoroughly outclasses the Sony IMO." BUT...it's not a stretch to call them a poor man's hd650. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #180 of 2,677
so you are saying the guy didn't send it out when it's not marked as "shipped".

rarely I see that happen but I was hoping that's the case. so looks like he's not sending it out yet. I bought on the 7th. 9 days so far still no ship and no tracking.

how this guy is top rated seller I don't know? I am a cool guy I am gonna give it another week if not receive i'll report to ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back