Sony MDR-7520
Dec 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #421 of 2,535
  I really like the 7520 but the more I spend time with them I am finding myself picking up the Yamaha mt220 instead. Though the 7520 is slightly more detailed, the sound stage is more of an in your head experience by comparison. 

They are a great headphone but I am liking the mt220 more now because of its more punchy/snappy sound and its soundstage. Also the details aren't far off. For someone who doesn't care about soundstage and wants a balanced headphone with details and strong bass then they can't get too much better than the 7520 for in its price tier.

Really must disagree with you here...

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #422 of 2,535

what are you disagreeing about... the soundstage? when I say I am picking up the yamaha it is just by preference alone. I do believe the 7520 to be slightly better but I am not feeling the soundstage. It does feel in my head when I compare it to the ones I have here. 

but maybe this is the wrong thread to say it in.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #423 of 2,535

what are you disagreeing about... the soundstage? when I say I am picking up the yamaha it is just by preference alone. I do believe the 7520 to be slightly better but I am not feeling the soundstage. It does feel in my head when I compare it to the ones I have here. 

but maybe this is the wrong thread to say it in.

They are perfect.
You adjust. LOL 
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #425 of 2,535
Nah, I think both negative and positive comments should be welcome here. No need for this to be a fanboy thread. A discussion thread implies that the whole spectrum of opinions should be allowed.

Will give the 1840 pads a closer listen over the weekend. They do open up the soundstage a bit, but will give more feedback on the rest of the sound.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #426 of 2,535
So I think I like these 1840 pads on the 7520 with certain types of music. I mean, they're terrible for isolation, but I like the comfort of the velours, my ears don't really get hot wearing them.

And in terms of sound, it definitely opens up the soundstage and mellows out the bass significantly (a bit on the bass-light side perhaps), which I'm starting to like on some types of music. The bass would sometimes sound a bit boomy when using the 840 pads (not the 1840), but with the 1840 pads that's completely gone. And the sound is a bit drier, as apposed to being wet (on the 840 pads the sound is definitely on the wet side). So on acoustic music, it sounds quite nice actually. On electronic music it sounds a bit better with the 840 pads, as those emphasize the bass a bit more. But I like the dryness of the sound, meaning that most soundwaves get absorbed by the velours and don't end up bouncing around the pads a bit before entering your ears. This seems to improve instrument separation a bit.

Next up, I think I'm going to try the 940 pads, since those are velours as well, but designed for a closed headphone. So maybe they'll isolate a bit better, and might end up putting the bass response between the 1840 and 840 pads (hopefully, as I suspect that'll be my sweetspot for bass response).

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #429 of 2,535
I think all the Shure pads are of similar size, so they'll all more or less fit on the 7520. Just that the Shure pads are a bit more oval shaped than the 7520, which is a bit more rounded/rectangular shape. I also tried the pads of the Shure 1540 on the 7520, and those fit as well (sound was boomy though).

I'd say the original Sony pads are less boomy than the 840 pads, probably also because the driver sits right on your ear so there isn't really much room for waves to bounce around. With the 840 and 1840 pads the drivers sit slightly further away. The 1840 seems to increase the soundstage, but perhaps this is only an illusion due to the fact that they also don't isolate really well (they're made for an open headphone), which adds a bit of airiness to the sound. But acoustic music sounds quite good with those pads. For bass heavy music, you might find the 1840 pads a bit lacking.

Will post some pictures another time.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #430 of 2,535

Next up, I think I'm going to try the 940 pads

How can you be so confident that the 940 pads will fit the diameter of the 7520? Because they are the same as the 840?

Again, interesting to read your impressions on those pads. I wonder if you consider the original Sony pads the most bass boomy?

That's what people successfully used on MDR-ZX700, 99.9% these and 7520 are the same size/form factor

Replacement Earpads for Sony MDRZX700? - Head-Fi

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #431 of 2,535
  That's what people successfully used on MDR-ZX700, 99.9% these and 7520 are the same size/form factor

Yeah, I just wonder if the 940 and 1840 pads are any different at all. But I'll find out within a few weeks (it's backordered). But I'm really liking the 1840 pads though. It's only on bass-heavy music that I find them a bit lacking in the 'oomph' department (but then I just switch to the other pads).

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #432 of 2,535

Yeah, I just wonder if the 940 and 1840 pads are any different at all. But I'll find out within a few weeks (it's backordered). But I'm really liking the 1840 pads though. It's only on bass-heavy music that I find them a bit lacking in the 'oomph' department (but then I just switch to the other pads).

I just pulled a trigger for 940 pads as well, should get here in a couple of days with Amazon Premium. The hopes are high. 
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #435 of 2,535

Thanks! From reading that thread I'm not convinced that the 940 velour pads won't change the sound. Before I pull the trigger on these as well, I think I'll await you guys feedback :)

I'm 100% sure it will change the sound :) Just as the 840 pads and the 1840 pads change the sound. The question is, how much will it change the sound, and does it change it for better or for worse?

Quick summary so far: 840 pads add some slight boominess to the bass, 1840 pads reduce the bass a bit (in terms of quantity, not quality) and make the sound overall more 'dry'. And it could be my imagination, but the 1840 pads also seem to reduce the sibilance a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back