Sony MDR MA 900 (new release from Sony)
Feb 25, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #691 of 772
Quote:

That would be excellent! I'd be sure to read. I've been extremely curious about the AD900X.

So have I! I really like the MA900 (more than I loved the AD900) so I'm all a flutter.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #692 of 772
Ma900 is on par with hd650, with more refined treble, less bass, more flimsy and lightweight construction.
Pure Win and my top recommendation for everyone, except bassheads. Doesn't expected something this awesome coming from Sony.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #693 of 772
Ma900 is on par with hd650, with more refined treble, less bass, more flimsy and lightweight construction.
Pure Win and my top recommendation for everyone, except bassheads. Doesn't expected something this awesome coming from Sony.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #694 of 772
Quote:

Yes its always mystified me why the MA900 is not more popular. I think the initial criticism of the build quality put a lot of people off (for good reason I guess).

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #695 of 772
Quote:

Quote:

Yes its always mystified me why the MA900 is not more popular. I think the initial criticism of the build quality put a lot of people off (for good reason I guess).

What about refinement and detail retrieval compared to the HD650 with vocals?

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #696 of 772
MA900 is more "calm" and flat sounding, compared to hd650. Detail retrieval is about the same, but female vocals on ma900 doesn't "scream" on you even at high volume. I doesn't try to say hd650s is screaming on you, no. They just a little less polite.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #697 of 772
Just wanted to mention something.

The MA900 is very placement dependent. If you have them more forward on your head, they'll be more comfortable because your ear has more room in the back, but they'll sound more distant and laid back (and a bit muffled). If you have them further back on your head, the comfort isn't quite as good (still very good) since the driver is right next to/touching your ear, but the mids will really jump and overall sound improves quite significantly. I've seen a couple negative reviews/comments about the MA900's midrange not being all that good, which I find shocking, because I personally think it's comparable to the HE-500's mids. They must have had the headphones sitting way too far forward on their head.

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #698 of 772
Quote:

One of my biggest gripes is the build quality. It feels very cheap.

If you left the MA800 on your picnic table on a breezy day, they would blow away up into the sky a la the dog & co. on the Wizard Of Oz.

Quote:

The MA900 is actually quite bass light, as is the HD600.

Compared to bass-heavy headphones, yes.

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #699 of 772
I agree that the build quality feels cheap, but it's actually come to be one of my favorite parts of this headphone. They are so light, and the entire design is just the minimal amount of materials to hang the drivers next to your ears. They just disappear on your head after a while, which combined with the great soundstage provides a wonderful experience.

I don't find these cans to be bass light at all. Although they certainly have less bass than my D2000, they have great impact with no boominess. In terms of measurements, the bass is slightly boosted above flat (http://en.goldenears.net/14492), but I actually think this is necessary for headphones as opposed to speakers to give a natural presentation. The bass quality is great for me; I tried the mad dogs with alpha pads and the bass was too tight and lacking in quantity, to the point that a bass drum didn't sound the size of a bass drum. The sony's lost slightly on bass texture, but in overall naturalness of the bass, they certainly won.

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #700 of 772
Quote:
I agree that the build quality feels cheap, but it's actually come to be one of my favorite parts of this headphone. They are so light, and the entire design is just the minimal amount of materials to hang the drivers next to your ears. They just disappear on your head after a while, which combined with the great soundstage provides a wonderful experience.

I don't find these cans to be bass light at all. Although they certainly have less bass than my D2000, they have great impact with no boominess. In terms of measurements, the bass is slightly boosted above flat (http://en.goldenears.net/14492), but I actually think this is necessary for headphones as opposed to speakers to give a natural presentation. The bass quality is great for me; I tried the mad dogs with alpha pads and the bass was too tight and lacking in quantity, to the point that a bass drum didn't sound the size of a bass drum. The sony's lost slightly on bass texture, but in overall naturalness of the bass, they certainly won.

There are several impressive statements about these headphones in this and previous posts, especially considering their price point.  I am scratching my head as to why these have not received the attention enjoyed by the MDR-1R.

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #701 of 772
Quote:
There are several impressive statements about these headphones in this and previous posts, especially considering their price point.  I am scratching my head as to why these have not received the attention enjoyed by the MDR-1R.

The MDR-1R looks fancy and classic Sony. The MA900 look like giant earmuffs. Aesthetics aside I think they are both decent efforts but both have build quality issues. (The MDR-1R I think moreso because it has an actual common fault).

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #702 of 772
Quote:
I am scratching my head as to why these have not received the attention enjoyed by the MDR-1R.

Same. I really don't get it. Are purchases so fueled by sponsors, FOTM hype, and price that gems like this go extinct? Shame.

Quote:

Very true. If it were built like a tank, it wouldn't be quite as comfy. So I guess they did alright on the design.

For awhile, I actually thought they had fantastic bass with great weight and substance behind them. For some reason over the past few days, they've seemed a bit more bass light than usual. I've found running them off my iAudio 9 for instance, they're quite a bit less bassy than with my E10. They sound more balanced on the E10. Generally speaking, I'd say they've got a very nice amount that would satisfy a pretty broad amount of people. It's got a nice tactility to it as well, perhaps aided by the 70mm drivers.

Quote:

If you left the MA800 on your picnic table on a breezy day, they would blow away up into the sky a la the dog & co. on the Wizard Of Oz.

Compared to bass-heavy headphones, yes.

Haha, exactly. Actually, a breeze would probably just disintegrate them, and then they'd float away towards the heavens...
biggrin.gif

Yes. I was having issues with getting a proper bass amount for some reason the past few days. Perhaps my EQ was on the wrong preset.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #703 of 772
All of the things im reading about these sound phenomenal.

I watched hiFiGuys review on youtube and he was talking about how full and great the bass is on them, to the point of being the best he has heard in an open headphone.
Im so close to ordering them, but there are so many other options...

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #704 of 772
Quote:

I watched hiFiGuys review on youtube and he was talking about how full and great the bass is on them, to the point of being the best he has heard in an open headphone.
Im so close to ordering them, but there are so many other options...

As much as the MA900 is great, it's almost certainly untrue that the MA900 has more bass than say the HD650. (What he claimed).  Available measurements of the MA900 do not support this view.

Sonove's measurements of the MA900 vs HD650: http://sonove.angry.jp/sony_MDR_MA900.html

Goldenears MA900 vs HD650

No one else has ever claimed the MA900 has significantly more or better bass than other open headphones, just that it improves over Sony's own lineup of the MDR-F1 or SA5000.

Again, I love the MA900 but you may be setting yourself up for disappointment if you base your opinion on that video. They have a lot of full upper bass but sub-bass response is still rolled off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back