Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Apr 4, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #601 of 2,667

+1, doing the bass mod help keep the bass from becoming muddy.

Did you also try some EQ cuts for the worst frequencies? For instance, the Z7 NEEDS a cut at 250hz. Using the built in parametric EQ in JRiver I cut the 250hz by -2.5db with a Q value of .6 and that certainly helped so for those who don't want to mod like I don't, an EQ cut can be very helpful if done modestly. The typical offenders are 125hz, 250hz, 500hz (and sometimes 1000hz). Try one frequency at a time and do modest adjustments. Listen for a while and see if you like the effect before adding another cut. Perhaps just one cut is enough. For portable rigs there is a most excellent player that works for Android, Apple and Blackberry called Neutron Player. About $8 from any app store and WELL worth it. True audiophile player, pretty darn good UI, regular free updates and he uses a parametric EQ which is great.
Agree. The 1A totally needs eq in the bass as well. Something like -3 to -5 dB from around 150Hz and downwards helps immensely. You can really hear that the bass, which at first can feel flabby and uncontrolled un-equalized is quite the contrary, but regrettably too elevated. When eqing down to more normal levels, the bass region shines with great texture and lovely controlled sound. Massive amounts when called for, but tight and just right with all genres.

While it's a bit sad that Sony choose to elevate the bass a bit too much, I'd rather have it this way than an anemic bass. It's often way easier to eq down than up imho.

In short, with we applied, the 1A is a killer! :)

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #602 of 2,667
Agree. The 1A totally needs eq in the bass as well. Something like -3 to -5 dB from around 150Hz and downwards helps immensely. You can really hear that the bass, which at first can feel flabby and uncontrolled un-equalized is quite the contrary, but regrettably too elevated. When eqing down to more normal levels, the bass region shines with great texture and lovely controlled sound. Massive amounts when called for, but tight and just right with all genres.

While it's a bit sad that Sony choose to elevate the bass a bit too much, I'd rather have it this way than an anemic bass. It's often way easier to eq down than up imho.

In short, with we applied, the 1A is a killer!
smily_headphones1.gif

I would love to do this, but my player now is the Sony A17, which is fantastic, but only has a graphic EQ so I hesitate to use it. I'm going to try mind you as what you are saying sounds so plausible. I'm actually surprised just how good the 1A sounds, and with better  controlled, less boomy bass they would be stunning. I know it isn't truly portable, but I'm using the PHA 3 with the 1As and that is a saucy combination.

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #603 of 2,667
  Quick question guys...
SONY MDR-1A or Audio-Technica ATH-M50x ?

Depends on the cost and how you will be mostly using the headphone

MDR-1A:  if the cost is within $75 of the M50x and you don't need good isolation from out side noise, like bass slightly over done, value comfort over sound quality, and don't need different length cables.  (a few pages back I posted that the connector on the 1A is not a standard one)

ATH-M50x: if you need cables of different lengths, good isolation from out side noise, a more neutral sound signature (than 1A), and if cost is an issue.  The M50x is a very comfortable headphone but not as comfortable as the 1A but you can put on the shure velour pads and it will be about the same as the 1A.

Just my take on these two pretty good headphones.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #604 of 2,667
  MDR-1A:  if the cost is within $75 of the M50x and you don't need good isolation from out side noise, like bass slightly over done, value comfort over sound quality, and don't need different length cables.  (a few pages back I posted that the connector on the 1A is not a standard one)

What about noise getting outside? How much do ppl sitting near you in a bus hear?

Very interested in the BT version, the MDR-1ABT, that should be available in a few weeks.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #605 of 2,667
What about noise getting outside? How much do ppl sitting near you in a bus hear?

Very interested in the BT version, the MDR-1ABT, that should be available in a few weeks.

There's very little sound leakage in my experience, but I don't listen to music at high volumes. I don't think you'll bother anyone on the bus though.

I'm rocking them right now with trance music and they sound awesome.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #606 of 2,667

very little sound leaks out of the bass vent, my girlfriend can be sleeping right next to me and it doesn't bother her

As for BT version, I thinks i read somewhere on Head-Fi that they don't sound as good because of all the additional electronics within the ear cup, can't remember where I read that so can't provide a link for you

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #607 of 2,667
Yes, I also wonder how much sound leaks out at loud levels which I listen at. I would feel bad if the people around me on the bus have to deal with sound leakage. I have never heard anybody who felt that wireless technology was at the point where sound quality wasn't degraded to an audible extent. Live with the wire, it's not that bad. Perhaps in 5 years wireless will be indistinguishable in sound quality and then we can all ditch the wires. I guess that is a catch 22. If nobody embraces the current state of technology in wireless then research and innovation will dry up as producers will lack the motivation to pump the cash and time into it. Or perhaps they will realize that the reason few use the technology isn't because it isn't a pending and massive market (it certainly is), the technology just isn't there yet for many consumer needs.

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #608 of 2,667
  Yes, I also wonder how much sound leaks out at loud levels which I listen at. I would feel bad if the people around me on the bus have to deal with sound leakage. I have never heard anybody who felt that wireless technology was at the point where sound quality wasn't degraded to an audible extent. Live with the wire, it's not that bad. Perhaps in 5 years wireless will be indistinguishable in sound quality and then we can all ditch the wires. I guess that is a catch 22. If nobody embraces the current state of technology in wireless then research and innovation will dry up as producers will lack the motivation to pump the cash and time into it. Or perhaps they will realize that the reason few use the technology isn't because it isn't a pending and massive market (it certainly is), the technology just isn't there yet for many consumer needs.

non-audiophiles gladly embrace bluetooth for the sake of convenience and the non-audiophile consumer makes up the majority of headphone sales. so the tech will advance regardless of audiophile support.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #609 of 2,667
  non-audiophiles gladly embrace bluetooth for the sake of convenience and the non-audiophile consumer makes up the majority of headphone sales. so the tech will advance regardless of audiophile support.

I guess that is true, hopefully the R&D continues.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #610 of 2,667
Hi, I'm looking for a 3 meter third party cable for this headphone, the original Sony cable is a bit too expensive for me with the price of 110USD*. I'm searching for a plain cable, no controls / mic needed, any suggestions?

* http://store.sony.com/high-performance-home-audio-cable-for-mdr-1a-zid27-MUCS30UM1/cat-27-catid-All-Portable-Audio-Cables

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #611 of 2,667
  Hi, I'm looking for a 3 meter third party cable for this headphone, the original Sony cable is a bit too expensive for me with the price of 110USD*. I'm searching for a plain cable, no controls / mic needed, any suggestions?

* http://store.sony.com/high-performance-home-audio-cable-for-mdr-1a-zid27-MUCS30UM1/cat-27-catid-All-Portable-Audio-Cables

Ask cCasper TFG to quote you on making a cable. He did a super fast job for me with excellent results, not sure what the pricing will be but never hurts to ask right?

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #612 of 2,667

try this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201161650856?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=500336697752&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I got this for my X1 but it also will work with the MDR-1A, the collar is small enough to fit inside the opening of the 1A.

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #613 of 2,667
Apr 6, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #614 of 2,667
it works, I posted a picture of a cable that has the same connectors a while back.  The only thing proprietary is the collar being smaller than normal, no software involved,  the 4 pin cable is for using the controls with a phone.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #615 of 2,667
  it works, I posted a picture of a cable that has the same connectors a while back.  The only thing proprietary is the collar being smaller than normal, no software involved,  the 4 pin cable is for using the controls with a phone.

Sure we're using the same headphone? I just hooked a 3.5mm male-to-male, no sound.

Also, no, I'm not talking about the input side, I'm talking about the output side. The output side (where you connect to your headphones) is a balanced setup (ie. L and R grounds are separate), different from your run-of-the-mill. Hell, even the old MDR-1R connectors don't work with the 1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back