sony MDR-CD1700 velour ear-pad replacement
Mar 1, 2010 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

chrisdescor

New Head-Fier
Hello
Last year I bought a pair of Sony MDR-CD1700 headphones from ebay.
they are very very nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Though I have one problem.
the lush, plush velvet velour ear-pads are probably over 10-12 years old.
they must have been originally black, or silver, but are now a dried-out faded grey, plus they look like they've collected other peoples' sweat and dead-flake-skin, as well as dust, for all those years.
so it feels a bit unhygienic to wear.

I dont have the original manual to find out the model number, as I'm trying to contact sony.services for a replacement, but of course, they cant help unless I have the exact model number., which wasnt 'MDR-CD1700' oddly.
even then, I doubt Sony have replacement velour ear-pads for 12 year old headphones.

does anyone have these headphones, along with its original manual? or any manual for it? - so that I can send sony the model number and might get some luck.

I really would like to get new velour ear-pad replacements. not leather.
I;ve been looking at Beyer velour ear-pads for the 770/880/990 etc, but I'm worried they will not fit properly, as the sony's look specific.
perhaps the mdr-cd3000 are the same shape?

anyone have any suggestions?

cheers

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdescor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello
Last year I bought a pair of Sony MDR-CD1700 headphones from ebay.
they are very very nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Though I have one problem.
the lush, plush velvet velour ear-pads are probably over 10-12 years old.
they must have been originally black, or silver, but are now a dried-out faded grey, plus they look like they've collected other peoples' sweat and dead-flake-skin, as well as dust, for all those years.
so it feels a bit unhygienic to wear.

I dont have the original manual to find out the model number, as I'm trying to contact sony.services for a replacement, but of course, they cant help unless I have the exact model number., which wasnt 'MDR-CD1700' oddly.
even then, I doubt Sony have replacement velour ear-pads for 12 year old headphones.

does anyone have these headphones, along with its original manual? or any manual for it? - so that I can send sony the model number and might get some luck.

I really would like to get new velour ear-pad replacements. not leather.
I;ve been looking at Beyer velour ear-pads for the 770/880/990 etc, but I'm worried they will not fit properly, as the sony's look specific.
perhaps the mdr-cd3000 are the same shape?

anyone have any suggestions?

cheers

To give you an idea the CD3000 pads are approx 4.5" in Dia.

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 35
Leeperry, the link you provided is great, but the ear pads are not available anymore on that site.
And they were outragious expensive.

Chrisdescor, can't you pull the ear pads off, and wash them?

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 35
But are those fake CD3000 pads as comfortable as the CD1700 stock pads?
Looks like cheap pleather.

Quote:
the pirate cd3k earpads off ebay fit just fine, and they do tighten up the cd1700 bass a great deal.

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 35
Ok, the pads do leak, but the bass was tight and punchy on my CD1700. Not bloated at all.
The highs were too shrill, and the mids not weighty enough. That's what I disliked. Not their bass.

Quote:

Yeah, very uncomfy and too stiff...but the stock cd1700 earpads are too leaky, bass is bloated as hell.

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #10 of 35
Velours and pleather definitely give a different feel to bass IME...the former is flabby, and the latter much tighter. Remember the beyer's :wink:

The genuine cd3k earpads are much softer and far more comfortable, but they're not available anymore...and they flake into zillions fragments after a little while anyway.

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 35
Got my CD1700 back
smile.gif

First thing I did, was wash the ear pads.
Then I removed the foam inside the pads, which was very flat after many years of heavy use.
I replace it with the foam from Beyer Aviation leather pads, that was lying around since I destroyed the leather.
Good to have a wife who can handle a needle.

This was what this headphone needed.
I take back all the negatives I wrote about the CD1700.
I guess the pads got rather stiff, saturated with sweat and other moist. Therefore the sound became sharper. Which leather pads will achieve as well, so I can't imagine leather pads will do any good to them.
Now the sweet mids are back, no harsh highs, and lovely bass.
But they need good records, and a good source as well to shine.
And rockers, they'll never be.

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 35
what I found annoying as hell on the cd1700(and also on the cd1k) was all the squeaky plasticky noises when moving my head. vintage phones are nice, but try a T50RP whenever you get the chance :wink:

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 35
Found  a reasonable price for the earpads, but for USA only:
https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/viewItemDetail.do?operation=getItemDetail&itemID=109758&searchOperation=modelSearch&searchText=mdrcd%201700

Users who are viewing this thread

Back