Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Jun 4, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #2,056 of 2,667
  Did you try Shure velour pads with the MDR-7506? it helps with comfort and tames some of the highs.  If you want a good closed headphone then the SRH-1540 is not bad but a little pricy, DT-1770 is not bad.  You can always mod the K553 for removable cables, not a very hard thing to do and no cutting needed.

They don't really benefit with an amp from my experience so far, amps I've used are Lyr2, Ember, UD-301, AH-01, Asgard2, VX1, and Magni.

I didn't try those pads with the 7506, might need to give it a shot though.  The fixed cable isn't a big deal on the K553, the main issue the headband hurting.  I purchased a knit pad for it and will try it out on Monday and see if it helps with comfort.  I have spend some time with the MDR-1A, and the sound stage just seems a bit closed in for me.  I much prefer the airy open high end of the K553, and was a bit dissapointed with the Sony's.  I think I will probably send them back and hope the headband pad helps with the AKGs, or keep looking for something else.  Seems like options are more limited for a good closed can.

Those 1540s are too expensive for me, but I will look into the DT-1770, thanks!

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #2,059 of 2,667
Sony MDR-1A or 

Sennheiser Momentum 
?

I had them both - I would go for the Sony unless it's the momentum 2 - then I would reverse it. However, the Sony is way more comfortable, one of the most comfortable headphones ever.

Cheers.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #2,060 of 2,667
  Sony MDR-1A or 

Sennheiser Momentum ?

as @Koolpep noted above MDR-1A over original Momentum
Momentum 2 over MDR-1A
If comfort is important then MDR-1A
If fashion is important then original momentum on-ear in what color you like best, I've given these as presents and girls love the pink version and they sound much better than what most were using.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #2,062 of 2,667
  I have the sony 10rcs right now and i am getting a lg v10, which has a dac and an amp. I am a noob when it comes to this,  i do not know if sony 1a's would be a big upgrade? 

I think the 10RC is the on-ear version of the 1A by the way its described, how much of an improvement are the MDR-1A over the 10RC is hard to say but I don't think it will be a lot as the designs are quite similar.  But with all thing audio you really want to audition these and who knows you might find other headphones that you like better, take your 10RC with you and your LG V10 and try to compare the 10RC with other headphones just to see what sound signature you like.  I assume you are looking at the 1A because there is something that the 10RC does not do to your liking?

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #2,063 of 2,667
  I have the sony 10rcs right now and i am getting a lg v10, which has a dac and an amp. I am a noob when it comes to this,  i do not know if sony 1a's would be a big upgrade? 

I have the MDR-1A and I have tried the MDR-10RC in a showroom.
Bass in 10RC was boomier than 1A and it covered the mids a bit. The 1A has better refinement across all frequencies, better separation and soundstage.
But as DavidA suggested, better try yourself, see which you like best.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #2,064 of 2,667
Hi guys, received my mdr-1a, im enjoying the sound, but im a bit disappointed, i blame my players for this, my old notebook, iPod nano 2gen and a Motorola moto g 1gen, the notebook best one, now im thinking in buying, a amp, dac or dap that could put my mdr to the maximum, im planning to buy the e11k, M3 or X1, which of these do you think are better to get better SQ with the MDR-1A?

Btw, the box of my MDR says it is 48ohm, its a diferent version?

And im having problems with imbalance, the right can is stronger.

Thanks guys.

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #2,065 of 2,667
Hi guys, received my mdr-1a, im enjoying the sound, but im a bit disappointed, i blame my players for this, my old notebook, iPod nano 2gen and a Motorola moto g 1gen, the notebook best one, now im thinking in buying, a amp, dac or dap that could put my mdr to the maximum, im planning to buy the e11k, M3 or X1, which of these do you think are better to get better SQ with the MDR-1A?

Btw, the box of my MDR says it is 48ohm, its a diferent version?

And im having problems with imbalance, the right can is stronger.

Thanks guys.

I've been using X3, X3ii and X1, they all sound pretty good but X1sounds best due to the slightly more forward mids IMO.

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #2,067 of 2,667
But do you think the X1 is much better than the M3? And the e11k or e07k would be even better??

Sorry, can't help you there since I've never heard the M3 or used either the e11k or e07k, the X1 has more than enough power to properly drive the MDR-1A, adding an amp would not make much of a difference, if any IMO. 

I tried the MDR-1a with my Sandisk clip sport and even this low power DAP will drive them quite well.  Based on this the M3 should work just as well as the X1 but I don't know if there will be a difference in sound but I think it would be more of a preference that "better"

I also tried the MDR-1A on my desktop system (Bifrost MB/uber, UD-301, Project Ember, Asgard2, Lyr2 and BH Crack) and they sound about the same as from the X1, these don't scale at all once you reach a certain level from what I've experienced.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,068 of 2,667
Sorry, can't help you there since I've never heard the M3 or used either the e11k or e07k, the X1 has more than enough power to properly drive the MDR-1A, adding an amp would not make much of a difference, if any IMO. 

I tried the MDR-1a with my Sandisk clip sport and even this low power DAP will drive them quite well.  Based on this the M3 should work just as well as the X1 but I don't know if there will be a difference in sound but I think it would be more of a preference that "better"

I also tried the MDR-1A on my desktop system (Bifrost MB/uber, UD-301, Project Ember, Asgard2, Lyr2 and BH Crack) and they sound about the same as from the X1, these don't scale at all once you reach a certain level from what I've experienced.

Thanks for your help, i think i'll end buying the M3 and a little amp to use it with my ps4 controller.

One more thing, its normal tô feel the bass more than hear it? My MDR vibrantes a lot when the bass hits, but i hear well only when its upper bass, subbass i have tô pay attention to hear a bit, i only feel the HP shaking.

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #2,069 of 2,667
Thanks for your help, i think i'll end buying the M3 and a little amp to use it with my ps4 controller.

One more thing, its normal tô feel the bass more than hear it? My MDR vibrantes a lot when the bass hits, but i hear well only when its upper bass, subbass i have tô pay attention to hear a bit, i only feel the HP shaking.

The sub bass vibrates more so its normal to feel it more than hear it but if you want to hear the sub bass more with the MDR-1A you can do the dynamat mod to the ear cups which will tighten up the bass letting you hear more of it rather than feel it.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #2,070 of 2,667
I not liked the modification, and reversed it. The Bass hit too much in the cans, it was shorter, but much more overwhelming.

I don't think, you need an Amp with these one. Some Amp's will smoothen the sound even more. I advice that you use a dap with an equalizer.  On  a computer, you can also use one on a program like J River, or if you really use the computer most, buy a Dac key, like the Dragonfly or M2 Tech.

The Sony HAS Bass bleeding. On some sources that will be more obvious then others.  Yesterday, as everybody was a sleep I watched a concert of Paul Mccartney. With the A 1, it was dull, lacking sprankle. I then put the ATH ES 7 on, and everything came alive. It was like a filter was removed. The guitars were more defined, and the playing was with so much more joy. It gave me more the feeling, to come up jump and shout.

The A 1 is restraint. It is relaxing, but somehow can miss some excitement, while the ATH ES 7 is the more fun headphone. But you have to keep this in mind : A headphone can become tiring. How fun the Ath ES 7 is, if you travel a long way, it becomes tiring, even if the balance is good. It is NOT an agressive sounding headphone, there is sparkling  yes, but the general impression is stil warm and the bass is stronger then on the Sony, but so much tighter. But it plays more inside your head, and fatigue is there much easier. 

I do 45 minutes walks here in the hills. If I put on some music, Pop/Rock, the ATH ES 7 gives me wings. But traveling, a quiet moment in the evening, the soundstage and refinement of the A 1 are then more welcome. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back