Sony MDR-7506 and MDR-CD900ST
Nov 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #16 of 30
Today, I tried to dampen the housing from the inside with some patafix, in order to make the bass a bit less aggressive but that didn't really work out since the highs are just too shrill in any case...

While i was at it, I also put a pad in front of the driver but I didn't notice any real changes in the highs.

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #17 of 30
Well, it seems the CD900ST should not be compared to the V7, based on what has been presented so far.

1) Different drivers (different diaphragm material).

2) Different housing/chassis parts, based on the close up image of the V7 vs. CD900ST product.

3) Description of 'shrill' sound seems common for V7; no such statement could be made for a CD900ST; it has a slightly attenuated treble, if anything.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 30
Now that I have a CD900ST, I can say that the V7 sounds completely different. Like wind016 said, the CD900ST sound rather laid back with quite a lot of bass without missing the deepest parts. Right now, I'm evaluating whether the amount of bass is right or just too much. Compared to a good speaker setup, including a calibrated subwoofer, I don't miss anything in the sound. I'd say it sounds like a good speaker setup including reproducing bass in the right amount but that just doesn't work for me most of the time. I find the bass a little bit disturbing on recordings which really include sub bass. I'll just wait and see whether I'll get accustomed to that or not :wink:

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:
Now that I have a CD900ST, I can say that the V7 sounds completely different. Like wind016 said, the CD900ST sound rather laid back with quite a lot of bass without missing the deepest parts. Right now, I'm evaluating whether the amount of bass is right or just too much. Compared to a good speaker setup, including a calibrated subwoofer, I don't miss anything in the sound. I'd say it sounds like a good speaker setup including reproducing bass in the right amount but that just doesn't work for me most of the time. I find the bass a little bit disturbing on recordings which really include sub bass. I'll just wait and see whether I'll get accustomed to that or not :wink:

Nice impressions, thanks. I think the bass is pretty spot-on on the CD900ST, the whole balance is very similar to my Lambda Nova, with more weight in the deep bass (which is the main flaw of the Lambda). If you run it through some pure tones you'll hear a progressive roll-off until 30hz, there's no exaggeration IMO. I actually wish it was a even bit darker in the upper mids/low treble.
What do you think of the DT48 in comparison? How's the bass?

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #21 of 30
The Sony reproduces bass almost like my speaker setup which is rather linear but does include some serious bass impacts if the recording is able to deliver that. On the speakers it sounds natural and on the Sony it sounds a bit too much here and there. So, it could be linear in the end... :wink: But as you know a speaker always sounds different to a headphone.

The DT48 sounds quite different from the Sony. The Sony delivers a smooth, bassy and rather relaxed sound. The DT48 does not. Bass rolls off below 50-60 Hz and the sound is more direct. While the Sony sounds natural and smooth, the DT48 sounds realistic and let's you listen to the recording. The DT48 is sometimes a bit unsatisfying for me since some recordings just don't sound good anymore. There's no bass hump in the upper bass and sub bass is missing almost completely. But if the recording is not too shabby, take "Mezzanine" from Massive Attack e.g., you will enjoy a very defined and also powerful bass and overall a very good, precise sound. The DT48 can sound harsh here and there. The Sony could lack a bit resolution in comparison but because of the darker sound overall, it's hard to tell. I'm not missing any details on both headphones.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #22 of 30
Thanks for the answer, very appreciated. Regarding the bass of the CD900ST i think you can slightly change the balance by making the headphone sit more forward or backward. I'm not sure what's the best position for a tight bass but i noticed it can make the headphone sound brighter or darker.

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #23 of 30
Mega bump here. I just received the Cd900st. The overall neutrality is the best that I got so far with an headphone. But first I thought it had too much bass. It has a similar soundstage than the V6. Similar overall sound presentation, it seems like an upgrade for the V6 really. Just that the bass seems excessive and not flat. Mids are richer quite neutral in my opinion and the top treble is smoother than the V6. I would say the CD900ST is definitively a better headphone in all regards except what seems to me as excessive bass that I don't even have with my DT770 or K812. That tells you how big is the bass here. But after my ears get used to that extra boom, the sound is very pleasant. Again, rich neutral midrange and smooth top, big bass. That is an headphone that would please everyone I am sure.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #24 of 30
The Sony reproduces bass almost like my speaker setup which is rather linear but does include some serious bass impacts if the recording is able to deliver that. On the speakers it sounds natural and on the Sony it sounds a bit too much here and there. So, it could be linear in the end... :wink: But as you know a speaker always sounds different to a headphone.

The DT48 sounds quite different from the Sony. The Sony delivers a smooth, bassy and rather relaxed sound. The DT48 does not. Bass rolls off below 50-60 Hz and the sound is more direct. While the Sony sounds natural and smooth, the DT48 sounds realistic and let's you listen to the recording. The DT48 is sometimes a bit unsatisfying for me since some recordings just don't sound good anymore. There's no bass hump in the upper bass and sub bass is missing almost completely. But if the recording is not too shabby, take "Mezzanine" from Massive Attack e.g., you will enjoy a very defined and also powerful bass and overall a very good, precise sound. The DT48 can sound harsh here and there. The Sony could lack a bit resolution in comparison but because of the darker sound overall, it's hard to tell. I'm not missing any details on both headphones.

Very interesting comparison.

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #25 of 30
My intention with the central felt pad was to dampen high frequency shrillness. I'm not sure it did much good. The original polyurethane (soft) ring around the driver had turned into a flat, sticky goo, and I cut the felt ring to replace it. I think this ring is a vital part of the construction, as a sort of filter between front and back radiation. When I put it in place, bass also increased substantially - it is thrilling, but really too much!

As the aged headband pad was in a miserable condition (severely flaking) and the long cord only had a 1/4 inch plug, I decided to find substitutes. Sony spare parts are as scarce as hen's teeth in Europe, and if available, prohibitively expensive. Instead I bought a t.bone HD-880 headphone from Thomann (€25) and used that headband and cable for my V7. Pads are the Beyer DT250 velvet replacements. I'm very happy with the results.

The V7 is a strange animal - too much bass, laidback lower midrange, shrill highs. But boy it's fun to listen to every now and then!

It can do a few things that escape other headphones, dissecting music like a razor. Which can sometimes be painful, too.
Beyer dt250 pads are bad for mids, use something like shure 940 velour

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #26 of 30
I'll keep that in mind, too, for when I give CD900ST a go myself.

May 21, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #28 of 30
Hi,
anyone comapared the CD900 vs the V7? Impressions? Both from 80's as you can see in the picture.

Screenshot_2020-05-21-17-55-35-539_com.android.chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back