Sony MDR-7520
Dec 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #406 of 2,535
So I got my emotiva back yesterday and plugged the 7520 into it...really good pairing despite the hiss. I appreciate them a lot more now... but I still want more soundstage though they did open up and smooth out a bit. 

I now realize the extremes of the descriptions I had from them were partly from my gear.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #408 of 2,535

It is. It's a tremendous tool for mixing and editing. Also, a mix done on the 7520 translates well to speakers. Better than many other headphones. It gets the low end right, which is so difficult.

And I still don't find it fatuiging when I listen to it. It's detailed and analytical, but it can also fall back into the background for casual listening. At least, that's been my experience so far. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #409 of 2,535
  No creaking for me either, however this problem you're having is not new. Many owners of the Z1000 complained of this. You should check those threads because I remember someone taking the Z1000 apart in order to try to solve the issue.

That occasional squeaking in the right cup started getting on my nerves.
I've found the thread you mentioned -  Sony MDR-Z1000 Squeaking Noise Problem - Head-Fi
and applied some silicone spray to these "plastic boxes",  so far so good, the squeak is gone. The problem is plastic to plastic contact that makes that noise when swiveling cups. I'll see how it goes and if the problem returns, try some graphite instead.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #410 of 2,535
Wow, you should try this album on 7520, youtube quality is not the greatest though, get the original from hdtracks

Woah that's spooky big sound!
:)

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #411 of 2,535
I wonder if Sony somehow is trying to get these back into the European market. I'm thinking of the missed sales here.

I wonder too, what is the limit in attainable maximum sound pressure level in these so called European regulations... 140dB? And was it actually this spec alone that made them not comply with the regulations?

Or are they too sensitive to drive for most amps without resulting in too much hiss and noise? Noise that is picked up by the amp (from the environment/surrounding electronics) and fed to the sensitive Sony's. Noise that you don't hear on other headphones, because they are simply not sensitive enough.

I find the story weird. Why would a big company like Sony, who has been in the market for many years, suddenly make a TOP model that won't pass some European regulations? They didn't know? They didn't care?

Is there anyone here who could ask Sony for a comment, first hand?

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #412 of 2,535
I read that there is a push here in USA to force Apple to limit the SPL of their standard ear buds can give out. If a manufacture does not meet European regulations or Directive it will not get the CE mark needed for sale in Europe. There may be other reasons.  I would be surprise if Sony will comment on their business decision. Nothing to do with being too sensitive otherwise ITE's may have the same issue.

P.S. I do know for a fact that Beyerdynamic have limiters available for some of their headphones to meet certain requirements for safety. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #413 of 2,535
StudioSound - I tried the same thing with pushing the cups together and there is a volume difference compared to how it sounds on your head.
I haven't been listening at unusually loud volumes, but this is an experiment that can be only be proven by another person in a quiet room with you, or by recording an open mic in the room while you listen.
I understand that the vents are bass ports, but anything that lets air in will let sound out. It's not a lot, but it is enough to be picked up by sensitive microphones or someone else's ears in a quiet space.
This isn't a downplay of how great these headphones sound, just some information that people should be aware of.
I still love these headphones & appreciate everyone's feedback.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #414 of 2,535
StudioSound - I tried the same thing with pushing the cups together and there is a volume difference compared to how it sounds on your head.
I haven't been listening at unusually loud volumes, but this is an experiment that can be only be proven by another person in a quiet room with you, or by recording an open mic in the room while you listen.
I understand that the vents are bass ports, but anything that lets air in will let sound out. It's not a lot, but it is enough to be picked up by sensitive microphones or someone else's ears in a quiet space.
This isn't a downplay of how great these headphones sound, just some information that people should be aware of.
I still love these headphones & appreciate everyone's feedback.

I think that with many headphones there is some sound leakage even without the ports. There can be leakage going out or hearing outside noises.  A lot depends on the quality of the seal the cups can make on the head. Even the amount,type of hair or glasses can make a difference. I would agree that the 7520 is not the most isolating headphones ever made and I do not think that is Sony primary goal.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #415 of 2,535
  I think that with many headphones there is some sound leakage even without the ports. There can be leakage going out or hearing outside noises.  A lot depends on the quality of the seal the cups can make on the head. Even the amount,type of hair or glasses can make a difference. I would agree that the 7520 is not the most isolating headphones ever made and I do not think that is Sony primary goal.

The only "phones" that provide full isolation that I've tried are Ety-ER4S (but they are IEMs :)), everything else leaks out a little, and 7520 in this regard is actually better than average. BTW, Etys should be good for your purposes as they are quite neutral and very detailed.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #416 of 2,535
I really like the 7520 but the more I spend time with them I am finding myself picking up the Yamaha mt220 instead. Though the 7520 is slightly more detailed, the sound stage is more of an in your head experience by comparison. 

They are a great headphone but I am liking the mt220 more now because of its more punchy/snappy sound and its soundstage. Also the details aren't far off. For someone who doesn't care about soundstage and wants a balanced headphone with details and strong bass then they can't get too much better than the 7520 for in its price tier.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #417 of 2,535
So I received the Shure 1840 replacement pads today and tried them on the 7520 (I've been using the Shure 840 pads for weeks now and I think they work really well with the 7520). Well, the 1840 take away a lot of the low-end response. The bass sounds very rolled off. I guess the pads absorb too much of the low frequencies. There is barely any sub-bass to be heard/felt. So I guess the 840 pads are the way to go. They are much more comfortable than the stock 7520 pads, since they add depth which prevents your ear from touching the driver, and they don't really alter the sound that much (but of course there is some difference, as every pad will make a headphone sound different).

One thing that the 1840 pads do seem to achieve is to somehow widen the soundstage a bit. It's a weird effect, but the soundstage just seems larger with the 1840 pads vs. the 840 pads.

But for those who think the 7520 has too much bass, you might want to try them with the 1840 pads.

Now I wonder how these would sound with the Mr Speakers Alpha pads
tongue_smile.gif
 Anybody here happen to have the Alpha Dogs AND the 7520 and is willing to try out the Alpha pads on the 7520? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #419 of 2,535
  So I received the Shure 1840 replacement pads today and tried them on the 7520 (I've been using the Shure 840 pads for weeks now and I think they work really well with the 7520). Well, the 1840 take away a lot of the low-end response. The bass sounds very rolled off. I guess the pads absorb too much of the low frequencies. There is barely any sub-bass to be heard/felt. So I guess the 840 pads are the way to go. They are much more comfortable than the stock 7520 pads, since they add depth which prevents your ear from touching the driver, and they don't really alter the sound that much (but of course there is some difference, as every pad will make a headphone sound different).

One thing that the 1840 pads do seem to achieve is to somehow widen the soundstage a bit. It's a weird effect, but the soundstage just seems larger with the 1840 pads vs. the 840 pads.

But for those who think the 7520 has too much bass, you might want to try them with the 1840 pads.

Now I wonder how these would sound with the Mr Speakers Alpha pads
tongue_smile.gif
 Anybody here happen to have the Alpha Dogs AND the 7520 and is willing to try out the Alpha pads on the 7520? 
biggrin.gif

Okay, I take that back. I do hear and feel bass properly, but it's slightly less than with the 840 pads, it's more subtle now. Will listen a bit more :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back