Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #182 of 2,677
it appears that several of us have jumped on the same deal for these headphones. Has anyone gotten a shipping notice? I'm getting a little nervous.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #184 of 2,677
  so you are saying the guy didn't send it out when it's not marked as "shipped".

rarely I see that happen but I was hoping that's the case. so looks like he's not sending it out yet. I bought on the 7th. 9 days so far still no ship and no tracking.

how this guy is top rated seller I don't know? I am a cool guy I am gonna give it another week if not receive i'll report to ebay.

Well when I wrote that he was a "tad defensive" it was because in reply, he stated that he'd sent them already and that if I received the first pair I should send them back to him. Yeah...right. I recognize bs when I smell it, so I ignored his comment. A 2 day tracking number was then posted within a few hours and goods were received three days later. Incidentally, I ordered using an eBay account that was almost brand new (unlike shared account with my wife) so perhaps I looked like a sucker. 

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm paying $15 for shipping and it's 2 days late and there's no tracking number, I'm always going to open a report with eBay right away. It's not an issue for him as long as he sorts it out. Once the goods are received, mark the report as resolved. Look after yourself and don't worry about him.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #185 of 2,677
I'm checking into recabling the ma900. Anyone else taken a look at a recable for these?

Second day into the Sony and I'm still more impressed each time I listen. Overall it falls short of the hd6xx, but also beats out the Senn's on things like comfort and bigger sound stage. I would have never guessed I'd find something more comfortable to wear than the Senn. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #190 of 2,677
Can anyone provide some instructions for the resistor mod? Maybe with pictures...I am not that handy with electronics, but maybe it is something I could attempt if I had a clear idea of what is involved. I've searched and the only thing I found were some hand drawn diagrams.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #191 of 2,677
For those opting for the great ebay price...after three days I sent a message to the seller asking for a tracking number. I got a somewhat aggrevated response back saying that it takes 3-4 business days to process. 
frown.gif

I think that the ma900 could replace my hd650. For me, it's not the equal of the hd650 but offers a very similar presentation, better comfort and sound stage. The hd650 has a richer, more layers signature and it overall a better hp but at considerably more money. Something to think about. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #192 of 2,677
  For those opting for the great ebay price...after three days I sent a message to the seller asking for a tracking number. I got a somewhat aggrevated response back saying that it takes 3-4 business days to process. 
frown.gif

I think that the ma900 could replace my hd650. For me, it's not the equal of the hd650 but offers a very similar presentation, better comfort and sound stage. The hd650 has a richer, more layers signature and it overall a better hp but at considerably more money. Something to think about. 

Matt,
I have a pair of these being sent to me by ..MLE,for testing
Can you give me a brief SQ review on them ,& your general opinion?...MLE was rather insistent ,I try them.

I'll be using the Taboo & Metrum Octave II.

If you have time-OK?

Tnx,
Mike

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #193 of 2,677
Just received the Sony today, on loan from MLE. Thank you kindly for the loan btw. Here are my unbiased impressions of the ma900 as I don't know jack didley about it tbh.

Really like:

*supreme comfort. This hp simply "rides" on your head with a sub zero level of clamp. At first I wanted more clamp from it as it felt as though it would slip off my head if I bent over to tie my shoes. After a few minutes it simply disappears on the head and feel like nothing is there. Comfort is a very close second to sound signature in my book and I'll give the comfort on the Sony a solid 9.

*good balance across the spectrum. No part of the signature is much out of place. The bass doesn't bleed into the mids. There is a nice transition from mids to treble without any congestion which is a common for many hp at this juncture in the sound. Everything flows freely between the mids and treble and feels easy and relaxed in presentation without any sense of strain to reproduce the music.

Don't like:

*the cable stinks. It couldn't be more cheaply made or any longer. It could double as a repelling apparatus should I ever decide to take up repelling. The first thing that I'd do is chop that cable in half and replace the jack with something decent. 

*build quality and design. Still getting my brain around this. Looks and feels like a cheapie, at first. The more I use it though, the better it seems to be put together and more solid than my initial impression was. Seriously angled and open pads adds to the sound stage for me. I wonder if the pads could be about twice as thick. They feel somewhat like memory foam but I'm not sure on that. The real issue that I have with the design is that the cups are largish. I'd want to use these as a home portable and the cup size holds them back from doing that somewhat. 

Kinda like:

*The bass does go somewhat deep but the weight and visceral impact are somewhat lacking. This is not a deal breaker for me at all, particularly at this price point. The mid bass is present and not bloated. The sub bass in tight and in balance with the rest of the sound. 

*The mids lack some of the natural tonality that I have come to love and appreciate. There is a hint of graininess that is present especially in female vocals. Again, I'm being VERY picky here and this is not a deal breaker either. In fact there is some nice body to the mids that impressed me after I got past the slight grainny sound. 

*The treble is pretty darn good. I like a darker treble but one that can still resolve and extend when the material calls for it. There is nothing harsh or fatiguing whatsoever about the treble here. Cymbals and violins came through with nice realism. 

Overall:

After about three hours going through my test material, the Sony's are really growing on me. I wasn't even sure what the price point was and just went to check amazon.  Looks like about $200 shipped. In my estimation, what they offer certainly justifies the asking price. Will I go out and grab a pair? Not sure. If I see them on the used forum here for less, I'd jump on it for sure. 

I was a bit disappointed when I listened to these on the x3 by fiio. Fortunately with the A2/bf the sound scaled up quite nicely and I found myself really getting lost in the music. These are good hp's, very good. The offer NO isolation. They do offer a nice comfortable experience and don't do much wrong and do so many things right. 

Anybody want to sell their pair?  
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #194 of 2,677
I actually bought two from the ebay seller. The first one arrived promptly in just 3 days, but the second one took about a week to get to me. It did eventually get here though. I paid on the 15th, it shipped on the 18th and arrived on the 21st.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #195 of 2,677

:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back