Sony MDR-EX600 vs Vsonic GR07
Sep 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #46 of 58

Quote:
Cheers.
As for me I think I'll pull the trigger on the gr-07 as the price on amazon went up again for the ex600 at 150 instead of 130 so I think 30dlls for the fit is worth. Btw wasn't the gr07 at 150-160 cuz on eBay are at 180. Any recommendation from who to buy?
Also do you guys think the e6 will make a difference on the bass area, as I state before I really like triphop, and want the best balance bass/voice. Or the phones are good by themselves?

Thank you all for the feedback

I bought mine from the ebay seller www.earphone and had them over in 7 days. It barely spent 12 hours in customs. About the source... they run great from my iphone 4, but I'm seriously considering an amp to see if there's any potential I haven't unlocked yet

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #47 of 58
I just found this thread and happy I did so.  I just ordered a set of EX600's after finding them for $125 shipped new from an authorized dealer.  I have a few sets of IEM's (RE0, DBA-02, S4, HF5) and right now I am enjoying the HF5's a lot but I still miss the punchyness of the DBA's which failed early in their life.  I have been looking at the GR07's for a long time but when I found the 600's for the price I did I could not say no.  I should have them later on today and I will put them on my sound generator for the weekend and see how they sound.  I am looking forward to checking them out.

Cheers,
Jim 

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #48 of 58

Quote:
I just found this thread and happy I did so.  I just ordered a set of EX600's after finding them for $125 shipped new from an authorized dealer.  I have a few sets of IEM's (RE0, DBA-02, S4, HF5) and right now I am enjoying the HF5's a lot but I still miss the punchyness of the DBA's which failed early in their life.  I have been looking at the GR07's for a long time but when I found the 600's for the price I did I could not say no.  I should have them later on today and I will put them on my sound generator for the weekend and see how they sound.  I am looking forward to checking them out.

Cheers,
Jim 

Yeah the EX600's are a steal at $125.

Let us know your first impressions.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #49 of 58
So I received the EX600's on Friday and and have close to 20 hours of burn in on them and I think I may be returning them.  There is nothing wrong with them but then again I am not hearing anything special out of them, last night I did a lot of A/B comparing with the HF5's and boy do they sound close to each other, I am going to say the 600's are a hair warmer and a tiny bit more "thump" but then in some tracks it seems like the HF5's have equal thump....really hard to say there.  The HF5's have a bit more detail in the mids/upper mids, there was one track I was listening to last night and there was a very subtle instrument ( not sure what you call it) but it was clear as day on the HF5's but hard to detect with the EX600's.  I am kind of bummed as I was really hoping that the EX600's were going to be one step above the HF5's but unless some more burn in will make pretty drastic changes it just does not make sense for me to keep them.  

With all that being said I do have to say I think the HF5's are really under rated....for $100 they are hard to beat.

Let me know if you guys think I still have good things coming from the EX600's with more burn in?  I have two weeks to send them back so time is on my side right now.

Cheers,
Jim 

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #50 of 58

I haven't heard the HF5's but apparently the ER-4S are better which I can believe, so maybe the ER-4S is what you should be looking at? However I found the bass a bit weak, and I'm not very fussed with bass usually.

I think you should keep listening to the EX600's for a few more days, I haven't burnt mine in but my understanding is people usually do so that find them too shiny focused in the highs.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #51 of 58
"Nothing wrong with them, but nothing special", that's strange, I find the EX600's pretty special, you should be noticing a huge soundstage difference compared to your RE0, day and night.

The GR07's are more in line with "nothing wrong and nothing special" type of sound, if you want "special" sound perhaps you don't like neutrality very much? Just a guess. :wink:

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #52 of 58

Quote:
"Nothing wrong with them, but nothing special", that's strange, I find the EX600's pretty special, you should be noticing a huge soundstage difference compared to your RE0, day and night.

The GR07's are more in line with "nothing wrong and nothing special" type of sound, if you want "special" sound perhaps you don't like neutrality very much? Just a guess. :wink:

I did forget to mention that I too find the sound stage superior to the HF5's but other than that they are very similar.

From what I have read the HF5 have a bit more bass then the ER-4X's and running them through the JDS Labs CMOY the bass is pretty equal between the 600's and the HF5's but neither has the punch of the DBA's.

I will keep burning and listening to them for another week to see what changes I hear....I really want to get blown away by these but so far they are not doing it.

Cheers,
Jim

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #53 of 58

The EX600's respond really well to any type of 3D enhancement, and pretty well to equalizing, so if you have a DAP that has any type of 3D setting, use it.

I know using an equalizer and special enhancements is an outright Hi-Fi sin, but I make an exception in this case.

JM2C. :wink:

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:
I will keep burning and listening to them for another week to see what changes I hear....I really want to get blown away by these but so far they are not doing it.

I predict it won't be long until someone steps in to recommend the ZO.
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #56 of 58
the ex600 has a much better soundstange than the GR07? I've been eyeing both, currently own MTPG's which soundstage is strangely more vertical than horizontal... been looking to upgrade/sidegrade. Although I also do feel I've been spoiled by the bass out of them, I don't want either the ex600 or gr07 to be a downgrade in the lower frequencies (quality, not so much quantity)

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #57 of 58

Quote:
the ex600 has a much better soundstange than the GR07? I've been eyeing both, currently own MTPG's which soundstage is strangely more vertical than horizontal... been looking to upgrade/sidegrade. Although I also do feel I've been spoiled by the bass out of them, I don't want either the ex600 or gr07 to be a downgrade in the lower frequencies (quality, not so much quantity)

From what I could tell of my very limited listening of the Vsonic... the EX600 has a more hyperbolic soundstage, slightly higher quality bass, and more peaks in the upper frequencies.

They are both pretty neutral, but the Vsonic seems more neutral, actually sounding very similiar to the RE252.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #58 of 58

From what I could tell of my very limited listening of the Vsonic... the EX600 has a more hyperbolic soundstage, slightly higher quality bass, and more peaks in the upper frequencies.

They are both pretty neutral, but the Vsonic seems more neutral, actually sounding very similiar to the RE252.

The EX600 has a wider and deeper soundstage. The EX600 does have less bass quantity if that's what you meant, but the quality is probably a bit better than the GR07's as it's faster and maintains good depth. The EX600 is more peaky in the treble, the GR07 at least softens itself in the treble to avoid sounding offensive, but the EX600 doesn't hold back and has a bigger lower treble spike. The Vsonics are probably more neutral, but it's a close call. I hope Tyll gets to review the GR07 oneday to see it's frequency response. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back