SONY MDR CD3000 Totally Amazing!
Aug 21, 2010 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Canuck57

500+ Head-Fier

I recently purchased CD3000s from another Headfier, they've been recabled with Black Dragon wire, balanced to a 4-pin XLR, and they're in fantastic shape.

I'm using them as follows:

FLAC ---> Little Dot DAC_1 (balanced out) --->Little Dot MK VII ---> CD3000

The comments below are relative to the above setup and would vary with other equipment. I haven't bothered to listen to them single-ended yet with any of my other equipment.

I'm sensitive to bright headphones and I was worried that they would be too bright based on what I've read, however, although the treble is emphasized I don't find them harsh at all (as long as it's a decent recording). The treble is smooth and well extended with tons of detail.

The bass is amazing! Fast with SLAM and extends deep & low! The best I've heard to date!

These headphones really excel at sound stage as well, it's wide & deep!

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 11
They are great cans and I wish I had not sold mine.

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 11
Show us some pics
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 11
I'd love to hear the CD3K in a good balanced rig.

Aug 24, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:

I recently purchased CD3000s from another Headfier, they've been recabled with Black Dragon wire, balanced to a 4-pin XLR, and they're in fantastic shape.

I'm using them as follows:

FLAC ---> Little Dot DAC_1 (balanced out) --->Little Dot MK VII ---> CD3000

The comments below are relative to the above setup and would vary with other equipment. I haven't bothered to listen to them single-ended yet with any of my other equipment.

I'm sensitive to bright headphones and I was worried that they would be too bright based on what I've read, however, although the treble is emphasized I don't find them harsh at all (as long as it's a decent recording). The treble is smooth and well extended with tons of detail.

The bass is amazing! Fast with SLAM and extends deep & low! The best I've heard to date!

These headphones really excel at sound stage as well, it's wide & deep!

Welcome to the wonderful world of the CD3000.
I run mine from the same rig as you,a real giant killer.

Aug 24, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of the CD3000.
I run mine from the same rig as you,a real giant killer.

Cool! So you know how amazing the sound is! It's too bad Sony stopped making these great headphones ....

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

Cool! So you know how amazing the sound is! It's too bad Sony stopped making these great headphones ....

Yes I know,I have one pair for sale but am getting cold feet about it,might have to keep them both after all.

I see you have the MK VII,a fantastic amp more so when matched with the DAC 1,a real shame they ceased production on them,I run some K1000's from mine as well as well,and that is on the low gain.

The great thing about these phones is they make any music sound Good,they have a style all of there own,one of the great phones despite its rather shaky build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back