Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #541 of 1,177
I had V6 for a short period of time. Don't exactly remember the difference between the 1AM2 and the V6, but I preferred the 1AM2 and sold the V6. Perhaps, it was the ability to drive 1AM2 in balanced..

If you’re referring to the Sony MDR-V6, the 1AM2 is less strident, it has a warmer sound than the V6.

Sep 27, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #543 of 1,177
As someone who didn't prefer warm sound for a long time, the 1A put me off and the 1AM2 was the first time I was impressed with Sony's detail retrieval. I can see why people who liked the originals would be disappointed though. The build quality and padding seems like a downgrade from the original, but is still a notch above Audio-Technica's headphones which are a creak-fest. There is some slight rattling with the 1AM2 stock cable though, seems to be coming from the cable's strain relief - I switched it with my MDR-1000X cable which doesn't do this as much.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #544 of 1,177
I don't understand why are you guys so upset with the plastic build quality. For once I am glad that not everything is out of metal and wood, making things unnecessarily heavy. I can really appreciate this very light-weight design that Sony managed to achieve with 1am2 because I usually listen to my headphones for like 6-8 hours per day. I understand if somebody uses them for less than an hour per day, it wouldn't matter how heavy they are. When you think about the performance / comfort ratio, 1am2 is definitely one of the best over ear portables for this out there (of course only to those who want to have a warm sound). Just to put things in perspective, few years ago my first ever "audiophile" headphone was the AudioTechnica MSR7 and I remember being so ****ing disappointed: the way it was clamping way too hard, hurting your ears after a while, plastic creaking when you move your head or hold it in your hands. It was definitely heavier than 1AM2. And on top the sibilant midrange and highs, I sold it a few months later. Sony nailed so many things right with the new 1AM2 that it's hard to hold it's light-weight design against it. Original 1A feels more "premium" in hand, but that's about it. Sounded way too warm and dark, pads used to warm up very quickly and become annoyingly hot, and was a bit heavier than 1AM2.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #545 of 1,177
I like the build and materials.

To me they give off the vibe of "dentistry" equipment, If you appreciate utilitarian materials of good quality serving their purpose also taking the neat construction into account, they are sexy. And dont come off as cheap but rather special IMHO.

Tried them briefly before and returned them because I was not a fan of the sound but got them recently on sale. I am all about comfort and you can't find lighter headphones. And for the aforementioned reason, that the materials and design impressed me, and made me happy.
If a Sony guy were to be reading this, the one thing that looks a bit plasticky is the "Y-hinges", but that was when I looked at them through negative glasses now. And I think I am picky. But I dont think heavy things, metal or completely matte surfaces (but it'd been nice here, on the silver ones) is synonymous with high quality.

I like the sound a lot more this time around, and the best source being a Hifime sabre 9018 dongle to my pc, but sounds great on my phone and the onboard soundcard as well. At first using the PC front jack it didn't connect properly and actually produced passable sound, and had to reconnect it around halfway to get proper connection. I listen to a lot of different music, a lot of IDM and generally a lot of electronic of a variety of genres, rock, funk, metal, ambient, classical music, OSTs. They work well in games as well.

1AM2s cup material which I found very comfortable in the short time I tried them before is still very good but not as amazing as I remembered. Still heaps beyond most synthetic materials. You can also tell just by looking at it.
I feel like a lot of care and attention to detail has gone into the construction and design and choice of materials.

Would love to try the 1As, both for the sound (since I like bloated bass) and how they compare in comfort.
I have The Coolermaster headset which are OEM Tekstars (the 1A "copy") and I dont think the cups were as comfortable (possibly the material, synthetics are often itchy for me but 1AM2s material is not). And they weigh about as much as the 1A I think (38 gram diff to 1AM2) and it was also a factor.
Need to try those more.
Maybe the 1As were better comfortwise.

late edit to expand and give fairer view, and spellings

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #546 of 1,177
Well, I feel like they're light and thin almost to the point they feel cheap. The Takstar is more flimsy, but the wider headband and larger pads make it seem more premium at first glance.

Not sure how the Cooler Master differs from the original Takstar Pro 82 in terms of padding, but the original Pro 82 was one of the most comfortable headphones I've worn. There's a clunking sound that happens often on the left earcup, I couldn't pinpoint what was causing it, my M50x had something similar as well. The M50x and MSR7 have much better leather pads that don't feel like my sweat gets stuck on the surface (they probably absorb it, but they still last a fairly long time, with the flanges being most vulnerable if you exchange them regularly).

Sep 30, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #547 of 1,177
Well, I feel like they're light and thin almost to the point they feel cheap. The Takstar is more flimsy, but the wider headband and larger pads make it seem more premium at first glance.

Not sure how the Cooler Master differs from the original Takstar Pro 82 in terms of padding, but the original Pro 82 was one of the most comfortable headphones I've worn. There's a clunking sound that happens often on the left earcup, I couldn't pinpoint what was causing it, my M50x had something similar as well. The M50x and MSR7 have much better leather pads that don't feel like my sweat gets stuck on the surface (they probably absorb it, but they still last a fairly long time, with the flanges being most vulnerable if you exchange them regularly).

Hi FYLegend did you test the headphones with the balanced cable? Is there any SQ difference?

Regards!!

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #548 of 1,177
i read through some of this thread and noticed some people recommending balanced wires for the mdr1am2. it comes with a balanced cable. is this cable not adequate or something?
have an incoming zx300 and want to be ready for balanced listening

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #549 of 1,177
i read through some of this thread and noticed some people recommending balanced wires for the mdr1am2. it comes with a balanced cable. is this cable not adequate or something?
Should be perfect. The only limitation is the 4.4mm plug, but if you have a zx300, you’re good to go. Most of my balanced stuff is 2.5mm.

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #550 of 1,177
That 300 as I remember have the balanced output using 4.4 so you'll be fine! I have just a few days using the 1am2 with the balanced cable on a wm1a and I can tell that the SQ is better due to the increase of power.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #552 of 1,177
Its going to fit right into the balanced port of the zx300 :D no additional cables required as 1AM2 already come with a 4.4mm balanced cable

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #553 of 1,177
excellent sound in balanced high gain 4.4 with the zx300 + mdr-1am2

these are my first headphones - i cant imagine the next "step up" and probably won't upgrade for a little while

can someone recommend a slim hard case preferably specifically designed for the sony mdr1am and not just some generic case? looking for as slim as possible

i see a bunch on aliexpress..

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #554 of 1,177
Are these made in Japan like the M1ST?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back