Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Apr 6, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #616 of 2,667
  Sure we're using the same headphone? I just hooked a 3.5mm male-to-male, no sound.

Also, no, I'm not talking about the input side, I'm talking about the output side. The output side (where you connect to your headphones) is a balanced setup (ie. L and R grounds are separate), different from your run-of-the-mill. Hell, even the old MDR-1R connectors don't work with the 1A.

You are not getting sound because its not plugged in all the way. 
See picture:

its not a balanced plug, that 4 pin is for using with phones to stop/start/etc.  Take a look at the other cable that it came without the controls for the phone, the side that goes in to your source is only 3 pin, standard 3.5mm.  If you use a multi meter to check for continuity it will show that the top band (closest to plastic collar) has no continuity, meaning its not used.
Hope that clears things up, if you still have questions let me know.

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #617 of 2,667
  You are not getting sound because its not plugged in all the way. 
See picture:

its not a balanced plug, that 4 pin is for using with phones to stop/start/etc.  Take a look at the other cable that it came without the controls for the phone, the side that goes in to your source is only 3 pin, standard 3.5mm.  If you use a multi meter to check for continuity it will show that the top band (closest to plastic collar) has no continuity, meaning its not used.
Hope that clears things up, if you still have questions let me know.

On the other cable, you still have the same thing: a separate ground for L and R. Of course, the pin that goes to the source is 3-pin (hence, unbalanced). Perhaps I used the wrong word here (I blame Sony here): unlike other headphones where the L and R ground is shared (not on the source end, on the headphone end), Sony for whatever reason chose to separate it on the headphone end.

If you say it works with regular 3.5mm male-to-male, more power to you, because I was always under the impression Sony, to keep it properietary, mixed up the order of the tips, rings and sleeves, hence preventing it from working with regular 3.5mm jacks.

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #618 of 2,667

On the other cable, you still have the same thing: a separate ground for L and R. Of course, the pin that goes to the source is 3-pin (hence, unbalanced). Perhaps I used the wrong word here (I blame Sony here): unlike other headphones where the L and R ground is shared (not on the source end, on the headphone end), Sony for whatever reason chose to separate it on the headphone end.

If you say it works with regular 3.5mm male-to-male, more power to you, because I was always under the impression Sony, to keep it properietary, mixed up the order of the tips, rings and sleeves, hence preventing it from working with regular 3.5mm jacks.

I get what you are saying, the jack on the headphone looks like it has provisions for using a "balanced" cable but the cable that does not have the controller only has the standard tip, and 2 rings meaning that either the cable or jack on the headphone has to combine the grounds for it to work.

Easy way to find out what is going on is to use a multi meter to check continuity, which I found says that the grounds are combined in the headphone and both cables.

Sony did not mix up the order of the connector, tip (left), first ring (right), second ring (ground).

If the 3.5mm plug you tried when all the way in and didn't work then either our MDR-1As are wired different or there is something else different between them.

This is another cable I found will fit the smaller diameter of the 1A:
http://www.amazon.com/iKross-Braided-Sleeve-jacket-Auxiliary/dp/B00L5RIWGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428370749&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5mm+ikross

hope you can get a cable that work for you

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #619 of 2,667
  I get what you are saying, the jack on the headphone looks like it has provisions for using a "balanced" cable but the cable that does not have the controller only has the standard tip, and 2 rings meaning that either the cable or jack on the headphone has to combine the grounds for it to work.

Easy way to find out what is going on is to use a multi meter to check continuity, which I found says that the grounds are combined in the headphone and both cables.

Sony did not mix up the order of the connector, tip (left), first ring (right), second ring (ground).

If the 3.5mm plug you tried when all the way in and didn't work then either our MDR-1As are wired different or there is something else different between them.

This is another cable I found will fit the smaller diameter of the 1A:
http://www.amazon.com/iKross-Braided-Sleeve-jacket-Auxiliary/dp/B00L5RIWGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428370749&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5mm+ikross

hope you can get a cable that work for you

Oh yeah, of course the L and R grounds are merged in the end. After all, as you said, there's only a TRS termination on the end of it. Problem isn't that: the problem is that the TRS order is mixed up, or at least what I thought was. Bringing out the multimeter, I verified that the tip was L, 1st ring was R, and the remaining R and sleeve were ground.

Apologies for the mixup: jumped the gun there. Now, going to find out why the cable doesn't work, or not. I kinda like the cable right now: perfect for portable use. If I wanted a 3m monster, I'll just dish out my HD700 instead.

Thanks for the help mate.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #620 of 2,667

Oh yeah, of course the L and R grounds are merged in the end. After all, as you said, there's only a TRS termination on the end of it. Problem isn't that: the problem is that the TRS order is mixed up, or at least what I thought was. Bringing out the multimeter, I verified that the tip was L, 1st ring was R, and the remaining R and sleeve were ground.

Apologies for the mixup: jumped the gun there. Now, going to find out why the cable doesn't work, or not. I kinda like the cable right now: perfect for portable use. If I wanted a 3m monster, I'll just dish out my HD700 instead.

Thanks for the help mate.

Happy to help

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #622 of 2,667
  Happy to help

Stop all this ridiculous getting along and argue. It is so less exciting when people agree and are nice like this. Yuk.

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #623 of 2,667

Stop all this ridiculous getting along and argue. It is so less exciting when people agree and are nice like this. Yuk.

I agree. Let's start.

is better than.........

That's right, I said it. Fight me bro.

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #624 of 2,667

I agree. Let's start.

is better than.........

That's right, I said it. Fight me bro.

Okay you stupid punk, did you get dropped on your head at birth? What is your mjor malfunction?

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #625 of 2,667

Okay you stupid punk, did you get dropped on your head at birth? What is your mjor malfunction?

My major malfunction was that I even acknowledged your presence. A lion does not concern with him the feelings of sheep. Now scram, plebe.

/s

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #626 of 2,667

My major malfunction was that I even acknowledged your presence. A lion does not concern with him the feelings of sheep. Now scram, plebe.

/s

You do know I was totally joking right? I'm actually not a Beats hater.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #627 of 2,667

You do know I was totally joking right? I'm actually not a Beats hater.

Of course. Hence the /s.

Still, I'll give Beats credit where it's due: the ladies love them.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #628 of 2,667

Of course. Hence the /s.

And we love the ladies. Wait, you do love the ladies right?

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #629 of 2,667

Of course. Hence the /s.

I haven't heard a Beats in a few years so I can't comment there.

Most of the ladies I know rather have momentum on-ears (pink, blue, green, red) and at $58-62 for like-new ones on Amazon they make great gifts, already gave 4 of them for birthday presents.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #630 of 2,667

And we love the ladies. Wait, you do love the ladies right?

Damn right.
  I haven't heard a Beats in a few years so I can't comment there.

Most of the ladies I know rather have momentum on-ears (pink, blue, green, red) and at $58-62 for like-new ones on Amazon they make great gifts, already gave 4 of them for birthday presents.

Most of the ladies I know use Beats or Earpods. I need to get out of uni more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back