Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Apr 30, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #661 of 2,667
In our Sony flagship store they sell the PHA1A as THE amp to use with the A17 and MDR-1A while you shoul get the MDR-Z7, ZX2, PHA-3 combo if you have more money :)

Clever, selling you the whole chain...

I use a Fiio X1 & X3, for me, it will get the MDR-1A to painful volume level at 76 out of 100 on X1, it is also starting to distort at this point.  On the X3 its at 81 out of 120 but no distortion yet. I believe the X5 has more power than both the X1 & X3 so it should be able to get the 1A to fairly high levels.  I tested using 80's music (which I still love) but there are some recordings that are lower in recording levels and could use event more amplification.  One way I've corrected this is to edit the WAV file and raise the levels to get close to most recording being careful to stay below clipping, YMMV.

Thanks for your comments.

@Koolpep, the MDR-Z7, ZX2, PHA-3 combo is definitely out of my price range! But, I am considering the PHA-1A. I've done some research. In the UK, I should be able get the Sony A15 and the Sony PHA-1A together for around £370.

@DavidA. Personally, I would rather not have to edit the wav files of the 80s original CD recordings in order to get the extra amplification needed with the x3. But as you say, the x5 has more power than the x3. I can get the FiiO x5 and the FiiO E12 together for £375 in the UK. Which is around the same as the Sony option above.

Which of these options is better for using with MDR-1A headphones? Sony A15 with PHA-1A?, or FiiO x5 with E12? 

Any other suggestions in this price range would be welcome (for powerful dap/amp combo).
Are there any other DAPs for £370 or under that would be able to power the MDR-1As to a similar or better level as the options above, but by itself? For example, would the iBasso DX90 need a separate amp? Or the Hidizs AP100?

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #662 of 2,667

@Koolpep
, the MDR-Z7, ZX2, PHA-3 combo is definitely out of my price range! But, I am considering the PHA-1A. I've done some research. In the UK, I should be able get the Sony A15 and the Sony PHA-1A together for around £370.

@DavidA
. Personally, I would rather not have to edit the wav files of the 80s original CD recordings in order to get the extra amplification needed with the x3. But as you say, the x5 has more power than the x3. I can get the FiiO x5 and the FiiO E12 together for £375 in the UK. Which is around the same as the Sony option above.

Which of these options is better for using with MDR-1A headphones? Sony A15 with PHA-1A?, or FiiO x5 with E12? 

Any other suggestions in this price range would be welcome (for powerful dap/amp combo).
Are there any other DAPs for £370 or under that would be able to power the MDR-1As to a similar or better level as the options above, but by itself? For example, would the iBasso DX90 need a separate amp? Or the Hidizs AP100?

Well. The PHA-1A was made specifically for the MDR-1A so that might be something.

On the other hand, the DX90 and AP100 or a X5, X3ii can all dive the MDR-1A without an extra amp.

Sony players have great done quality but are relatively weak in the amp section. But I really like their build quality and user interface.

Cheers,
K

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #663 of 2,667

Thanks for your reply.

I get your point that a separate amp would be needed to go with the Walkman A15/A17, in order to get 80s CD recordings to an adequate volume level on the MDR-1A. You say "not ever", but have you tried using other DAPs?

I've read good reviews of the FiiO X5 and Hidizs AP100, anyone tried these with the MDR-1A? I'd rather pay a bit more for a more powerful DAP, if it means that I don't need to get a separate amp for it.

As DavidA said, the X5 would be a worthwhile upgrade as it will certainly achieve higher volumes. That said, they are pretty thick so I don't think you save any room per say, but you eliminate cables connecting the devices. The FiiO UI is improved quite a bit I hear, but it won't be beating Sony on that front, at least it isn't likely to so you need to decide what factors are important to you and then do the pros and cons thing to come up with the final decision. The other shame for you is if you opt to sell the A15 the resale value of Sony gear tends to be lower than I think other gear carries around here.

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #665 of 2,667

@Koolpep, the MDR-Z7, ZX2, PHA-3 combo is definitely out of my price range! But, I am considering the PHA-1A. I've done some research. In the UK, I should be able get the Sony A15 and the Sony PHA-1A together for around £370.

@DavidA. Personally, I would rather not have to edit the wav files of the 80s original CD recordings in order to get the extra amplification needed with the x3. But as you say, the x5 has more power than the x3. I can get the FiiO x5 and the FiiO E12 together for £375 in the UK. Which is around the same as the Sony option above.

When I say edit files, this is maybe like a 1 in 500 deal, I've edited only 5 or 6 songs to get the level up since they were really low.  I'm also one who doesn't like to carry around an extra amp, too bulky and just one more thing mess up the sound, but YMMV.

May 1, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #667 of 2,667
My MDR-1A have developed a bit of distortion in the right ear. any recommendations?

Could be just a hair that made it to the drivers or something like that... Worth checking....

Cheers,
K

May 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #669 of 2,667
  Anyone else experiencing creaking, more specifically in this region?

http://imgur.com/Mo1Kqit

Appears to be more prominent in the right side when I'm putting on the headphones or rotating the cups. 

Been an issue with these headphones and the mdr 1r series too.

Apply some graphite powder or a similar lubricant to the rotating section and rotate it a fair bit to work it in. Solved the same issue with my old mdr 1rmk2's and it never occurred again (lasted at least 8 months without needing another application so it might never need another after the first honestly).

May 6, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #670 of 2,667
I'm still wavering between this (MDR 1A) and ATH M50x.

My music is most of jpop (female vocalist), edm (somewhat basshead). I prefer deep, punchy, fast enough bass-speed which not overwhelming and beautiful/"sweet" mid-range because i listen to the most of female vocals. 

I could have the A1 for only ~$190 in my country and the M50x for ~$170.

May 6, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #671 of 2,667

My music is most of jpop (female vocalist), edm (somewhat basshead). I prefer deep, punchy, fast enough bass-speed which not overwhelming and beautiful/"sweet" mid-range because i listen to the most of female vocals. 

Easily the MDR1A: the M50x, for that price is WAY overpriced. Beats it in most ways I could think of: more punch bass, better soundstage, fuller mids.

May 6, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #672 of 2,667

As @dazzerfong said, the MDR-A1 at those prices.  A few things to remember about the MDR-1A:  IMO the bass is good after doing the bass mod and covering part of the vent on the top.  The cables that it comes with are both short and the connection to the headphone needs a smaller step down than most if you wanted a longer cable.  I posted a picture a few months ago on this thread to show difference of the step down size.  The MDR-1A will also leak more sound than the M50x and the M50x will fold up into a compact unit while the MDR-1a just folds the housings flat.

May 6, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #673 of 2,667
  As @dazzerfong said, the MDR-A1 at those prices.  A few things to remember about the MDR-1A:  IMO the bass is good after doing the bass mod and covering part of the vent on the top.  The cables that it comes with are both short and the connection to the headphone needs a smaller step down than most if you wanted a longer cable.  I posted a picture a few months ago on this thread to show difference of the step down size.  The MDR-1A will also leak more sound than the M50x and the M50x will fold up into a compact unit while the MDR-1a just folds the housings flat.

While there's certainly bloat, I honestly don't mind it for this certain 'style' of headphones. If I want the big kahuna, I'd go for something like the HD600's (or my HD700's). But when I'm on the go and just want to shake my head to some beats, the MDR-1A certainly satisfies it.

May 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #674 of 2,667
  Easily the MDR1A: the M50x, for that price is WAY overpriced. Beats it in most ways I could think of: more punch bass, better soundstage, fuller mids.

Thanks for your reply, i'm mostly use these at home, so the isolation & portability aren't my problems.  
I couldn't try the A1 because these aren't available at my local store. I did a try with the M50x, pretty impressed with the bass and the mid but the treble had a tad forwarded (slightly emphasized?) for my taste. My source is iphone 5s, i heard people call the iphones as bright-sounding?

So. how is the treble & bass (both quantity & quality) of the A1 compared to ath M50x ?

May 6, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #675 of 2,667
  Thanks for your reply, i'm mostly use these at home, so the isolation & portability aren't my problems.  
I couldn't try the A1 because these aren't available at my local store. I did a try with the M50x, pretty impressed with the bass and the mid but the treble had a tad forwarded (slightly emphasized?) for my taste. My source is iphone 5s, i heard people call the iphones as bright-sounding?

So. how is the treble & bass (both quantity & quality) of the A1 compared to ath M50x ?

If you are using the 5S I would get the MDR-1A, its easier to drive and IMO a little more musical.

This is between these two headphones only IMO, YMMV
Highs: a little more forward on the MDR-1A, I think better balanced on the M50x
Mids: just right on the MDR-1A, a little recessed on the M50x compared to the MDR-1A
Lows: a little muddy on the MDR-1A until I did the bass mod, goes lower than M50x, M50x is a little loose, not as full compared to MDR-1A

Comfort: MDR-1A soft pads, can get warm after a while, M50x pads not as soft and gets warm after a while also.  If you change the M50x pads to Beyerdynamic velour ones it get more comfortable but it will alter the sound a little, highs get a little recessed but the bass gets a little tighter, more controlled IMO.

@dazzerfong, agree with you for on the go the MDR-1A is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back