Sony MDR-EX800st and MDR-7550 vs. MDR-EX1000?
Jul 11, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #37 of 57
mdr-EX800st vs EX1000?

I haven't heard the EX1000 but based on others' reviews and impressions, they are more similar than different and EX800 or 7550 would be the better value. Also, EX1000 supposedly has a peaky treble that can be bothersome and it's source dependent.

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #38 of 57
I haven't heard the EX1000 but based on others' reviews and impressions, they are more similar than different and EX800 or 7550 would be the better value. Also, EX1000 supposedly has a peaky treble that can be bothersome and it's source dependent.

Exactly what I got out of the countless reviews online. Its interesting with the 7550 /EX800st being $220 vs EX1000 being $400. My source is only high res flac or SACD's out of a CHord mojo or Onkyo granbeat, so I have summit fi sources. The question is will EQ effectively tame the treble spike? Seems like most people do not have a high end source or DAP.

This is probably the best review i have seen:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #39 of 57
I've always wanted to try the EX1000 but I can't justify taking the dive since I own the 7550. A few of my trusted reviewers actually prefer it to the 1000. The EX1000 also suffers from some severe paint chipping. I don't know about you but that would drive me nuts haha.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #40 of 57
the 800 is lovely tonally and for its price second hand ( barely over 100usd) it's just a crazy steal.

The 1000 is on another level technically, and is much luckier with songs. However, with the right source and songs, it sounds quite magical, something the 800 doesn't quite achieve. The 800 is great, but you just don't get that sense that it's blowing you away the way a flagship would despite all it does incredibly well.

On the ex1000, while it's not on the level of the latest flagships, when you hear it playing right, you'll understand why it was the flagship.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #41 of 57
the peak is obvious than the HD800, and with well recorded modern tracks, i sometimes prefer the ex1000 over my andromeda and fitear TG334., when it comes to how linear and well textured its bass is. if the peak is bothering you, using comply TS-200 and opting for deeper than usual insertion helps.

they work well enough from my mojo but they shine when driven by my desktop teac headphone amp and R2R dac. Clean linear power will flesh out its slightly cool tone.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #42 of 57
mdr-EX800st vs EX1000?

Good to see this topic gaining some life... Amazon is torturing me a bit by keeping my EX1000 in "Preparing for Shipping" for days! After the MDR-Z5 fiasco I was expecting something easy.
They still say it will be here for the weekend, tho. Must be shipped by rocket then.

Anyway, I had the same doubt... EX800/7550/EX1000...

Exactly what I got out of the countless reviews online. Its interesting with the 7550 /EX800st being $220 vs EX1000 being $400. My source is only high res flac or SACD's out of a CHord mojo or Onkyo granbeat, so I have summit fi sources. The question is will EQ effectively tame the treble spike? Seems like most people do not have a high end source or DAP.

The impression I got was that the 800/7550 are the "safe bet" that will probably please more people. But I know I like treble and there is something iconic about the EX1000 that the other didn't seem to acquire (even if unfairly). The EX1000 will probably keep that aura.
If I hate it I guess I'll return or sell and try the alternative.

I thought about getting the 7550 or EX800 to compare and return, but I'm not a big fan of ordering multiple items knowing I'll return one. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, just not my thing unless I can avoid it.

I've always wanted to try the EX1000 but I can't justify taking the dive since I own the 7550. A few of my trusted reviewers actually prefer it to the 1000. The EX1000 also suffers from some severe paint chipping. I don't know about you but that would drive me nuts haha.

I read about the chipping, which is weird, considering supposed build quality. Not a deal breaker, but certainly dissapointing if it happens that easily.

the 800 is lovely tonally and for its price second hand ( barely over 100usd) it's just a crazy steal.
The 1000 is on another level technically, and is much luckier with songs. However, with the right source and songs, it sounds quite magical, something the 800 doesn't quite achieve. The 800 is great, but you just don't get that sense that it's blowing you away the way a flagship would despite all it does incredibly well. On the ex1000, while it's not on the level of the latest flagships, when you hear it playing right, you'll understand why it was the flagship.

This matches the impression I got after reading tons of reviews and comments. The 800 is really good and perhaps a choice with better value for money, but the EX1000 has something unique about it that makes it worth it, even if treble is grainy sometimes. No idea what my ears will process tho. Maybe I'll hate it, maybe not.

the peak is obvious than the HD800, and with well recorded modern tracks, i sometimes prefer the ex1000 over my andromeda and fitear TG334., when it comes to how linear and well textured its bass is. if the peak is bothering you, using comply TS-200 and opting for deeper than usual insertion helps.

Saying one prefers X to the Andromeda is already impressive, no matter which model is X. :D

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #44 of 57
I own both the EX1000 and EX800ST, and I have to agree the 1000 is technically better in every way. Is it the driver or the slightly hotter treble region? I don't know, but the imaging and detail is a step up from the 800.

I also own the Andromedas. If I could get an IEM with the EX1000's bass and mid range, coupled with the Andromeda's treble for a reasonable price. I would be in heaven.

The EX1000/800 do need power to truly shine, where as the Andromedas don't.

EDIT: +1 on the Comply tips. I use the round Tsx-200 with wax guard

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #45 of 57
One of the only flaws of the EX1000 was IMO it lacked the requisite aggression for metal. So when I was going back and forth recently on whether to get the 1000 or the 7550/800ST, I hoped that the latter's more forward mids would help in that department, and they absolutely do.

So maybe the 7550 doesn't ever sound as magical as the 1000 can occasionally sound, but it's more consistent while also nipping at the heels of its big brother in those aforementioned magical tracks.

So yeah, I love them. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back