Sony MDR MA 900 (new release from Sony)
Jan 21, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #676 of 772
Quote:
You should wait for AD900X I guess 
tongue.gif

That one does look interesting.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #677 of 772
Quote:

If only the HD600 still around or easy to find, that would be my best bet.

If i'm not mistaken, last month the person from senn offer me 1 or 2 pcs HD600 (their last stock), I'll check again later, just in case you want them so bad 
biggrin.gif

Wait, why single sided is bad for you?

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #678 of 772
Quote:
If i'm not mistaken, last month the person from senn offer me 1 or 2 pcs HD600 (their last stock), I'll check again later, just in case you want them so bad 
biggrin.gif

Wait, why single sided is bad for you?

Woah that will be great if possible :D

Note that not all single sided are bad, this case was special since those headphone (AD line up) already got the ability to have double side cable yet they didn't make it that way....

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #679 of 772
Quote:

It's a really unique sound signature to hit on. I place the MA900 somewhere between the Q701 and HD650. It's very warm, but not as muddy as the HD650.

Is that in terms of sound signature or technical ability? I enjoyed both the K701 and HD650 but a hybrid of their sound signatures would be fantastic, although if I have to give up their technical abilities (speed, detail, clarity being priorities) I'm not sure if I would do it. I currently have a K501 right now and am looking at the MA900 as a more comfortable long-term wear alternative, and as a "quality side-grade".

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #680 of 772
Quote:
Is that in terms of sound signature or technical ability? I enjoyed both the K701 and HD650 but a hybrid of their sound signatures would be fantastic, although if I have to give up their technical abilities (speed, detail, clarity being priorities) I'm not sure if I would do it. I currently have a K501 right now and am looking at the MA900 as a more comfortable long-term wear alternative, and as a "quality side-grade".

I think I'm sure that he pointed about sound signature, because for me the MA900 is clearly below both of that headphones in term of technicality. :)

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #681 of 772
Quote:

Quote:
I think I'm sure that he pointed about sound signature, because for me the MA900 is clearly below both of that headphones in term of technicality. :)

Ooops! Indeed what TheMiddleSky said. I meant purely in terms of sound signature. These would not be a side-grade, even for the K501, certainly not for the K701/HD650. If you want a K501 that is an upgrade and comfortable, the only thing I can think of is an audio technica ad2000

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #682 of 772
Got my 2nd pair in today. Couldn't resist buying them again, considering they were one of my favorite headphones ever. But the main reason I bought them was to compare against my favorite headphone up to this point, the HE-500.

I originally had a 67 song playlist lined up for comparison, but after the first few song segments, I started losing the desire to continue. I was quite surprised to find I simply preferred the MA900 to the HE-500, and IMHO, I think it flat-out sounds better. Luckily, I got through 40 something songs before I stopped from exhaustion (not the entire songs, but segments). I took notes during, and after each song. Reviewing them now, I've given the majority of points to the MA900, with only a few songs I found the HE-500 to sound better on. The MA900 really brought out the sibilant nature in the HE-500, even though I don't even find the HE-500 to be sibilant in the first place. While the HE-500 nails, nails, nails balance and the "sound spectrum" for what it is, the MA900 brings the music to life to a greater extent with it's very airy and massively expensive sound. The HE-500 sounds boxed-in in comparison, though, still sounds marvelous at that. MA900's midrange, shockingly, sounds as good in many instances. HE-500's bass has got awesome bass extension, but the MA900 has a similar tactility most of the time, just not quite as deep. HE-500 sounds a tad thin at times in comparison, and that may be due to it's speed and clarity, nonetheless, double-edged sword at that! Both are GREAT, but with this out of the way, I'm pretty sure I'll have to crown the MA900 as my favorite sounding headphone, for now.

So long big guy. I will never forget our earliest of memories.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #683 of 772
MA900 has a very smooth top end. Sounds rather like an HD800 without the treble peak.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #684 of 772
Is this some kind of audio bargain that everyone is missing?

It sounds like its got an incredible sound stage and is easily beating Senn HD-598's and other mid range phones/

How would these compare to say, an HD600 refurbished? Both are 200 flat.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #685 of 772
Quote:
Is this some kind of audio bargain that everyone is missing?

It sounds like its got an incredible sound stage and is easily beating Senn HD-598's and other mid range phones/

How would these compare to say, an HD600 refurbished? Both are 200 flat.

Perhaps. The MA900 have been swept under the rug. I think there are a total of 3 reviews online, and one is mine.

One of my biggest gripes is the build quality. It feels very cheap. But I guess that's not what's really important.

HD600 is a great headphone. Extremely good balance, and easily one of my favorites. The MA900 has a much airy and "bigger" sound, but the HD600 is more neutral/balanced. Can't comment on a refurb, but I would assume it would sound the same as a normal one. Not really sure. If you plan on scaling up in the future, the HD600 will adapt to amps and upgrades to a much higher extent than the MA900 (as far as I know). HD600 would probably suit most people's needs right off the bat, while the MA900 may take a certain type due to it's presentation. Comfort goes to the MA900, although I love the HD600 once stretched. Build quality goes to the HD600, obviously.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #686 of 772
When I get my AD900X's, I'm planning to do a review /comparison of the two. (Cuz they both have, like, 900 in the name and everything.)

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #687 of 772
Quote:

Perhaps. The MA900 have been swept under the rug. I think there are a total of 3 reviews online, and one is mine.

One of my biggest gripes is the build quality. It feels very cheap. But I guess that's not what's really important.

HD600 is a great headphone. Extremely good balance, and easily one of my favorites. The MA900 has a much airy and "bigger" sound, but the HD600 is more neutral/balanced. Can't comment on a refurb, but I would assume it would sound the same as a normal one. Not really sure. If you plan on scaling up in the future, the HD600 will adapt to amps and upgrades to a much higher extent than the MA900 (as far as I know). HD600 would probably suit most people's needs right off the bat, while the MA900 may take a certain type due to it's presentation. Comfort goes to the MA900, although I love the HD600 once stretched. Build quality goes to the HD600, obviously.

Thanks! I love a "big" sound. I personally hate any honkyness in mids and peaks and things like that. I really like an airy presentation. 
Do these still have the ability to hit you marginally with bass? Not like a closed can, but does it stay present during the music, not getting muddied out? That would be such a dream headphone.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #688 of 772
Quote:
Thanks! I love a "big" sound. I personally hate any honkyness in mids and peaks and things like that. I really like an airy presentation. 
Do these still have the ability to hit you marginally with bass? Not like a closed can, but does it stay present during the music, not getting muddied out? That would be such a dream headphone.

The MA900 is actually quite bass light, as is the HD600. I've found it improves quite a bit with something as simple as an E10. Not sure if that's because the E10 is pretty warm and a bit bassy, or if that's the "amping" doing its thing. But I'd recommend running them off a small(ish) amp. Didn't really mess too much with EQ, so I can't comment on how that would effect the sound, but that's always an option if the bass is too light. I would try it stock first, EQ second, and then buy an amp third. But to be completely honest, most if not all open headphones don't really satisfy my bass cravings when I have them. Only closed headphones can do that for me. So I'm not sure they'll "hit" you enough with how they sound, but, I'm sure you'll be so involved into the presentation you won't even realize any shortcomings (if applicable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back