Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Feb 5, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #1,744 of 2,667
It gets too hot for me here in Hawaii, HD-700 would be a 9.5, K7XX a 9.5, HD-800 9, SRH-1840 a 9, these just breath better and stay cool.  As I noted that is just me.

I haven't found them to be any more hot than any other headphones I've had for a while tho I do live in California so it gets down in the 50s during the winter. Haha.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #1,746 of 2,667
Folks, which one do you recommedn me better MDR-1A or ULTRASONE PERF 880?

if one has heard them how they compare... which is BEST FOR CLASSICAL MUSIC, from BAROQUE to ROMANTICISM

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #1,747 of 2,667

if one has heard them how they compare... which is BEST FOR CLASSICAL MUSIC, from BAROQUE to ROMANTICISM

The beyerdynamic DT 660 was supposed to be one of the best headphones for classical.

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #1,748 of 2,667

I would never listen to classical on MDR-1A, never heard Ultrasone Perf 880 so I can't comment on it.  For classical its HD-800, T-1, or SR-009 right now.

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #1,751 of 2,667
  Not sure why you wouldn't.  I just listened to Tchaikovsky's 6th last night and it was fantastic on the 1A's.

The reason was listed right above, HD-800, T-1 or SR-009 for classical are my go to headphones.  Also, the MDR-1A is congested sounding due to its closed form to me, but everyone has their own preferences.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #1,753 of 2,667
Sooo... Finally i got my pair of MDR-1A´s. I bought them in Yodobashi Akiba, Tokyo, where you can try all the headphones and earphones, i cannot even estimate how many, hundreds of them. So i took my Fiio X3 II, fully charged, my best FLAC recordings, and spent almost a day there. I own 9 other pair of cans, i was looking for something between the KEF M500, and the Monster Inspiration. I really like the KEF, nice mids and highs, but lacks the bottom end. The Monster is the opposite, too bass heavy, even for me. (I like the full, bassy, rich sound). After trying almost all on-ear and over-ear cans (from a wide price range, up to about 500 dollars), i noticed that i constantly walk back to the MDR-1A´s. I found some great ones, even surprisingly good ones, as the B&O Form 2, and some cheaper Audio Technica´s), but i guess i just found what i was looking for. Has more bottom and punch as the KEF´s, but the bass isn´t overwhelming as it by the Monsters. Healthy amount of lows, although the bass is a bit loose, not perfectly controlled, still amazing how good these Sony´s sound. I tested the Sony´s with a wide spectrum of music, from Brian Bromberg to Mtallica, folk, country, and techno also. These are the most versatile cans i ever had, for sure. Even one of my all time favourite albums, Blind Melon from Blind Melon, which is infamously flat sounding, comes with good punch, dynamics. Great. In addition, the MDR-1A is light, and extremely comfortable. I paid about 220 bucks for it in yen, and i have to say, it was probably the best deal ever i made on headphones.

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #1,754 of 2,667
@Tomtattoo, that is so funny, our experiences are so similar, but ultimately differ on the KEF versus MDR 1A. I had the Sony and I kept going back to my local audio shop to listen to the M500. After a few sessions I opted for the M500 and sold the Sony. Really, really liked the Sony, but the bass bloom was just too much for me. I listen to a lot of electronica so the bass is of course typically pronounced. If you listen to less bass intense music I could see the Sony working well as it will flesh out lean songs. The KEF had awesome bass I thought, but cleaner and without the boominess that the Sony could exhibit. Regardless, for $220 you did very well. The 1A is very nice and nothing beats it for comfort that I have tried.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,755 of 2,667
Believe it or not, i actually agree. The KEF M500´s are better cans in terms of high fidelity. More linear, more realistic sound, because of the less bass boom you mentioned. More "honest". what you have on your recordigs, you will hear. This is positive. Or not? I remember, when Mark Levinson created his passive equaliser, the Cello, in the 80´s or 90´s, sorry it was ages ago, he did it on a purpose. He said he knows some hifi freaks with mega expensive systems, and they listen to only 5 cd´s... I felt the same with the KEF´s. I´ve got about 120 albums on my Fiio X3 II´s, and i noticed, when i use the KEF´s, i listen to about 10 albums, the ten best recordings (not necesseraly the 10 best in terms of music!), cuz in case of the others the KEF brings out all the flaws, For example, the album, Blind Melon, sounds really flat. As it is originally, basically. Realistic, but not enjoyable. But when i change to the Sony´s, i can listen to all of my albums, even i can enjoy the worst ones. So, basically i sacrifice the real high fidelity, just to listen to more music. But, as the KEF´s are really good, I´ll keep them anyway, won´t sell them for sure. But i still think that the Sony´s are more versatile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back