Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #556 of 1,177
Hi @Meshaboo,

Penonaudio.com / penon-official.com or veclan.com, subjectively either retailer has good quality adapters for decent to good pricing though Penon is the most cost effective with free delivery worldwide.

Hope this is useful.

Hope you have a great day !

As my original replies state, I purchased the Penon's back in June. Unfortunately, due to the open/exposed wiring, the adapter is starting to give out. I remembered seeing something a long time ago that people use on their cables to prevent this by heat shrinking their wires with some material. Does anyone know what that stuff is called and where I can get some?

Oct 23, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #557 of 1,177
As my original replies state, I purchased the Penon's back in June. Unfortunately, due to the open/exposed wiring, the adapter is starting to give out. I remembered seeing something a long time ago that people use on their cables to prevent this by heat shrinking their wires with some material. Does anyone know what that stuff is called and where I can get some?

It's just called heat shrink, @Meshaboo, can be found at any decent to good electronics parts or computer parts store, comes in a whole array of colours too & easily applied by first sliding over exposed part then applying low to gentle heat with either hair dryer or heat gun.
Some hardware stores also have heat shrink available.
Some versions are also water resistant to a certain extent but obviously wouldn't submerge them in water.

Hope you finds some which works for you.

Nov 1, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #559 of 1,177
Has anyone used these on flights, whats the noise isolation like?

I fancy getting a set to use with my NW-ZX300 on the balanced output.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #560 of 1,177
Has anyone used these on flights, whats the noise isolation like?

I fancy getting a set to use with my NW-ZX300 on the balanced output.

I actually have used it on my 4 + hours flights this past August and the noise isolation was manageable. I was never annoyed or uncomfortable with the noise from the engine, but barking dogs and crying babies nearby might become an annoyance since those sounds were at higher pitches.

I hope this helps!

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #561 of 1,177
It's just called heat shrink, @Meshaboo, can be found at any decent to good electronics parts or computer parts store, comes in a whole array of colours too & easily applied by first sliding over exposed part then applying low to gentle heat with either hair dryer or heat gun.
Some hardware stores also have heat shrink available.
Some versions are also water resistant to a certain extent but obviously wouldn't submerge them in water.

Hope you finds some which works for you.

Ohhh great, thank you so much and I hope you have a great day as well!

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #562 of 1,177
I actually have used it on my 4 + hours flights this past August and the noise isolation was manageable. I was never annoyed or uncomfortable with the noise from the engine, but barking dogs and crying babies nearby might become an annoyance since those sounds were at higher pitches.

I hope this helps!

Thanks - Yes that is helpful, I was not expecting it to be outstanding but "manageable" is good enough for me to try a pair.

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #563 of 1,177
Holy hell.
I experienced something with these today that I thought I should share with all.
I was out today and at one point wanted to take them off, I decided to flatten the ear cups and shove in my winter coat's pocket.
Later when I wanted to take them out I realised the mistake that I had made, the pocket was far too tight and the headset had been squished and contorted to some degrees and was under quite a lot of pressure when trying to take them out.
I was sure that something some where would have broken apart.
When I finally managed to take them out everything was fine which surprised me considering the time and time again discussion of these being less sturdy than the older models.
So got to say these definitely have a great build.

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #564 of 1,177
Holy hell.
I experienced something with these today that I thought I should share with all.
I was out today and at one point wanted to take them off, I decided to flatten the ear cups and shove in my winter coat's pocket.
Later when I wanted to take them out I realised the mistake that I had made, the pocket was far too tight and the headset had been squished and contorted to some degrees and was under quite a lot of pressure when trying to take them out.
I was sure that something some where would have broken apart.
When I finally managed to take them out everything was fine which surprised me considering the time and time again discussion of these being less sturdy than the older models.
So got to say these definitely have a great build.
I would agree. These are built quite well. I've owned my pair for one year now and they get used 5-6 hours a day, 5 days a week minimum. I use them at work and they are basically trapped at my work house since we've become a metal free facility. Meaning if I left with them I wouldn't be able to get them back in the door since they wouldn't clear the metal detector. Or at least I assume they wouldn't. I don't miss not having them at home too much as I have plenty of other Sony headphones at home to fill my ears. Z7, Z7M2 and IER-M9. But the 1AM2 was my first Sony headphone and is the reason I own so many now. It started my Sony obsession for me.

After a year of heavy use, the 1AM2 is definitely looser than they used to be. Liike at the hinges and joints. But they've held up well. The finish on them is pretty damn tough too. They've taken quite a few bumps but still don't have any noticable scuffs or scratches.

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #565 of 1,177
Hi folks I'd Like to know how good is noise passive noise cancellation are on this in comparison to mdr-z7m2 and maybe an iem with comply foams?

Or a xm3 passive can do a better passive isolation? I dont intend to use Bluetooth so passive and wired only....

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #566 of 1,177
Hi folks I'd Like to know how good is noise passive noise cancellation are on this in comparison to mdr-z7m2 and maybe an iem with comply foams?

Or a xm3 passive can do a better passive isolation? I dont intend to use Bluetooth so passive and wired only....

Honestly, @Vitaly2017,

The passive isolation on the 1AM2 is only slightly above average especially if your media ranges from normal to slightly above normal listening levels. Aftermarket pads might work but have yet to find ones which fit the 1AM2 well.

Definitely an IEM with Comply will provide better isolation than most headphones, especially if fit & seal is good, Dekoni make a better alternative slightly longer lasting foam than Complys which actually handle a few light washing with mild soap & water.
In recent times, I find Periodic Audio Hydrogen Tips, especially the silicone versions quite robust & seal exceptionally well compared to most other named brand silicone but this is personal & subjective.

Z7M2 has good seal though the sound there is subjective & personal, not to mention a good, high current, not necessarily power or voltage is required for the Z7M2 to sound its best though subjectively, I prefer the 1AM2 sound a lot more.

XM3 is kind of wasted on you then as the NC is what makes it truly shine & passive isolation is only average to above average with normal listening levels.

If you want really good isolation & good sound, I suggest the Neumann NDH 20 instead, exceptional passive noise isolation with a sound which has a no emphasis Frequency Response which will only highlight what is recorded in your media.
For example, say you like good strong bass of the consumer variety, especially the explosions or gunshots in movies, all these you will hear & 'feel' to a certain extent similar to a standard 2.1 sound system though this is subjective & debatable.
When it comes down to it, it will all depend on your source & source quality.

Hope this all makes sense.

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #567 of 1,177
Honestly, @Vitaly2017,

The passive isolation on the 1AM2 is only slightly above average especially if your media ranges from normal to slightly above normal listening levels. Aftermarket pads might work but have yet to find ones which fit the 1AM2 well.

Definitely an IEM with Comply will provide better isolation than most headphones, especially if fit & seal is good, Dekoni make a better alternative slightly longer lasting foam than Complys which actually handle a few light washing with mild soap & water.
In recent times, I find Periodic Audio Hydrogen Tips, especially the silicone versions quite robust & seal exceptionally well compared to most other named brand silicone but this is personal & subjective.

Z7M2 has good seal though the sound there is subjective & personal, not to mention a good, high current, not necessarily power or voltage is required for the Z7M2 to sound its best though subjectively, I prefer the 1AM2 sound a lot more.

XM3 is kind of wasted on you then as the NC is what makes it truly shine & passive isolation is only average to above average with normal listening levels.

If you want really good isolation & good sound, I suggest the Neumann NDH 20 instead, exceptional passive noise isolation with a sound which has a no emphasis Frequency Response which will only highlight what is recorded in your media.
For example, say you like good strong bass of the consumer variety, especially the explosions or gunshots in movies, all these you will hear & 'feel' to a certain extent similar to a standard 2.1 sound system though this is subjective & debatable.
When it comes down to it, it will all depend on your source & source quality.

Hope this all makes sense.

Hi Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I currently own wm1z and ier-z1r, I thought to give a try to sonys headphones a try. But yes as you can understand my environment is supper noisy I drive a semi truck, pot holes engine roars yea it actually worser then air plain or train conditions you know...
I have to say my ier-z1r with a diy comply foam and type e ear tips works best and even isolation I mean is quiet super quiet, more then even an active noise cancelation can offer.
I was looking for a headphone , and those 2 come on to my radar mdr-z7m2 ans mdr-1am2. I have to say for the price 1am2 is so darn affordable vs z7m2.
For me also comfort as supper important as sound quality, wonder which one of the 2 is more spacious and comfortable ?
For reference when I tried the mdr-z1r my ears touched the inside of the ear cup.

Also ier-z1r is not that comfortable eather, I got few hot spots. So I had to diy for comfort there too ....

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #568 of 1,177
Hi Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I currently own wm1z and ier-z1r, I thought to give a try to sonys headphones a try. But yes as you can understand my environment is supper noisy I drive a semi truck, pot holes engine roars yea it actually worser then air plain or train conditions you know...
I have to say my ier-z1r with a diy comply foam and type e ear tips works best and even isolation I mean is quiet super quiet, more then even an active noise cancelation can offer.
I was looking for a headphone , and those 2 come on to my radar mdr-z7m2 ans mdr-1am2. I have to say for the price 1am2 is so darn affordable vs z7m2.
For me also comfort as supper important as sound quality, wonder which one of the 2 is more spacious and comfortable ?
For reference when I tried the mdr-z1r my ears touched the inside of the ear cup.

Also ier-z1r is not that comfortable eather, I got few hot spots. So I had to diy for comfort there too ....

Hi @Vitaly2017,

Happy to help.

Honestly, 99% of the time, good fit & seal on IEMs will beat potentially the best Closed Back Headphones every time no question so when it comes down to it, it will all depend on you.
Foams are a tricky thing to get right, as not every IEM & ear & ear canal aren't the same so it is important to find one which is right for you which is why I suggested alternatives as I used to use foams for many years prior & sometimes still do.
DIY as a general rule isn't really necessary as there are plenty of options, especially nowadays so I suggest looking into the Periodic H tips, especially the silicones as you might find they work for you.
I believe Periodic Audio is still running their autumn sale so this should work in your favour...

I kind of figured you were after a comfortable fit as priority.
As for me, that is an equal to slightly higher priority to overall sound quality though that is still quite important.

As stated, depends what sound signature you after, though if isolation is your main priority, the 7M2 will definitely give you better isolation though depending on your ear & head shape, may not be comfortable, you will have to try it to be sure.
But it is important to note, sound quality isn't the best subjectively without the suggestions I outlined.

By the way, haven't personally tried these yet but Dekoni make little adhesive backed foam cushions they call nuggets for people who have trouble fitting headphones well.

For the best fit & isolation as well as good sound quality, really hard to go wrong with Neumann NDH 20 so I suggest try to demo those.

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #569 of 1,177
Hi. I just got these headphones and have a couple of questions. First off the cable that comes with it, it’s bent really hard do I need to straightening it somehow or should I leave it and just plug it and use it right away. 2nd question I’m experiencing sometimes... now I’m not sure if it’s what I’m watching or it’s the headphones. Basically when in some stuff u listening too you hear slight clicks here and there, they are kinda hard to notice. I should note I’m running this on my msi laptop with no amp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back