Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #511 of 1,177
If you want Audio Technica stuff then get thei mdr 1a knockoff, as in ath msr7.
Even those have a heavy clamp but at least the sound quality is good.

They did have a heavy clamp, but they've released a new model, the ATH-MSR7b, which has a new design - lighter weight, lower clamp, revised drivers, independent A2DC connectors on each cup, and a bundled 4.4mm balanced cable (and gotta pay attention to that little "b", otherwise it's easy to confuse the new MSR7bBK model with old the MSR7BK model in web searches). The A2DC connector is used on a number of other Audio Technica headphones, so there's a decent aftermarket of cables available for other balanced jacks as well. Also the basic ear cup dimensions haven't changed, so aftermarket ear pads from companies like YAXI fit the MSR7b as well as they did the MSR7.

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #512 of 1,177
They did have a heavy clamp, but they've released a new model, the ATH-MSR7b, which has a new design - lighter weight, lower clamp, revised drivers, independent A2DC connectors on each cup, and a bundled 4.4mm balanced cable (and gotta pay attention to that little "b", otherwise it's easy to confuse the new MSR7bBK model with old the MSR7BK model in web searches). The A2DC connector is used on a number of other Audio Technica headphones, so there's a decent aftermarket of cables available for other balanced jacks as well. Also the basic ear cup dimensions haven't changed, so aftermarket ear pads from companies like YAXI fit the MSR7b as well as they did the MSR7.
good to know what the differences are in the B model.
I personally dislike the cables, it is just a way to try to force consumers to pay for more expensive cables in hopes of them making an extra buck, it is the ATH way.
on IEMs I can understand the lack of standard cables even though there too they (all the manufacturers) should all drop the bs and just use MMCX connectors as a universal standard.

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #513 of 1,177
Which edition of the m50x do you have though? There are like 3 revisions of it plus the bt and the original m50.
It is interesting that you feel a hot spot on 1am2, I have not, but idk man.
The reason I mentioned pad change was not flaking, it is the cramp feel they bring.
Same with m40 headsets, they need a change too.
I am looking into changing the pads on 1am2 too, but am still feeling it out, doesn't feel uncomfortable yet, but then again my ears seem to be perfect fit for these.
I don't hear anything from 1am2 but 1a apparently had that creaking issue even more.

Mine was the white M50x from summer 2014, not long after they were launched. What were the different revisions for M50x? There was some talk about potential fakes or factory seconds having similar but slightly different earpad texture and still sounding very good. I know the M40x got a hinge revision to the metal plate at some point.

MDR-100AAP was supposed to be zero-creaking but it seems Sony haven't learned. Some demo units of 1AM2 I tried had some clicking on the right side.

I'm wondering what are some good pad options. I only see Geekria makes one for the 1AM2. Do any other pads have the same snap-on configuration as these? My hair and ears also have a tendency to make a crackling sound rubbing against the pads. You could fit many different pads on them, but the lack of a flange makes the fit loose and awkward-looking.

The proprietary cable was one reason I went with the 1AM2 this time. It also allows for using a single bluetooth receiver while A2DC would mean you need to wear the Bluetooth cable like a necklace. The MSR7b also didn't sound so different from the MSR7 to justify upgrading. A bit more refined in the mids and the treble, but also slightly less bass, so overall I was more impressed with the fuller, deeper sound of the Sonys. I'm wondering about the MSR7SE though, as it is said to have deeper bass than MSR7 or MSR7b.

Just wondering if YAXI pads are good for the 1AM2?

May 1, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #514 of 1,177
Ok, decided to order the headphone. Should arrive next week, I'll let you know my impressions!

Thanks for the advice!

Update:

First impressions:

- comfort is way better than the Momentum 2.0, barely feel it's on your head and I don't think my ear tips are touching the drivers, but will have to do a long session
- bass is much more punchy than the Sennheiser, which I like a lot. The rest of the spectrum I have no idea actually, I'm not an audiophile but for now I do prefer the sound of the Sony as I think the treble is also a bit more pronounced.
- no deformation of my head, the Momentum 2.0 has a split headband which sculpts your head, after a long session you can feel on the top of your head a bulge where the middle of the headband was
- blocking out noise is a bit less but doesn't bother me

Overall for now I feel it's a keeper.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #515 of 1,177
Mine was the white M50x from summer 2014, not long after they were launched. What were the different revisions for M50x? There was some talk about potential fakes or factory seconds having similar but slightly different earpad texture and still sounding very good. I know the M40x got a hinge revision to the metal plate at some point.

MDR-100AAP was supposed to be zero-creaking but it seems Sony haven't learned. Some demo units of 1AM2 I tried had some clicking on the right side.

I'm wondering what are some good pad options. I only see Geekria makes one for the 1AM2. Do any other pads have the same snap-on configuration as these? My hair and ears also have a tendency to make a crackling sound rubbing against the pads. You could fit many different pads on them, but the lack of a flange makes the fit loose and awkward-looking.

The proprietary cable was one reason I went with the 1AM2 this time. It also allows for using a single bluetooth receiver while A2DC would mean you need to wear the Bluetooth cable like a necklace. The MSR7b also didn't sound so different from the MSR7 to justify upgrading. A bit more refined in the mids and the treble, but also slightly less bass, so overall I was more impressed with the fuller, deeper sound of the Sonys. I'm wondering about the MSR7SE though, as it is said to have deeper bass than MSR7 or MSR7b.

Just wondering if YAXI pads are good for the 1AM2?
Tried the SE, really, each revisions of the MSR7 changed the sound so little it's not even worth considering upgrading from stock. I agree someone should try the Yaxi StPads on these, it was also designed for MDR7506 after all, Shouldn't be a bad one to try.

May 12, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #516 of 1,177
Since it's summer and I don't think the stock pads would be comfortable, I fitted old Massdrop Sound Professionals M50x velour pads onto them, soundstage seems far open, with a tad bit of sub-bass rolloff and the sound becomes less warm and leaner. The upper mids are almost too forward but I'll see how these play out in the long run. These pads worked well with M50x (slightly less bassy but retained largely the same tuning), less so with MSR7 (opened soundstage but lost a lot of bass and sounded too bright). The fact that their flange is tighter than the 1AM2 means that they don't fit as awkwardly as I thought, and they don't creak like the stock pads..

One question I have now is how can I distinguish between left and right stock pads for when I reinstall them?

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #517 of 1,177
After a few days I decided to go back to stock pads. The detail retrieval and soundstage were quite astonishing with the velour pads, but the highs became far more aggressive. I find it a bit odd since the driver padding is thicker, although it's interesting how Sony claims the "Fibonacci pattern" on the stock netting is supposed to tame the highs. The bass was still present but definitely takes a significant backseat - overall the sound signature would be closer to something like the MSR7 or M70x.

May 27, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #519 of 1,177
After a few days I decided to go back to stock pads. The detail retrieval and soundstage were quite astonishing with the velour pads, but the highs became far more aggressive. I find it a bit odd since the driver padding is thicker, although it's interesting how Sony claims the "Fibonacci pattern" on the stock netting is supposed to tame the highs. The bass was still present but definitely takes a significant backseat - overall the sound signature would be closer to something like the MSR7 or M70x.

How is the 1AM2 compared to the Takstar Pro 82 in overall terms?

May 27, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #520 of 1,177
How is the 1AM2 compared to the Takstar Pro 82 in overall terms?
Pro 82 is the more balanced of the two, but has a narrow treble peak near the top that can sound a bit shimmery but tends to not be fatiguing and has a very wide soundstage for a closed-back headphone. Where it falls short is bass impact and midrange clarity, so while it's good for analytical listening it's not as "musical" as either the 1AM2 or MSR7. The bass ports are gimmicky and make the midbass more bloated. 1AM2 is more V-shaped with much deeper and tighter bass emphasis, as well as a treble peak that sounds a tad thick/splashy, but rarely sibilant (longtime MDR-1A users don't like it, but coming from ATH-MSR7 and Takstar it's similar to what I'm used to). Mids don't sound recessed but actually take a backseat relative to bass and treble.

May 27, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #521 of 1,177
Pro 82 is the more balanced of the two, but has a narrow treble peak near the top that can sound a bit shimmery but tends to not be fatiguing and has a very wide soundstage for a closed-back headphone. Where it falls short is bass impact and midrange clarity, so while it's good for analytical listening it's not as "musical" as either the 1AM2 or MSR7. The bass ports are gimmicky and make the midbass more bloated. 1AM2 is more V-shaped with much deeper and tighter bass emphasis, as well as a treble peak that sounds a tad thick/splashy, but rarely sibilant (longtime MDR-1A users don't like it, but coming from ATH-MSR7 and Takstar it's similar to what I'm used to). Mids don't sound recessed but actually take a backseat relative to bass and treble.

Thanks for the comparison!

I was looking for a good closed back can (I even thinked in the Z7M2) but in the end I prefer something more lightweight and affordable that sounds good with all kind of generes.

If you only had to pick one of the two, which one do you prefer considering all things (sound, comfort and build quality)? I can pick the 1AM2 for about $150 bucks in my country while I can get the Pro 82 for less than $60 in Aliexpress.

May 28, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #522 of 1,177
It'll depend on your sound preferences. Go for the Sony you want more bass, Takstar if you want analytical sound that still works well for orchestral or ambient music since they have a big soundstage.

Comfort - Takstar wins hands down as the pads are larger and more permeable. The MDR-1AM2 is more comfortable than MSR7 or M50x, but still falls short and longtime MDR-1A users have complained it is worse in part due to the new pads. The pads aren't terrible in comfort but they do get hot and sweaty/shiny.

Build-quality is quite similar between the two - the Takstar being a bit more hefty in hand while Sony is a tad more compact.. Sony creaks more around the snap-on joints for the earpad which can get annoying when wearing or taking them off, but rarely creak while wearing them. Takstar doesn't creak but whenever I wear them I keep hearing an irritating clunking sound coming from the left earcup that I can't seem to pinpoint the source. 2.5mm cable of the Takstar also puts me off as it restricts my choices of replacement cables (the M50x cable works but seems to distort a bit more).

In terms of value the Takstar is more bang-for-buck, if you are willing to look past its shortcomings. You're mainly paying for the brand/reputation and aesthetics on the Sony.

May 28, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #523 of 1,177
Hi all.

It is my first post greetings to all the companions of Head fi.

My native language is Spanish, sorry for my English, I am using the google translator.

I will try to make a critique as detailed as possible of this great headset, a great discovery. Better than all the headphones I've had and tested.

As a reference I have a Senheisser HD600 with this Sony Mdr 1am2 currently and I have had and tested several more headphones like Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 Ohms and 32 Ohms, Beyerdynamic DT240 pro, Beyerdynamic Custom Studio, Audio technica M50x, Audio technica msr7, and the new model that was recently released Audio technica msr7b balanced, Also the previous version the Sony mdr 1A.

I also tried in a wireless version the Bose Quiet comfort 35 II and the Sony Whh900n and Sony wh-1000xm3.

I am a guitarist for many years playing in various bands and a lover of good music, my musical tastes are varied, from Rock, Pop, Blues, Metal, Soul, Funk, classical, lyric, etc.

I have to say that this Sony is my favorite along with the HD 600 (The HD600 gives some more detail in medium and high but less in low and is less exciting) that's why I currently have them.

SOUND QUALITY:

I will now describe the sound quality. Without using the balanced cable, I have not been able to test it yet, but it says it improves the sound quality even more.

It has a warm and detailed sound, with excellent images, very accurate, you can differentiate perfectly each instrument and its location, has some soundstage to be a closed headset. It also has a very good sense of depth. A good thing is also that the ear does not fatigue (like the msr7 which is very detailed but fatigued the fast ear with its high means) to be somewhat warmer. This headset sounds great in different styles, is very versatile and stands out even more in Rock and Pop, sounds very good.

It has a shocking but adjusted bass, it is not heard loose or the other frequencies are eaten. Giving the percussion a good impact and emotion to the songs.

The media is well present, giving the voices a good presence in the mix and very natural, both female and male voices.
The guitars also sound very good with good presence in the mix, especially guitars with distortion sound with claws and fleshy.

The highs are also well present without being too sharp or hurtful, giving many details. You can perfectly appreciate the singer's breathing, fretting of strings, reverberations and decay in voices, guitars, percussion, etc.

One important thing to point out. These headphones need burn, the first time you hear them just out of the box, note that you had to raise the volume quite a thing that after a few hours did not need to climb much.

Another important thing that you notice, is that at first it sounds too warm, you do not hear so much the highs and middles, (I had to equalize to give it some high and high means) it takes about 50 hours for the sound to open and Now I do not need to equalize, the sound that comes out is perfect and balanced.

The source to which you plug the headphones is also important, but that happens in general with all headphones, there are warmer sources and other cooler that you have to take into account when trying headphones because they can give the wrong idea of how they sound. I would try several sources just in case.

One last more important thing, in relation to the comment made by Mathieulh, who commented that the bass is badly executed in this handset. I think he had a defective headset.

If the bass sounds too present to you that eats other frequencies, it is because it is defective. In this new model they adjusted it so that it would not happen like the previous model that the bass was too strong.

I'm telling you because I tried one in the store and it sounded good and then I bought it on a website and it sounded bad, the bass was exaggerated and it was not removed, I had to send it back, then reading in forums everyone said that the bass was not so exaggerated and later I went back to try another unit and effectively the bass was correct and I went back to buy it.

COMFORT:

They are by far the most comfortable headset that I have tried, I can spend hours with the post, it is super light 187 grams and there are no discomforts in the upper part of the headband (Like the msr7 and m50x I had to return it because the pain was unbearable it caused in the superior part of the diadema only having it put one hour).

The ear pads are super comfortable and soft, yes, if you have a very large ear you can play with the inner edges of the pads, because they are a little narrow but very high, but because they are so soft I do not think it bothers you , as I have a medium ear, I have no problem.

ELEGANCE, DISCRECTION:

Another important thing for me to emphasize, is that it is an elegant and discreet headset, I wanted it to be able to use it on the street too and I wanted it to be discreet, I do not like to attract attention and these are super discreet, pq does not wear flashy colors and the headband does not protrude too much from the head, the size of the glasses is not excessive so if you are also looking for discretion it is ideal.

OTHER SECTIONS TO HIGHLIGHT, SOUND LEAKS, INSULATION, QUALITY MATERIALS:

It is very good in this sense, at medium volume while my wife is watching TV on the sofa she does not listen to anything I hear and I do not listen to the TV unless the song is silent at that moment.

I also usually use it when I pass the vacuum cleaner and cook with the bell on or wash dishes and I do not hear anything or almost nothing outside noise (a little the vacuum cleaner). I believe that it is due to the high quality of the pads, they seal the ear very well.

In the subway I used it and it also isolates quite well, I only occasionally listened to the megaphone with the stop warning and some conversation but it was very loud and very close.

Although it weighs very little it is seen that it is built with quality materials the cups are made of magnesium and the metal headband and there is some plastic (to be able to reduce weight) but it looks good quality. The synthetic leather also looks good quality providing elegance too. The pads are made of a very soft and comfortable material, with memory foam, they are a pass.

Well, I think that's all, I hope you can use my opinion to make a decision.

Greetings.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #524 of 1,177
It'll depend on your sound preferences. Go for the Sony you want more bass, Takstar if you want analytical sound that still works well for orchestral or ambient music since they have a big soundstage.

Comfort - Takstar wins hands down as the pads are larger and more permeable. The MDR-1AM2 is more comfortable than MSR7 or M50x, but still falls short and longtime MDR-1A users have complained it is worse in part due to the new pads. The pads aren't terrible in comfort but they do get hot and sweaty/shiny.

Build-quality is quite similar between the two - the Takstar being a bit more hefty in hand while Sony is a tad more compact.. Sony creaks more around the snap-on joints for the earpad which can get annoying when wearing or taking them off, but rarely creak while wearing them. Takstar doesn't creak but whenever I wear them I keep hearing an irritating clunking sound coming from the left earcup that I can't seem to pinpoint the source. 2.5mm cable of the Takstar also puts me off as it restricts my choices of replacement cables (the M50x cable works but seems to distort a bit more).

In terms of value the Takstar is more bang-for-buck, if you are willing to look past its shortcomings. You're mainly paying for the brand/reputation and aesthetics on the Sony.
I am sorry but the sound stage is not good on Takstar, its imaging is good but not its sound stage.
The drive of takstar is also an issue, you could run a 1am2 on a damn toaster, takstar is more hungry for power.
It also has some issues with the built quality.
Mine broke at the hinge connections, have talked to people that had their cable connector snap in a day and many other similar stories.
Also be extremely careful on Aliexpress, in this very forum we have people that made purchases on Pro 82 off aliexpress and got scammed.
All in all I believe that you can do better at that price.
At that price you can get iems like Fiio f5s which are amazing.
You could get the Retroprice cans or you could up the price and get safer bets.

May 28, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #525 of 1,177
Hi all.
The highs are also well present without being too sharp or hurtful, giving many details. You can perfectly appreciate the singer's breathing, strings of strings, reverberations and decay in voices, guitars, percussion, etc.

This timed 1000.
The strings on 1am2s just sound perfect and blend in the amazingly well balanced bass and you feel like you are in the damn studio listening to the band when recording the damn song (in my case right now it is Wherever I may roam by Metallica)
It is just something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back