Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Apr 7, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #632 of 2,667
  Come visit Hawaii, many different ladies.

Not saying uni ladies are bad, it's just that too many prefer alcohol to headphones. That being said, I know someone who rocks a T5P to uni every day. Lucky for him, only I know how much it really costs.

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #634 of 2,667
these are on massdrop right now

Well I just ordered them for 134 euro on Amazon Spain. They do send them to the U.S. The price on the website is 163 euro but since the delivery address is outside Europe the included VAT is deducted and the price is 134 plus around 30 euro for international shipping - so you end up roughly with $165 shipped. This is for the silver ones by the way.

Link: http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00N3WWG36?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #635 of 2,667
Well I just ordered them for 134 euro on Amazon Spain. They do send them to the U.S. The price on the website is 163 euro but since the delivery address is outside Europe the included VAT is deducted and the price is 134 plus around 30 euro for international shipping - so you end up roughly with $165 shipped. This is for the silver ones by the way.

Link: http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00N3WWG36?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL

I noticed that the ones listed on Amazon Spain have a slightly different model number "MDR1AS.CE7."  Are these the same as versions sold in the US?

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #637 of 2,667
  I noticed that the ones on Amazon Spain have a slightly different model number: MDR1AB.CE7.  Are these the same as MDR-1A's manufactured for the US?

Not sure about the CE7, but the 'B' part stands for black. If you want silver, it's 'S'.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #638 of 2,667
  I noticed that the ones on Amazon Spain have a slightly different model number: MDR1AB.CE7.  Are these the same as MDR-1A's manufactured for the US?

Here are some pics, it actually just arrived a few minutes ago...didn't unpack it yet. It's the silver version. Click for full size picture.

Cheers,
K

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #639 of 2,667
I think they are exactly the same headphones - just the packaging is different (mentioning the different warranty terms, European warranty) etc.

But am curious if anything else is different. Can someone else post pictures of the packaging?

Cheers,
K

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #640 of 2,667
  I think they are exactly the same headphones - just the packaging is different (mentioning the different warranty terms, European warranty) etc.

But am curious if anything else is different. Can someone else post pictures of the packaging?

Cheers,
K

Ok, unpacked them and listened to them. They sound exactly the same as what I remembered them to sound when I listened to them in the US and in Europe, as well as here in our Sony flagship store.

I doubt there is sonically any difference, probably just the packaging with different warranty terms and languages printed on them....

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #641 of 2,667

Ok, unpacked them and listened to them. They sound exactly the same as what I remembered them to sound when I listened to them in the US and in Europe, as well as here in our Sony flagship store.

I doubt there is sonically any difference, probably just the packaging with different warranty terms and languages printed on them....

Thanks! if they sound and feel the same that's good enough for me.  Went ahead and ordered

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #642 of 2,667
Thanks! if they sound and feel the same that's good enough for me.  Went ahead and ordered

Cool. They are pretty nice. Especially for that price. Have to give them a serious workout on my ears tomorrow. :)

Cheers,
K

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #643 of 2,667
I have mine up on eBay at a great price, like new, never left the house, used 10 times. I am not going to be a Sony dealer so I need to move them out. $190 shipped Con-USA

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #644 of 2,667
I have mine up on eBay at a great price, like new, never left the house, used 10 times. I am not going to be a Sony dealer so I need to move them out. $190 shipped Con-USA

Sadly around here Sony doesn't get the respect they deserve. Yes, there is no doubt the lower frequencies are populist in that they are bumped up. However, what people seem to ignore is that with the most simple of an EQ cut this slight "bloom" can be tamed. I found the MDR 1A and Z7 both respond extremely well to gentle cuts (parametric EQ) of -1.5db at 250, 500 and 1000hz. In JRiver a Q value of .6 with the cuts works nicely.

Once you do that suddenly you hear that Sony does know what they are doing. The headphones with this adjustment are overall nicely balanced and articulate. I owned the NAD HP50 and I feel the 1A can sound equally as balanced, but if anything, more engaging. Sony seems to be musical and engaging. I have had my mint, and I mean MINT 1As listed at $155 US for a few weeks now and no bites. Shame people are seemingly so biased against such gems. The supreme comfort and very nice build quality of these are top shelf. I'm actually going to take my set off of offer as they are worth keeping. I think $190 shipped is quite reasonable. And no I'm not being a weasel, mine are going to be taken down right away, I just think this headphone deserves some love.

Experiment with some parametric EQ cuts, gentle cuts. Even if you like the strong bass. You still get most of the slam and impact, but you make the bass more tuneful, and you allow the overall sound to become more balanced. Well worth it.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #645 of 2,667

Sadly around here Sony doesn't get the respect they deserve. Yes, there is no doubt the lower frequencies are populist in that they are bumped up. However, what people seem to ignore is that with the most simple of an EQ cut this slight "bloom" can be tamed. I found the MDR 1A and Z7 both respond extremely well to gentle cuts (parametric EQ) of -1.5db at 250, 500 and 1000hz. In JRiver a Q value of .6 with the cuts works nicely.

Once you do that suddenly you hear that Sony does know what they are doing. The headphones with this adjustment are overall nicely balanced and articulate. I owned the NAD HP50 and I feel the 1A can sound equally as balanced, but if anything, more engaging. Sony seems to be musical and engaging. I have had my mint, and I mean MINT 1As listed at $155 US for a few weeks now and no bites. Shame people are seemingly so biased against such gems. The supreme comfort and very nice build quality of these are top shelf. I'm actually going to take my set off of offer as they are worth keeping. I think $190 shipped is quite reasonable. And no I'm not being a weasel, mine are going to be taken down right away, I just think this headphone deserves some love.

Experiment with some parametric EQ cuts, gentle cuts. Even if you like the strong bass. You still get most of the slam and impact, but you make the bass more tuneful, and you allow the overall sound to become more balanced. Well worth it.

the 1As are pretty good headphones for on the go as they are easy to drive and very comfortable, more so than my momentums (first gen), MDR-7506 w/ beyer velour pads and Ath-M50 with shure velour pads.  And yes sony stuff doesn't get much love around here.  As for asking $155 it might be a little high, I think there were some post in the deals thread which had new ones at $145 somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back