Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Apr 16, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #2,596 of 2,667
You should know that the MDR-1A does have a port (top of the ear cups) so it will leak some sound out and it also leaks some sound in and the ports will have some wind noise in windy conditions
Thanks, that was one concern about these headphones I noticed but wasn’t sure how bad it was. The 770 has little port holes too but they don’t seem to leak.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #2,597 of 2,667
Thanks! Which would you say has the better soundstage?
The Meze has better sound stage, among the best ever. If you have normal to flat ears you're fine. If they stick out, the pads will not be deep enough. If you have even average sized ears stock Sony pads will be a very snug fit and your ears will heat up if it's hot outside. The venting does mean they are not super sealed, and maybe not ideal outside in wind or a noisy area. Meze are better sealed and don't get as warm, but are not as portable. If you like in-ears and want amazing bass that doesn't bleed into the mids, try the Sony MDRXB50AP. Best price is found at B&H Photo for $29 new. You can also find it for less in open box, "New (Other)" condition on EBay. At $19 with free shipping at link (https://ebay.to/2EPGGy1), these are worth a listen for very little risk. Should you not mind paying more and recharging them every other day, consider Bose QC35 (version 1 or 2 sound the same). Extreme light comfort, fits any ears comfortably. You can probably find Version 1 on EBay for a very low price, in like new condition. They sound bad with the NR off, with it on, the highs are not as high quality as the ones I discuss above, but at least they're not harsh. The mids are great, no low mid or high bass bloat, and the sub bass is amazing. The case is small and great for travel, it's all really well built.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #2,599 of 2,667
Hello! I heard that MDR-1A has an issue from the box that one can (left one, as I remember) sounds a bit more loudly that another one. Is this true?

Never heard of that issue and don't have that problem myself.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #2,600 of 2,667
The Meze has better sound stage, among the best ever. If you have normal to flat ears you're fine. If they stick out, the pads will not be deep enough. If you have even average sized ears stock Sony pads will be a very snug fit and your ears will heat up if it's hot outside. The venting does mean they are not super sealed, and maybe not ideal outside in wind or a noisy area. Meze are better sealed and don't get as warm, but are not as portable. If you like in-ears and want amazing bass that doesn't bleed into the mids, try the Sony MDRXB50AP. Best price is found at B&H Photo for $29 new. You can also find it for less in open box, "New (Other)" condition on EBay. At $19 with free shipping at link (https://ebay.to/2EPGGy1), these are worth a listen for very little risk. Should you not mind paying more and recharging them every other day, consider Bose QC35 (version 1 or 2 sound the same). Extreme light comfort, fits any ears comfortably. You can probably find Version 1 on EBay for a very low price, in like new condition. They sound bad with the NR off, with it on, the highs are not as high quality as the ones I discuss above, but at least they're not harsh. The mids are great, no low mid or high bass bloat, and the sub bass is amazing. The case is small and great for travel, it's all really well built.
In this case seems like the Meze would be better for me if I decide to get a new headphone but...I’m finding these 770’s to sound really good after all, they’re just honest. Anything poorly made and you will know it. I don’t hear sibilance or brittleness on much of my music. Now I can determine what was recorded/mastered too hot or sibilant. The sibilance is probably a little more than other headphones but I’m sure it’ll still be there. Play something that sounds good, and these sound brilliant.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #2,601 of 2,667
In this case seems like the Meze would be better for me if I decide to get a new headphone but...I’m finding these 770’s to sound really good after all, they’re just honest. Anything poorly made and you will know it. I don’t hear sibilance or brittleness on much of my music. Now I can determine what was recorded/mastered too hot or sibilant. The sibilance is probably a little more than other headphones but I’m sure it’ll still be there. Play something that sounds good, and these sound brilliant.
I used to use a 770 as a portable and really liked it. Sadly it got quite hot in the summer and was a little on the large side for a portable, but I agree the 770 was quite enjoyable.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #2,602 of 2,667
I used to use a 770 as a portable and really liked it. Sadly it got quite hot in the summer and was a little on the large side for a portable, but I agree the 770 was quite enjoyable.
Did you have the velour pads? It’s April here in Massachusetts but it certainly doesn’t feel like spring yet...so haven’t been able to judge how they do in hot humid weather.

One thing about the 770’s I must say, is that even after a month they still clamp kinda hard. The velours feel very nice but I often feel the sides of my face get a little squeezed. Could be due to their size/weight and hoping it’ll loosen up a little more. It’s clamp could be what is making these sound a little “intense”.

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #2,603 of 2,667
Beyer Dynamic T51p or B&O H6 (2nd Gen) are my favourite portable headphones, my MDR1A even though I love it cannot be used outside due to the noise from the wind

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #2,604 of 2,667
Did you have the velour pads? It’s April here in Massachusetts but it certainly doesn’t feel like spring yet...so haven’t been able to judge how they do in hot humid weather.

One thing about the 770’s I must say, is that even after a month they still clamp kinda hard. The velours feel very nice but I often feel the sides of my face get a little squeezed. Could be due to their size/weight and hoping it’ll loosen up a little more. It’s clamp could be what is making these sound a little “intense”.
My pads were velour, and I just found them too hot. We get pretty hot summers here so despite being a winter region, the summer is hot and often humid. If you haven't used a larger over-ear as a portable before you may want to keep that in mind. Personally for spring and summer I only use on-ear as my portables hence why earlier I mentioned the Fidelio M1 MKII. If you like the 770 signature I can't imagine you not enjoying the Fidelio. The other thing that is nice about the M1 MKII is the clamp pressure is quite acceptable so comfort is pretty darn good as well.

Apr 16, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #2,605 of 2,667
My pads were velour, and I just found them too hot. We get pretty hot summers here so despite being a winter region, the summer is hot and often humid. If you haven't used a larger over-ear as a portable before you may want to keep that in mind. Personally for spring and summer I only use on-ear as my portables hence why earlier I mentioned the Fidelio M1 MKII. If you like the 770 signature I can't imagine you not enjoying the Fidelio. The other thing that is nice about the M1 MKII is the clamp pressure is quite acceptable so comfort is pretty darn good as well.
Thank you for this info. The 770’s aren’t super portable anyway so more likely than not I won’t be wearing them outside. I have earbuds for that.

Apr 16, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #2,606 of 2,667
Thank you for this info. The 770’s aren’t super portable anyway so more likely than not I won’t be wearing them outside. I have earbuds for that.
No worries, for some reason I had it in my mind that you were using the 770 as a portable? My bad. Enjoy the 770.

Apr 16, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #2,607 of 2,667
No worries, for some reason I had it in my mind that you were using the 770 as a portable? My bad. Enjoy the 770.
Thanks! I bought them hoping I would be able to use them as a portable but I don’t think it’ll work out. They’re a little too big and they aren’t the most low key looking when walking around...and the cable, even though it’s shorter, might still be a bit too long to walk around with. But they serve their purpose, most of my listening these days is done at work and I bring them there, and I use them at home, and I will use them on longer train rides and flights.

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #2,609 of 2,667
Are there different versions of this headphone? Amazon France has the MDR-1AB (black) and MDR-1AS (silver) for €109 but there's also models named MDR-1AM2 and MDR-1ADAC for close to €250.
MDR-1A = MDR-1AB = MDR-1AS
MDR-1AM2 is supposed to be a different headphone but some have said its the same as a MDR-1A, it just is marketed at "high res"
MDR-1ADAC is a different headphone since it has a built in DAC

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #2,610 of 2,667
christ, i remember getting these for a couple of days for my birthday one year... i spent it at my grandmother's house, picking up the package the evening before we left. i remember wanting to burst in to tears at how expensive they were only to be cloaked in bass. lily allen - smile sounded on these like XTC does on the ath-m50s (headset makes the problem in otherwise great songs worse)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back