Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Feb 24, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #1,771 of 2,667
I tried the MDR-1A's back in tokyo in december and im heading back to the land of sushi once again in march! 220 seems like a steal for these! were they on some special discount? 

No, they werent. And remember, as you are a tourist, if you give them your passport, they give you 10 percent discount, and if you pay by VISA card, they give you 5 more precent discount too. :)

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #1,772 of 2,667
  Sorry, I meant a balanced wired connection. ( With a balanced capable DAP )

Ah easy misinterpretation lol.

Sony's official site:

Balanced audio cuts cross-talk

With a balanced four-wire connection and silver-copper dual cord, audio channel separation is improved for better sound. Unlike conventional headphones, which share a ground wire, the cord includes left, right, and independent ground wires for both channels, so you hear less distortion and crosstalk. 

So yes, it's balanced.

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #1,774 of 2,667

Ah easy misinterpretation lol.

Sony's official site:

Balanced audio cuts cross-talk

With a balanced four-wire connection and silver-copper dual cord, audio channel separation is improved for better sound. Unlike conventional headphones, which share a ground wire, the cord includes left, right, and independent ground wires for both channels, so you hear less distortion and crosstalk. 

So yes, it's balanced.

Yes, I know it's balanced, was looking for any feedback on how they sound. ( balanced ) ?

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #1,776 of 2,667
Feb 29, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #1,777 of 2,667
  You EQd something you think is bloated by rasing the 100hz to +6db? oO

Got these recently, using with pha-1a. Straight out they sounded glaring sharp and bloated. EQd the +6db at 100hz and 8k-10k, satisfied with the result.

Also EQd the 8k-10k by +6db and they were glaring sharp?  I think they might have lowered them by 6db, would make more sense.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #1,779 of 2,667
Hey guys, so I'm looking for a really comfortable headphone (preferably closed) for mostly home usage and some occasional travel. I was wondering if the mdr1a would be worth it for mainly home usage. My main priority for these would be comfort, so I am willing to sacrifice the portability if something like the dt880 or dt990 premium is more comfortable.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #1,780 of 2,667
Hey guys, so I'm looking for a really comfortable headphone (preferably closed) for mostly home usage and some occasional travel. I was wondering if the mdr1a would be worth it for mainly home usage. My main priority for these would be comfort, so I am willing to sacrifice the portability if something like the dt880 or dt990 premium is more comfortable.

Both the 1A and the 100AAP are fantastic Sony offerings.  I prefer the 100AAP because the bass isn't quite as boomy. And it's 100 bucks cheaper @ 200. Otherwise, both are fantastic.

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #1,781 of 2,667

Have both the 1A and 990 premium, 990 way more comfortable due to larger softer ear pads that breath.  The 1A is very comfortable be gets hot to fast for me.

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,784 of 2,667
  I increase subbass always with my all headphones, very low bass, 20hz +3db, 25hz +3db, 31hz +3db.

What if the driver and enclosure design limits the ability of the headphone to reproduce those frequencies? If there are actual limitations which there are typically how can simply boosting them help? I have often wondered about this. If the headphone has limitations why would an equalizer boost overcome them? Presumably the reason you don't hear the frequencies at enough of an amplitude is that the headphone isn't able to reproduce the frequency or the music itself has very little information in the mix for those frequencies, and or the amplitude is low. If these are true, and I'm not absolutely sure these are true, then by boosting in these situations is going to result in a null or possibly even distortion. I'm not an expert, but in general boosting has the potential for negative impacts does it not? I know there are several variables to consider, but I think the notion of boosting always being a positive is worth considering.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,785 of 2,667
  What if the driver and enclosure design limits the ability of the headphone to reproduce those frequencies? If there are actual limitations which there are typically how can simply boosting them help? I have often wondered about this. If the headphone has limitations why would an equalizer boost overcome them? Presumably the reason you don't hear the frequencies at enough of an amplitude is that the headphone isn't able to reproduce the frequency or the music itself has very little information in the mix for those frequencies, and or the amplitude is low. If these are true, and I'm not absolutely sure these are true, then by boosting in these situations is going to result in a null or possibly even distortion. I'm not an expert, but in general boosting has the potential for negative impacts does it not? I know there are several variables to consider, but I think the notion of boosting always being a positive is worth considering.

I had a problem with one headphones when i use sub bass eq and high volume - sennheiser urbanite xl, with my other headphones i dont have the same problem, and i can hear 20hz, i use eq because i want more of them, i greatly enjoy clean sub bass rumble, is a big pleasure for me, and my AKG K550 and AudioQuest NightHawks can take it, and can take it without any distortion at high volumes.
3 db up is not much at all, if you do 6 or 8 db with a headphone that cant go as low, then you gonna have a problem for sure, but not with my beasts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back