Sony MDR-7520
Dec 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #376 of 2,535
Finally a frequency response chart of the 7520! Thanks for the info. So this proves what I heard when I compared the Z1000 and 7520, 7520 has much more low-end than the Z1000, but otherwise the sound is fairly similar.

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #377 of 2,535
  Finally a frequency response chart of the 7520! Thanks for the info. So this proves what I heard when I compared the Z1000 and 7520, 7520 has much more low-end than the Z1000, but otherwise the sound is fairly similar.

Did you also notice Z1000 being brighter when you had both, as graph indicates?

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #379 of 2,535
  ^look at that sexy sub bass

No need, I can hear it. LOL 
L3000.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #380 of 2,535
lol yeah you are right... I ran some more bass tests on them vs others and it had the most detail easily down low.

It beat the jvc dx700 in bass detail as well. I wouldn't be trying to let it go If I didn't want the jvc so bad though.... Reason being is that I am turning into a soundstage head. When I heard the soundstage of the jvc I just wanted more.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #381 of 2,535
  ^look at that sexy sub bass

+1 Sexy

I had the Z1000 right before the 7520. Those graphs look about right. I did like the Z1000 too, it's just that the rolled of low-end + isolations and soundstaging was just terrible. It had insanely awesome timbre though, even better than the 7520 in that regard, and more treble detail. I always assumed that was because of the lack of base, but I guess these graphs actually show that it did have a iittle bit more upper-mid energy/treble energy.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #382 of 2,535
When I first received my 7520 I noticed how silky smooth it was in the treble especially with the new Mini-X amp I am using to drive the headphones. The graphs does not show any sharp peaks between 7K to 12K.  I need to see more graphs with headphones that I know are peaky in the treble. I can then correlate the graph results with other graphs that have been done in USA.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #383 of 2,535
  When I first received my 7520 I noticed how silky smooth it was in the treble especially with the new Mini-X amp I am using to drive the headphones. The graphs does not show any sharp peaks between 7K to 12K.  I need to see more graphs with headphones that I know are peaky in the treble. I can then correlate the graph results with other graphs that have been done in USA.

You're driving yours with the mini-X?
basshead.gif

LOL, I'm all about power, but that's a lot of headroom bro...
regular_smile .gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #384 of 2,535
The 7520 just thrives with the Mini-X. The 7520 is so smooth and has a very relaxed quality to the sound when paired with the Mini-X. The soundstage is just incredible with the Mini-X. Music recorded in a cathedral sounded the best I ever heard and the soundstage was so involving and real. Reminds me of some of the qualities that that I heard with the Woo WA5LE amp. The Mini-X at $169 is a bargain and I find it even more enjoyable than the Liquid Glass amp.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #385 of 2,535
  lol yeah you are right... I ran some more bass tests on them vs others and it had the most detail easily down low.

It beat the jvc dx700 in bass detail as well. I wouldn't be trying to let it go If I didn't want the jvc so bad though.... Reason being is that I am turning into a soundstage head. When I heard the soundstage of the jvc I just wanted more.

So interested in getting something with bigger soundstage as well, why DX700, they are not very well regarded here (sorry, wasn't lucky to audition one myself).
Have you thought of TH600, the fragile build is a big down but other than that they can be more well rounded phones. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #387 of 2,535
  Out of curiosity, these 'phones aren't exactly in the same market but—how do these stack up against the P7s', Momentums', PSB's, et al? 'Different' or better?

A solid step up from P7, Momentum, MDR-1R, K550 (these are owned or auditioned)

Oh, yeah, Mad Dog too. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #388 of 2,535
  The 7520 just thrives with the Mini-X. The 7520 is so smooth and has a very relaxed quality to the sound when paired with the Mini-X. The soundstage is just incredible with the Mini-X. Music recorded in a cathedral sounded the best I ever heard and the soundstage was so involving and real. Reminds me of some of the qualities that that I heard with the Woo WA5LE amp. The Mini-X at $169 is a bargain and I find it even more enjoyable than the Liquid Glass amp.

I hope my mini-x gets back before it is gone so i can try it with the sony's. I imagined that it would improve soundstage.
  So interested in getting something with bigger soundstage as well, why DX700, they are not very well regarded here (sorry, wasn't lucky to audition one myself).
Have you thought of TH600, the fragile build is a big down but other than that they can be more well rounded phones. 

I should probably  try the th600 out and compare it to the dx700. I am sure the th600 will win though.

People that have had them here liked the dx700. Its bigger brother has become a lot of peoples favorite headphone, all of them stating it's not the best technically. Im sure these sound similar but don't have a recessed midrange. What the dx700 does better than the 7520 is soundstage width and depth, less fatiquing, way better timbre, stronger sub bass, better instrument seperation. When I put the 7520 back on the music sounds tons less natural. The dx700 is no genre master like the 7520 and has its flaws but I listen to a lot of abstract hip hop and modern music and there is no headphone I have heard to date that do those genres better all while adding soundstage and giving me a truly immersive experience. They do suck at rock! though The bass can ruin songs at times... They also are wet in decay but details remain above par and the timbre is class act, with amazing instrument separation. Its great for the same music the lcd2 is but the lcd2 is a way better all arounder with better decay, similar but better timbre, and better transparency.

In short a lot of people will find them flawed but for a headphone that is just for listening/feeling the music, writing lyrics to instrumentals(my main motive as an artist) VS analyzing these are it for me and they have better details than the x1. 
In my yamaha vs sony review I said the sony bested the yamaha in sub bass detail and the yamaha bested the dt990 there. Well its like this for sub bass detail...sony still number one>dx700>yamaha>dt990>x1

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #389 of 2,535
  A solid step up from P7, Momentum, MDR-1R, K550 (these are owned or auditioned)

Oh, yeah, Mad Dog too. 

Can confirm, I auditioned all of these except the K550 and Mad Dog.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #390 of 2,535
  Did you also notice Z1000 being brighter when you had both, as graph indicates?

I honestly don't remember, it certainly wasn't as obvious as the difference in bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back