Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #496 of 1,177
IMHO, the biggest improvement from 1A is treble. Clearer, more articulated, more natural. Bass is certainly slightly tighter. I prefer IAM2 as bass feels slightly less bloated, relatively speaking. It all comes down to personal taste, so I definitely encourage you to audition it somewhere.

In terms of comfort, it got even better, because 1AM2 is meaningfully lighter. It does feel incredibly light. However, as it is essentially an “on the ear” HP, you may want to test it yourself for 10-15 min to make sure that the pads don’t bother your ears.
what do you mean with "on the ear"?
Because I could swear my ears go inside the cups.

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #497 of 1,177
what do you mean with "on the ear"?
Because I could swear my ears go inside the cups.

Like most HPs at this price range, 1AM2’s ear cups are not super deep (unlike Z1R, for example), so your ears will go inside the cups, but may touch inside the HP ... whether it does and whether it bothers you completely depends on your ear’s shape.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #498 of 1,177
It's brighter than previous Sonys. If you really enjoyed the MDR-1R or MDR-1A you might find these more fatiguing, but if you come from a brighter sound signature (I previously preferred Audio-Technica's brighter signature) these are great while providing deeper bass extension than usual.
Tested Sony MDR-1AM2

Sony MDR-1AM2 presented several reports, which are different levels of difficulty.

Professional reports contain graphs and tables
Simple reports – a description of the characteristics in a simple language
On-line comparison and selection services for Sony MDR-1AM2
Interesting how the measurements show the 1AM2 has deeper bass, and is overall more peaked than the 1A, despite some of the impressions here.

1A vs M2.png

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #499 of 1,177
It's brighter than previous Sonys. If you really enjoyed the MDR-1R or MDR-1A you might find these more fatiguing, but if you come from a brighter sound signature (I previously preferred Audio-Technica's brighter signature) these are great while providing deeper bass extension than usual.

Interesting how the measurements show the 1AM2 has deeper bass, and is overall more peaked than the 1A, despite some of the impressions here.

The reason for the impression that the bass is tamer is the more gradual and subtle curve on deep bass and the overall better tuning of the cans.
The 1a was rougher in its transitions hence making it more in your face.

Apr 28, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #500 of 1,177
Greetings.

I bought these since they were down to 120€. Build quality is very nice and love the low weight. Out of the box mid/upper bass sounds boomy and upper mids/low highs slightly harsh. EQ'd the bass to more reasonable level and hoping burn in does something for the upper range.

Another issue is the small opening for cable as my longer 3rd party cables and bluetooth receiver won't fit. I removed the golden ring with pliers but this results in barely larger opening. Next step would be completely cutting off the black threaded part under the golden ring. Has anyone done this?

Lastly the pads are too small for my ears so I've been looking for alternatives. Skimming through this thread ATH-MSR7 and Meze 99 pads seem to be popular options but I wonder if there is any suitable velour pads available. Has anyone tried Brainwavz Hybrids? How is the fit and how do they affect sound?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #501 of 1,177
Thanks for your answers.

I know this is not really the thread for it, but I'm doubting between this headphone and the ATH M50x.

As I said, comfort is a huge deal as I wear them for +4 hours a day and there is no doubt the 1AM2 would be no issue. Unfortunately there are no stores in my neighbourhood to test them out. But based on reviews and the responses in this thread, the sound signature of the M50x appeals to me more...
Are there perhaps some of you who tested them both and can inform me on the comfort of the M50x? There are many mixed reviews on the comfort part of these headphones...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #502 of 1,177
Thanks for your answers.

I know this is not really the thread for it, but I'm doubting between this headphone and the ATH M50x.

As I said, comfort is a huge deal as I wear them for +4 hours a day and there is no doubt the 1AM2 would be no issue. Unfortunately there are no stores in my neighbourhood to test them out. But based on reviews and the responses in this thread, the sound signature of the M50x appeals to me more...
Are there perhaps some of you who tested them both and can inform me on the comfort of the M50x? There are many mixed reviews on the comfort part of these headphones...

I had a pair, it was one of my most disappointing experiences ever, it is hyped as a enthusiast level headphone but it is far from it, it is also clampy as hell.
All in all since m50x is still going at the same price while 1am2 is right now at the price lower than m50x with the sells it makes little sense to me to buy m50x over this.
If you want Audio Technica stuff then get thei mdr 1a knockoff, as in ath msr7.
Even those have a heavy clamp but at least the sound quality is good.
Also what do you have, cause ath m50x is not really portable, it has a pretty disappointing sound but at least with a bit more power it sounds somewhat better.
Also if you get ath m50x you definitely have to change the pads.

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #503 of 1,177
I had a pair, it was one of my most disappointing experiences ever, it is hyped as a enthusiast level headphone but it is far from it, it is also clampy as hell.
All in all since m50x is still going at the same price while 1am2 is right now at the price lower than m50x with the sells it makes little sense to me to buy m50x over this.
If you want Audio Technica stuff then get thei mdr 1a knockoff, as in ath msr7.
Even those have a heavy clamp but at least the sound quality is good.
Also what do you have, cause ath m50x is not really portable, it has a pretty disappointing sound but at least with a bit more power it sounds somewhat better.
Also if you get ath m50x you definitely have to change the pads.

I no longer have M50x, but it's somewhat of a toss-up between them. I actually didn't have much clamping issues with M50x and it got rather loose over time (though not nearly as good as Takstar Pro 82). Maybe I was just lucky and got a unit that didn't clamp as much. On the white version at least, the M50x earpads are quite soft and permeable, and the headband is also nicely padded. The main issue with the M50x is the actual fit or "ear-room", which is quite cramped/congested, and they collect grime over time (really apparent with the white version). My pads didn't flake like some demo units I've seen, but the headband flaked a lot such that I decided to tape it up with gauze (mummified M50x, anyone?). The same can't be said about the MSR7 which is notorious for clamping. It wasn't terrible for me, especially after bending/expanding the headband, but there is still a pressure spot at the top of my head. The issue in part seems to be that the bottom of the headband doesn't actually have much padding and it's mainly on top. Unfortunately I don't think the 1AM2 is much better - it has better padding and less clamping, but there is still a similar pressure "hotspot" on top. The 1AM2 pads also lack breathability and looks shiny/sweaty after a long listening session. The fit is ok but if these had MSR7 type earpads they would have been far more comfortable. The Takstar Pro 82 beats all of these in sheer comfort because the pads are huge and breathable. However, my pet peeve with Pro 82 and M50x that really drives me nuts is the random clicking sounds coming from the hinges. I tried oil and talc powder, none of which help at all. MSR7 and 1AM2 hinges creak/squeak but rarely do that when you wear them unless you turn your head a lot.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #504 of 1,177
I have m50x before, it is veiled and too v-shape. 1am2 is far better,

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #505 of 1,177
I have m50x before, it is veiled and too v-shape. 1am2 is far better,
Veiled? hmm I remember it was quite aggressive and one reason there was a whole circlejerk against them. It had a upper-mid/treble peak, but was darker than the MSR7 that's for sure. The MDR-100AAP was veiled in mids and treble otherwise another good alternative. 1AM2 has deeper bass and brighter treble, but there's a dip around the medium-treble (my sibilant hearing is imbalanced here so I don't mind this).

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #506 of 1,177
Greetings.

I bought these since they were down to 120€. Build quality is very nice and love the low weight. Out of the box mid/upper bass sounds boomy and upper mids/low highs slightly harsh. EQ'd the bass to more reasonable level and hoping burn in does something for the upper range.

Another issue is the small opening for cable as my longer 3rd party cables and bluetooth receiver won't fit. I removed the golden ring with pliers but this results in barely larger opening. Next step would be completely cutting off the black threaded part under the golden ring. Has anyone done this?

Lastly the pads are too small for my ears so I've been looking for alternatives. Skimming through this thread ATH-MSR7 and Meze 99 pads seem to be popular options but I wonder if there is any suitable velour pads available. Has anyone tried Brainwavz Hybrids? How is the fit and how do they affect sound?

Velour will always ruin the sound on closed-back, i won't even think about it.

Thanks for your answers.

Had m50x, can't stand the comfort they hurt my jaw and ears(1am2 do have small earpads but somehow my ears don't touch the driver or earpads), they have stiffer cushion, smaller opening and lower quality pleather.

As for sound, though m40x worse on paper, in reality m40x are more natural sounding especially on treble(than m50x), m50x treble is so artificial and with pad change m40x are one of my favourite closed-back, 1am2 with little mod to tame the peak actually the best for me, it's not as transparent as those Senns nor have as much details, it's a great balance IMHO, i'm even considering to sell my Senns.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #508 of 1,177
I no longer have M50x, but it's somewhat of a toss-up between them. I actually didn't have much clamping issues with M50x and it got rather loose over time (though not nearly as good as Takstar Pro 82). Maybe I was just lucky and got a unit that didn't clamp as much. On the white version at least, the M50x earpads are quite soft and permeable, and the headband is also nicely padded. The main issue with the M50x is the actual fit or "ear-room", which is quite cramped/congested, and they collect grime over time (really apparent with the white version). My pads didn't flake like some demo units I've seen, but the headband flaked a lot such that I decided to tape it up with gauze (mummified M50x, anyone?). The same can't be said about the MSR7 which is notorious for clamping. It wasn't terrible for me, especially after bending/expanding the headband, but there is still a pressure spot at the top of my head. The issue in part seems to be that the bottom of the headband doesn't actually have much padding and it's mainly on top. Unfortunately I don't think the 1AM2 is much better - it has better padding and less clamping, but there is still a similar pressure "hotspot" on top. The 1AM2 pads also lack breathability and looks shiny/sweaty after a long listening session. The fit is ok but if these had MSR7 type earpads they would have been far more comfortable. The Takstar Pro 82 beats all of these in sheer comfort because the pads are huge and breathable. However, my pet peeve with Pro 82 and M50x that really drives me nuts is the random clicking sounds coming from the hinges. I tried oil and talc powder, none of which help at all. MSR7 and 1AM2 hinges creak/squeak but rarely do that when you wear them unless you turn your head a lot.
Which edition of the m50x do you have though? There are like 3 revisions of it plus the bt and the original m50.
It is interesting that you feel a hot spot on 1am2, I have not, but idk man.
The reason I mentioned pad change was not flaking, it is the cramp feel they bring.
Same with m40 headsets, they need a change too.
I am looking into changing the pads on 1am2 too, but am still feeling it out, doesn't feel uncomfortable yet, but then again my ears seem to be perfect fit for these.
I don't hear anything from 1am2 but 1a apparently had that creaking issue even more.

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #510 of 1,177
Brainwavz Hybrids are mostly pleather. They have velour only on the part that touches skin so maybe they could work?

I've tried BW Hybrid, Pleather, and Sheepskin on Meze 99 Classics, and there is no mods that could achieve stock pads sound, not even near.
Even if you tried BW Pleather/Sheepskin on 1am2 i don't think it will sound great, the size, depth of BW pads are too big compared to stock,
Meze 99 Classics stock pads or MSR7 could work because the difference isn't that huge even then it will still change sound, it's hard to guess, need to try it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back