Sony MDR-7506, V6 or 7505?
Dec 31, 2010 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

minusblindfold

New Head-Fier
I've heard the 7506 and V6 are virtually the same, but is there a difference in sound quality? If not, I might go for the V6 (cheaper) but if the 7506's sound better I'll pay the extra money. 

I'm also interested in the 7505's, but only because they're smaller.  (I have a small head so I'm afraid the other two might be huge on me). How do the 7505's compare to the 7506 and V6 sound-wise?

Which would you guys recommend?

(Also, please no saying Sony sucks, or suggesting me other brands of headphones, thanks)

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 12
No idea on the 7505, but the V6/7506 are pretty small with the headband adjusters all the way in. You should have no problem with them. And the general consensus around here is that the V6 and the 7506 are the exact same headphone but with a different label and plug (The 7506 has a gold plated plug and the V6 has a standard plug). I remember reading a thread on here where a guy bought a pair and it had one V6 earcup and one 7506 earcup.

Dec 31, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 12
The 7506 and V6 both have the same parts, but they are wired differently.  (I'll try and dig up a post I did on this recently.)

They do not sound the same.  The V6's are warmer and have better bass.  I didn't like the 7506's at all.

As far as the 7505's, they surprised me because one reference I came across said it was the same as the V6/7506, just on-ear instead of around ear.  Nope, they sound completely different again.  To me, the bass and mids sounded great, but not enough treble !!

Dec 31, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 12
Found the info:

Quote:
http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16967&postcount=43

Quote:
The driver units on the original 7506/V6 models were the same (maybe still are) BUT there is a production difference.  The 7506 is wired with seperate ground screen for each channel for true channel isolation - that is why they are labelled as "professional".
The V6 is wired with a common ground screen (commecial) that introduces slight cross talk (30dB down) through the return channel ground, creating an image signal in the opposite ear. That ironically may lead to a marginally less focused. warmer sound that may make this model represent the mix better in terms of the acoustic interaction of the stereo signal in the air emanting from a pair of near field monitors. In other words the non pro wiring in the V6 may just make them closer to a pair of near fields in the air.

I bought a 7506 and a V6 brand new each from authorized dealers, and I confirmed them to be legit based on all the info detailing differences between the fakes out there are real ones.  This is my listening comparison:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/509947/which-headphone-is-1-rung-above-the-mdr-7506-s/30#post_7039382

They are wired differently, and they do not sound the same because of that.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

They do not sound the same.  The V6's are warmer and have better bass.  I didn't like the 7506's at all.

Interesting. I stand corrected then.

I was as surprised as you.  I bought both of them expecting them to sound the same ... but then they didn't. 
smile.gif
   And the cheaper ones sounded better to me.  How often does that happen?

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 12

The v6's are warmer? Dang, in that case I pity anyone buying the 7506! My old V6 is anything but warm. though there's plenty of mid bass....just not enough upper bass/low mids....and too much of an upper mid peak.
Quote:
The 7506 and V6 both have the same parts, but they are wired differently.  (I'll try and dig up a post I did on this recently.)

As far as the 7505's, they surprised me because one reference I came across said it was the same as the V6/7506, just on-ear instead of around ear.  Nope, they sound completely different again.  To me, the bass and mids sounded great, but not enough treble !!

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 12
I’m not sure I really buy into the idea that they are really that different.

But if you are making the comparisons between a V6 and 7506 using one headphone that is new and one that has been allowed to burn-in, that could certainly account for the differences.  These headphones benefit from burn-in more than any other headphone I’ve ever had.  They are almost painful to listen to right out of the box but get considerably better over time.  I’m not talking about getting used to the sound mentally; I’m talking about comparing used pairs with brand new pairs and being able to hear clear differences in the sound.  The treble becomes MUCH less fatiguing and the bass fattens up a bit also.

But the several times that I’ve had a V6 and a 7506 in my hands, and where both had significant usage, I really did not hear any difference between the two.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I’m not sure I really buy into the idea that they are really that different.

But if you are making the comparisons between a V6 and 7506 using one headphone that is new and one that has been allowed to burn-in, that could certainly account for the differences.  These headphones benefit from burn-in more than any other headphone I’ve ever had.  They are almost painful to listen to right out of the box but get considerably better over time.  I’m not talking about getting used to the sound mentally; I’m talking about comparing used pairs with brand new pairs and being able to hear clear differences in the sound.  The treble becomes MUCH less fatiguing and the bass fattens up a bit also.

But the several times that I’ve had a V6 and a 7506 in my hands, and where both had significant usage, I really did not hear any difference between the two.

The ones that I heard were the same relative age.  Sorry, no differences due to burn in.

I clearly heard a difference, and I was very surprised by that.

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 12
there is a difference in sound quality between the V6 made in Japan and the ones made in China. If you can, hunt down one made in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back