Sony MDR-EX700LP
Apr 15, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #16 of 149
Burn In Update: 50+ hours

The Upside:
The main initial noticeable flaw with these phones was the sibilance. I'm happy to announce that this has subsided and is no longer present. Mids are lush and utterly delicious. Bass has seemingly decreased in amount but is there when it needs to be. I would describe the bass as very accurate and controlled. This is probably due to the fact that I removed the foam dampening material in the tubes, which I later replaced with cotten. This had the result of slightly decreasing bass while bringing the mids slightly more forward. I might experiment with this more at some point. Detail and resolution are both excellent, I'm hearing nuances in music that I hadn't noticed with my E500s. Left/right separation has gotten a little better and soundstage has improved as well, location of sounds has become more apparent.

The Downside:
No real flaws with the sound to be mentioned IMHO. However, fit has been somewhat finicky for me, it takes a little adjustment before a good seal is found. As with all IEMs you know you've got it when the bass becomes more apparent. Isolation is also not as good as the E500s (I was using the triple flanged tips which I cut and made into biflange). In hopes of remedying these issues I have ordered some Comply tips. The cord is definitely an annoying issue for me. The J-shaped design is just plain stupid IMHO and the thinness of the cord itself allows it to easily tangle.

P.S.
Does anyone know who I could contact about getting these recabled?

-sid

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #17 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn In Update: 50+ hours

P.S.

-sid

Try apuresound recable: _http://apuresound.com

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S.

sarcasm
wow is the cable already going to hell?
rolleyes.gif

/sarcasm

sorry I just have a real problem with the cables that sony and shure use for the IEMs, they are utter crap. 3-6 months and they start to fall apart/crack/peel.

Apr 15, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #19 of 149
I have one. IMHO I think the sound quality is the same with Shure SE530 with different flavor. I don't prefer one over the other.

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #21 of 149
"More drivers" does not mean good sound.
PK1 is an example that has one magnet driver and has good sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by miranon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. That's why i can't believe it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder how a 3-driver armature can sound worse than a neodymium magnet (1 driver?)

Anyway i would buy this Sony but the price here in Europe is ridiculous high (300 euro or about 480$). How much did you pay for them?

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #22 of 149
MCastle,

I think you may might have a misunderstanding of the way the cable is setup which is probably due to my poor explanation. The phones are setup so that the cable going to the left bud is much shorter than the cable going to the right bud. There is no type of extension on the cable as it is all one piece. I've seen this described in other threads as a "J-Cable", I'm not sure what you call it but it's not a good design IMHO. Hope this helps!

-sid

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #23 of 149
Sid,
You were clear about the J-cable (I actually don't mind them at all). I was curious if the "LP" version of these phones has the extension cable. Search for the EX700SL and you'll see what I mean. Thanks for the reply!

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #24 of 149
MCastle,

The LP version has no extension on it, it's all one single piece from buds to 1/8". I see what you mean about the SLs, looked them up on the Sony website.

-sid

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #25 of 149
Unfortunately Apuresound said they wouldn't recable these. Anyone know of another company that might give it a shot for me?

-sid

May 2, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #26 of 149
Bringing this thread back to life...

...I have the EX700s coming today, and last week bought the Triple Fi 10, and also have the Shure E500s...

...Would anyone be interested in a three way review?

(Even if so, can't guarantee when it would be - have a whole lot on at work at the moment, and have GTA IV sat waiting for me when I get home this evening, so this weekend is probably totally out
wink.gif
)

May 2, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #27 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...I have the EX700s coming today, and last week bought the Triple Fi 10, and also have the Shure E500s...

...Would anyone be interested in a three way review?

(Even if so, can't guarantee when it would be - have a whole lot on at work at the moment, and have GTA IV sat waiting for me when I get home this evening, so this weekend is probably totally out
wink.gif
)

Yes please, it'd be great reading your thoughts on those three IEMs

Rgrds

May 2, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #28 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd be interested in hearing at least which one you like the most and why if not a full three-way comparison.

May 2, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #29 of 149
ohh I'd really absolutely love a review between Triple.fi, SE530 and EX700!!!!!

If you could do that I'd really appreciate it. I'm in the middel of deciding between some IEM's and now the EX700 have added to the list of trips and SE530's. So I'm yet more confused now!!

It would help me a lot if somebody could do a review btween the three!!

Thx alot!!

greetz

May 2, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #30 of 149
All sounds good, I'll see what I can do
smily_headphones1.gif

...What I can say from the off is that these are probably (if not definitely) the best sounding dynamic earphones I have heard (albeit I haven't heard the Yuin PK1, so that would be an interesting comparison in itself!)

I'm a bit bemused that they let some sound out though with the little vent on the outside... Not earphones to really rock out with whilst on the bus... Isolation on the other hand is pretty good...

A real mixed bag, and far too early for me to do a comparison between the three, but - I'll be using these on the way home to familiarise myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back