sony MDR-CD1700 velour ear-pad replacement
Feb 5, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 35
Apr 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #17 of 35
Did it work for you with the foam of the pleather-pads Tiemen? I got the same problem, I scored some CD1700 some months ago and their pads are also very flat. Or is it normal that your ears touch the HP?

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:
Did it work for you with the foam of the pleather-pads Tiemen? I got the same problem, I scored some CD1700 some months ago and their pads are also very flat. Or is it normal that your ears touch the HP?

Hi Bjarne,

I cancelled the pleather ear pads.
Another Headfi-er sold me original CD3000 ear pad foam.
That has been sewn above the original foam into the ear pads.
Now they are firm again.
Before that, the drivers were touching my ears as well.

I think that's the best way to handle this problem. Score some foam and someone with sewing skills.
I brought my ear pads to a professional tailor. Cost money, but it was worth it.

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi!

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #19 of 35
Thank you for the warm welcome! :)

Sounds very reasonable with the foam! People with sewing skills I got. So I need foam. Do you think the Headfi-er got one for me too?

Do your CD1700 get much playtime due to your nice HP-line up? :)

On which of your amps they sound best? I found out that they didn't like the 30 Ohm of my Amp very much.

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #21 of 35
CD3K pads are made of pleather not leather, they are very comfortable and fit the CD1700, but they are no longer available, I got the last two pais from Audiocubes a few years back, 50.00 a set...they last very long time, not as someone mentioned here that they flake in million pieces, that is not true, I owned them for long years, two pairs, and never flaked, any of them.... 

Apr 22, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #22 of 35

Yea, looking to try and replace my aging CD1700 earpads with those cheap pleather CD3k on ebay for now.

much tighter bass! the cd1700 earpads are way too leaky IME.

they last very long time, not as someone mentioned here that they flake in million pieces, that is not true

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq346/zephyrusrain/Photo12.jpg
regular_smile%20.gif

Apr 22, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
Thank you for the warm welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds very reasonable with the foam! People with sewing skills I got. So I need foam. Do you think the Headfi-er got one for me too?

Do your CD1700 get much playtime due to your nice HP-line up?
smily_headphones1.gif

On which of your amps they sound best? I found out that they didn't like the 30 Ohm of my Amp very much.

Because of the good comfort, I use them quite a lot. As long as the recordings are good as well.
With too bright and/ or too digital sounding recordings, I reach for headphones with a fuller and warmer sound.
And of course when more isolation is needed, the weak spot of the CD1700.

They really hate my tube amp, so the desktop Cmoy gives the best result.

I don't think that headfi-er has more CD3000 foam. If he has, I'm sure he will contact you, because he has responded to this thread.

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #24 of 35
@ warubozu: Where did you get your fake-CD3K-pads? I've mailed every ebay-seller and they all told me they were discontinued by their manufacturer.

@ leeperry: Sounds great! Do you know where I can still get some of those? Got my CD1700 2 months ago and I'm still in love with them and new pads would be great! :)

@ Tiemen: Understandable! I love their comfort too. Is your plastic also so squeaky? Could I do anything to fix this?

Yeah it hates my hybrid too, till i switched the output resistor. I will do some experiments on the weekend with different Z-out and get back to you with the results. I think they would generally synergize very well with tube-amps.

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #25 of 35

Quote:
@ Tiemen: Understandable! I love their comfort too. Is your plastic also so squeaky? Could I do anything to fix this?

I've heard that complaint before, but I really have no clue what is meant by 'squeaky plastic'.
Even not after looking up the word squeaky in a dictionary. Can you explain?

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #27 of 35

I've heard that complaint before, but I really have no clue what is meant by 'squeaky plastic'.

I'll try! :) Because of the strictly plastic construction the suspension of the cups makes noises when you move them. The only example that comes to my mind which is similar is a completely plastic build cheap mobile when you flex it.
The plastic doesn't get younger and tighten the screws won't help long, so I thought of applying some resin or lubrication on the moving parts of the suspension.

@ leeperry: I can understand that! But to me they sound way to good to let them go. Especially since I don't have some CD1k or CD3k lying around. :wink: BTW: Do you still got yours? Couldn't find them on your profile.

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #28 of 35
I got rid of my cd1k when it started becoming squeaky...it took a while, though. And anyway, the ortho T50RP outshines all those vintage SONY phones IME.

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #29 of 35

Quote:
Quote:

I'll try!
smily_headphones1.gif
Because of the strictly plastic construction the suspension of the cups makes noises when you move them. The only example that comes to my mind which is similar is a completely plastic build cheap mobile when you flex it.
The plastic doesn't get younger and tighten the screws won't help long, so I thought of applying some resin or lubrication on the moving parts of the suspension.

Ah, I understand. And really, I don't have that problem at all.
Maybe because I have a big head. They sit rather tight, so there's nothing to squeak.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #30 of 35

Quote:
@ warubozu: Where did you get your fake-CD3K-pads? I've mailed every ebay-seller and they all told me they were discontinued by their manufacturer.

@ leeperry: Sounds great! Do you know where I can still get some of those? Got my CD1700 2 months ago and I'm still in love with them and new pads would be great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah it hates my hybrid too, till i switched the output resistor. I will do some experiments on the weekend with different Z-out and get back to you with the results. I think they would generally synergize very well with tube-amps.

Hmmm, you're right can't seem to find anyone currently selling those cheap CD3k earpads on ebay.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back